Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Shudder solution! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/shudder-solution-17660.html)

JEEF 01-18-2011 11:59 PM

Shudder solution!

There are many threads that talk about Shudder problems. I believe there is a NEW solution. I got a message from Chrysler customer service about a new software update that should fix the shudder.

Update: RRT11-002

I haven't had time to do the update yet but hopefully this will work.
Sorry for starting a new thread but I think this is a big deal and I wanted to make sure this info was seen.

voyagerx 01-19-2011 12:11 AM

According to:
http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1800111.pdf

This looks the same as this TSB which is a ESC enhancement for ESC sensitivity. I'm not sure how this could help the shudder problem, but I'd be curious to see if it does.

JEEF 01-19-2011 01:34 AM

Re: Shudder solution!

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyagerx (Post 337468)
According to:
http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1800111.pdf

This looks the same as this TSB which is a ESC enhancement for ESC sensitivity. I'm not sure how this could help the shudder problem, but I'd be curious to see if it does.

hmmm, just read the TSB. Thanks for the link. I never considered ESC. Maybe the ESC is reacting to extreme accerleration, thus causing a shudder.

Sounds good to me :confused:

kgrencer 01-19-2011 08:54 AM

This should have nothing to do with the 40MPH shudder felt while cruising

Plus, this is to increase sensitivity, so if it is the culprit for your acceleration issues, I would think the fix would amplify the issue.

rdalcanto 01-19-2011 06:01 PM

I just called the dealer to see if they had done the flash on my Jeep, since I didn't pick it up until 1/14/11. They have not, and I don't feel any kind of shudder yet. I can't decide if I should have them do the flash, or leave well enough alone.... I hope this fixes the shudder for those of you that have it.

WABCLawyers 01-22-2011 06:48 PM

I have the @#$&% shudder problem on the new overland; went to dealer, did the flash ESB thing or whatever. It's still there. Sickening really. Comon Chrysler.

dubwarren 01-22-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WABCLawyers (Post 339789)
I have the @#$&% shudder problem on the new overland; went to dealer, did the flash ESB thing or whatever. It's still there. Sickening really. Comon Chrysler.

Drive in sport mode.

mjw930 01-23-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 337869)
I just called the dealer to see if they had done the flash on my Jeep, since I didn't pick it up until 1/14/11. They have not, and I don't feel any kind of shudder yet. I can't decide if I should have them do the flash, or leave well enough alone.... I hope this fixes the shudder for those of you that have it.

If it ain't broke then don't fix it!

It's highly likely what you may consider a normal mechanical action may feel to others like a shutter. I really think this is subjective and why so many people get them back from the dealer with either a no trouble found or similar diagnostic.

jp467 01-23-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 340226)
If it ain't broke then don't fix it!

It's highly likely what you may consider a normal mechanical action may feel to others like a shutter. I really think this is subjective and why so many people get them back from the dealer with either a no trouble found or similar diagnostic.

A Shutter is not subjective. A shutter is a shutter and a 40K+ vehicle should not shutter. There is a reason several people have reported this issue, there is a reason chrysler has issued a tsb for this, there is a reason they are still working on a fix for this. It is because they have an issue with a shutter on some vehicles. You may be happy driving around with a vehicle that shutters but I'm sure alot of these people having this issue are not happy about it. My jeep does not have this issue and I'm glad that it does not, but it does have another issue that I hope will be corrected soon. I'm not going to drive around in a vehicle that I paid that kind of money for and just write it off as normal operation if something goes wrong.

rdalcanto 01-23-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 340226)

I don't know. A few people say it is so bad in their vehicles, that they drive their other cars when ever possible, because they can't stand it. I have looked for it, and I don't feel anything. Mine is extremely smooth. I have about 600 miles. Hopefully that won't change as the mileage increases.

dicephalous 01-24-2011 01:00 AM

According to Chrysler it has something to do with the torque converter. I've had the TSB update applied to my Jeep with out any luck. The shudder remained, and got worse. I took it back to the dealer, they test drove it, called Chrysler and was told that they would need to replace the torque converter to fix the problem. My Jeep goes in Tuesday for an extended stay of 3 days. :buttkick: I sure hope this fixes it. I only have 5000 miles on it, FIX IT!!!:banghead:

Hollywood 02-12-2011 03:06 PM

Keep us posted.