Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   clear bra on ACC sensor? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/clear-bra-on-acc-sensor-17631.html)

rdalcanto 01-18-2011 04:51 PM

clear bra on ACC sensor?

My clear bra is being installed. You guys see any problems with the film being applied on the sensor?

JTS97Z28 01-18-2011 07:38 PM

Re: clear bra on ACC sensor?

I dont know if anyone is going to know the answer to that question. I guess you could try it and see how it works once installed. I dont know for sure but I would imagine it would be fine especially since it has to work with layers of all sorts of crap from dirt, bugs, rain, mud, snow, salt etc etc. What problems could a perfectly clear layer of clear bra cause? :-) I say go for it worst case you just have to peel it off.

James

Cperez 01-18-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 337152)
My clear bra is being installed. You guys see any problems with the film being applied on the sensor?

Just be prepared-- you may find that the "1" distance setting on the ACC is now "1/4". :confused::eek::lol:

hemiman 01-18-2011 08:34 PM

Just had a clear bra installed on my GC and had the same thought. Decided not to after taking a closer look at the unit itself though. The glass lens seems almost bullet proof! I would guess the extra layer wouldn't affect its performance as all the slush and road chemical that has built up on mine never seemed to affect it. Let us know how it goes!

rdalcanto 01-19-2011 05:32 PM

I had the clear bra put on the sensor, and I think it caused a problem. I was coming home in a 40mph zone, following the truck in front with the ACC. He pulled off into the left turn lane so he was no longer directly in front of me. But, when he slowed down, my car slowed down too, as though it was still sensing him as being in front rather than to the side. The sensor is VERY round, like half a ball. That means it is very difficult to cover with the plastic without making rinkles if you cover the entire thing. As a result, they covered only the center, leaving a pretty thick edge all the way around, partly on the sensor. I assume that if this edge is in the zone where radio waves are being sent out or sensed, the step off could cause the perceived angle to change. I called the installer, and he said to take it off and see if the car does the same thing again without that on there. If it does, meaning the guard did not cause the behavior, he will re-install it for free.

Here is a picture. I could not center the camera because of the garage space I had to work with. It was centered even though it doesn't look like it in the photo. I just wanted to give you guys an idea of where the boarder is, and how thick it looks.

http://www.dalcantohobby.com/acc.jpg

rdalcanto 01-19-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemiman (Post 337302)
The glass lens seems almost bullet proof!

That is what I'm hoping. BUT, when I took the clear bra off the sensor, and I was wiping it down, there already is a tiny nick in the glass that I can see and feel with my nail. That is after only 4 days. I'm afraid that after 5 years that glass ball is going to look like the moon.... :eek:

JTS97Z28 01-19-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 337871)
That is what I'm hoping. BUT, when I took the clear bra off the sensor, and I was wiping it down, there already is a tiny nick in the glass that I can see and feel with my nail. That is after only 4 days. I'm afraid that after 5 years that glass ball is going to look like the moon.... :eek:

That is a good point I would imagine after so many years those lenses will be so pitted that you would think the system might not be able to work correctly. I guess that would come up in the engineering process so maybe its not an issue if they dont think it is. Either that or the lens is easy to replace I dont know.

James

robsroadster 01-22-2011 08:11 PM

I had the clear bra installed but not on the ACC sensor.

rdalcanto 01-23-2011 09:35 AM

Update: I took the clear bra off the sensor (it was only covering the center most part anyway). It did not fix the "turning left bug" (car going into the left turn lane in front of me causing my car to slow down even after he had left my lane (80% or so), which can be over-ridden by the gas pedal. So I had the installer try to put a large piece on, with relief cuts top and bottom only. It looked good when I got home, but a day later, it is not staying down on the left side (probably needs a relief cut there too). I'm going to talk to the installer to see if he will give me a couple 3X3 squares of the stuff so I can play with it and see if I can do a better job. If I didn't live where I do, I wouldn't wory about it. But they salt/sand/gravel the roads so much here, I need to protect that sensor....