Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Hide-a-key solutions? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/hide-a-key-solutions-17630.html)

11962jeep 01-18-2011 04:02 PM

Hide-a-key solutions?

Just took delivery of my Cherokee Overland. Absolutely love it. But have discovered one little problem that I'm hoping one of you can find a solution for (delaership is no help).
I lose my keys. Alot.
So in addition to keeping an extra at home and in my office I like to stash an emergency extra key in a magnetic box on the underside of my vehicles. But with the keyless entry feature that comes standard with the fobs, this is no longer an option, as anyone would be able to unlock the car and drive away with the "hidden" key fob under the vehicle. My wife's Audi Q7 has a valet key that will open the door and start the car. I assumed the Jeep would also have a valet key. It doesn't. At first I thought the key inside the Fob could be used to start the car, but it can't. It just opens the door. And the dealership doesn't think it's possible to disable the keyless entry feature on a single Fob.
Any ideas out there?

Technosavant 01-18-2011 04:09 PM

Re: Hide-a-key solutions?

This is going to sound bad, but my solution is to keep better track of your keys. With this key design, you are correct- hide a key options won't work. You can't retrofit a traditional lock cylinder to it either. You're going to have to come up with a way to keep track of the fob.

MeanDean 01-18-2011 04:14 PM

Sorry, but I have to agree with Techno. However, this should be a lot easier with the passive entry. If you're a female keep the key in your purse - too easy. If you're a male, keep your key close to your wallet - always. Wallet goes in your pocket then so does your key. Wallet comes out, keep your key with it!

CrazyJ 01-18-2011 04:18 PM

I feel your pain. I have not one, but two keys hidden under my current car.

You'd be surprised how many times I've had to resort to the second backup!

JoeSchmoe007 01-18-2011 04:22 PM

Did you try removing the battery from hidden key fob (and keeping battery in the same magnetic box)? I wonder if keyless entry still works when there is no battery in keyfob.

Another suggestion is to disable keyless entry in EVIC.

pattyboy 01-18-2011 04:29 PM

Heres one buy spare key..remove battery put fob and battery in plastic zip loc put fob and( seperated battery) in lower half of air box then take valet key put in magnet hide a key to gain acess to open hood ...get spare key and assemble u should enjoy horn blowing n lights flashing.....this should cure u of losing keys

ncboverland 01-18-2011 04:42 PM

How about this:

http://www.hitchsafe.com/SUV-accessories.html

bpmcgee 01-18-2011 04:46 PM

You need to combine ncboverlands idea with pattyboys.

Pattyboy had the key -- take the battery out of the hidden fob so it won't work until you assemble it.

Ncboverland had the right idea about storage -- you don't want your $200 key fob to come loose and end up on the side of the road.

pattyboy 01-18-2011 04:50 PM

Thats why this site works ..... great minds to point out the ideas and a genius to make it work great job...... bpmcgee + 1 rep 2U

11962jeep 01-18-2011 05:26 PM

Great idea. How do I remove the battery to test this?

JoeSchmoe007 01-18-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11962jeep (Post 337173)
Great idea. How do I remove the battery to test this?

It's in the Owner's Manual (which is different from User's Guide booklet you get in glove compartment) PDF on page 28 (PDF pages) that equates to page 27 ("paper page numbering"):

"Insert the tip of the emergency key into the slot and
gently pry the two halves of the RKE transmitter apart.
Make sure not to damage the seal during removal." (PDF has picture)

Owner's Manual can be downloaded from Jeep.com

JoeSchmoe007 01-18-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncboverland (Post 337148)

Seems like an interesting idea but what prevents this hitch safe from being stolen very easily?