Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Fuel Door (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/fuel-door-17600.html)

sella 01-17-2011 09:25 PM

Fuel Door

2 Attachment(s)
Filled up for the first time tonight and I was a little surprised by the fuel door. It doesn't have a hanger for the gas cap. Am I missing something? :confused:

Only option I could see was hanging the plastic cable over the little hook on the door, but that seemed kinda odd.

White Chocolate 01-17-2011 09:26 PM

Re: Fuel Door

Are you serious??

It hangs off the hook....wow? lol

GR33N D3M0N 01-17-2011 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here ya go

jeffnin 01-17-2011 09:30 PM

You can push the white part of the fuel cap into the bracket in the upper left corner of picture #1. Just push it in there and it "locks" in place. Pull the cap out after fueling. It's confusing without a picture.

sella 01-17-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Chocolate (Post 336688)
Are you serious??

It hangs off the hook....wow? lol

Unfortunately, yes. I've never seen one like this.

Cperez 01-17-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnin (Post 336693)
You can push the white part of the fuel cap into the bracket in the upper left corner of picture #1. Just push it in there and it "locks" in place. Pull the cap out after fueling. It's confusing without a picture.

I hang mine from the black "top" of the gas cap...the part that's threaded. It's thin enough to just rest on that small clip. I also filled up at a station that had disabled its little pump clips that allow you to take your hand off the trigger. I was able to wedge the cap into the trigger area and keep the pump flowing (old trick obviously, but the WK2's plastic cable is long enough to do this).

sella 01-17-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 336700)
I hang mine from the black "top" of the gas cap...the part that's threaded. It's thin enough to just rest on that small clip. I also filled up at a station that had disabled its little pump clips that allow you to take your hand off the trigger. I was able to wedge the cap into the trigger area and keep the pump flowing (old trick obviously, but the WK2's plastic cable is long enough to do this).

I figured it was a stupid question, but sounds like there's a few ways folks use the various clips. Just seems a bit chintzy compared to what I've had on my previous vehicles, but I guess it's just a bit different.

Cperez 01-17-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sella (Post 336702)
I figured it was a stupid question, but sounds like there's a few ways folks use the various clips. Just seems a bit chintzy compared to what I've had on my previous vehicles, but I guess it's just a bit different.

I think we get so spoiled and delighted by the treasure trove of goodies in the 2011 that little shortcomings like this stand out even more by comparison. I prefer a holder that is in the shape of a "U" where you put the white threaded part of the cap in there sideways. We need one of our resident Mod Gods to come up with something, or get Black Ops to fabricate one out of carbon fiber. :lol:

sella 01-17-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 336707)
I think we get so spoiled and delighted by the treasure trove of goodies in the 2011 that little shortcomings like this stand out even more by comparison. I prefer a holder that is in the shape of a "U" where you put the white threaded part of the cap in there sideways. We need one of our resident Mod Gods to come up with something, or get Black Ops to fabricate one out of carbon fiber. :lol:

This is the first vehicle (or Jeep for that matter) that I've owned, rented or borrowed that didn't have the U style holder. Had me wondering if it there was a part missing. Anyway, I agree this Jeep has so many great features, that I'll just shut up about this one minor style difference.

Technosavant 01-17-2011 11:08 PM

I hang it from the little hook on the door by the plastic strap. That's how my Patriot was too. My wife's Acura has a little plastic ball on a small tether, you hang that off a not-dissimilar hook.

It's simple, but it works. No need for antigravity devices or a team of eunuchs.

Mashie 01-17-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 336707)

You know, I like the way you think!! Can we get some ambient lighting inside the gas door when it is opened as well :D :thumbsup:

Marlin 01-18-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 336700)

Yeah thats what I do on my WK.
I've never struck such a poor fuel cap arrangement. Requiring the ignition key to unlock drives me nuts! Seems consistent with american designs though :(

Why can't ALL manufacturers adopt the Citreon C4 method???? No cap, just pull the lever and the door opens, ready to fill!!!! FFS, it's 2011! lol

http://resources0.news.com.au/images...so-5470306.jpg