Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   WK2 owners - be careful with your keys (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wk2-owners-be-careful-with-your-keys-17664.html)

MSCA 01-19-2011 07:12 AM

WK2 owners - be careful with your keys
 
Interesting read on the potential to steal cars with passive entry/ignition keys:

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/27037/page1/


Cliff's Notes: Thieves may be able to use inexpensive equipment to relay your fob's signal to unlock your vehicle and drive it away.

bpmcgee 01-19-2011 07:23 AM

Re: WK2 owners - be careful with your keys
 
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/keyless-entry-vulnerability-17155.html

Bmwister 01-19-2011 09:41 AM

Re: WK2 owners - be careful with your keys
 
Old news. Also, it would apply to any manufacturer with a passive entry system, not just WK2 owners. The possibility of thieves spending time and effort to do this successfully is remote; much faster/easier to just tow the target vehicle away.

MSCA 01-19-2011 09:52 AM

Re: WK2 owners - be careful with your keys
 
Sorry, missed the earlier post. As far as being old news...that's a laugh. I guess it's old if you consider a week or two old.

And of course it applies to the owners of any passive entry/ignition system. But since this is the WK2 subforum and the WK2 uses such a system, it applies here.

the1jake 01-19-2011 11:20 AM

Re: WK2 owners - be careful with your keys
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwister (Post 337570)
Old news. Also, it would apply to any manufacturer with a passive entry system, not just WK2 owners. The possibility of thieves spending time and effort to do this successfully is remote; much faster/easier to just tow the target vehicle away.

Agreed. If thieves really want your vehicle, they *will* take it.

Bmwister 01-19-2011 11:57 AM

Re: WK2 owners - be careful with your keys
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 337578)
As far as being old news...that's a laugh. I guess it's old if you consider a week or two old.

Why so smug? More like almost two decades old news, ever since passive entry systems were put into practical use, albeit limited, and just over a decade from Mercedes applying it to production.

Technosavant 01-19-2011 12:31 PM

Re: WK2 owners - be careful with your keys
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the1jake (Post 337626)
Agreed. If thieves really want your vehicle, they *will* take it.

Yup. As I've said before, this is a mass production vehicle, and not every thief is a "Gone in 60 Seconds" type of professional and capable thief. Most are druggies or joyriders who only take the low hanging fruit- cars with the keys left inside, cars with easily busted lock cylinders, etc.

As for the remaining small fraction of vehicle thieves, they aren't interested in vehicles like ours, at least in a manner that would result in a driveable vehicle (in order to go through the trouble to clone a passive key system, you'd have to have a working and driveable vehicle as your goal). If all you want is parts, you're using a flatbed and the key is irrelevant anyway.

MSCA 01-19-2011 02:30 PM

Re: WK2 owners - be careful with your keys
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwister (Post 337651)
Why so smug? More like almost two decades old news, ever since passive entry systems were put into practical use, albeit limited, and just over a decade from Mercedes applying it to production.

Smug? I don't think so. You're the one who started with the negative attitude in this thread.

And BTW, passive entry isn't new, but passive ignition is still new technology. It's just now starting to go mainstream, in case you haven't noticed. Getting into a car is one thing. Being able to start the engine and drive it away without a key is another.

MSCA 01-19-2011 02:33 PM

Re: WK2 owners - be careful with your keys
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 337666)

As for the remaining small fraction of vehicle thieves, they aren't interested in vehicles like ours, at least in a manner that would result in a driveable vehicle (in order to go through the trouble to clone a passive key system, you'd have to have a working and driveable vehicle as your goal). If all you want is parts, you're using a flatbed and the key is irrelevant anyway.

I don't know if you actually read the vehicle or not, but we're not talking about cloning codes. These guys are saying that you can transmit the key's codes remotely with antennas and inexpensive equipment. So if you keep your keys hanging by your back door, for example, a thief could grab that code (by standing close to you back door) and relay it by antenna to the car. Not only to unlock the car, but also to start the engine. Sounds far fetched, but it's obviously possible and cars will be stolen this way if they haven't been already.

jeep2011 01-19-2011 03:00 PM

Re: WK2 owners - be careful with your keys
 
Why should we worry about that? From just reading this forum we know that GC owners love to strap spare keys to the underneath of their cars. :poke:

Technosavant 01-19-2011 03:20 PM

Re: WK2 owners - be careful with your keys
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 337744)
I don't know if you actually read the vehicle or not, but we're not talking about cloning codes. These guys are saying that you can transmit the key's codes remotely with antennas and inexpensive equipment. So if you keep your keys hanging by your back door, for example, a thief could grab that code (by standing close to you back door) and relay it by antenna to the car. Not only to unlock the car, but also to start the engine. Sounds far fetched, but it's obviously possible and cars will be stolen this way if they haven't been already.

I read it. It's even less concerning than if they'd steal the codes.

Why? Think about it. Although the equipment needed is inexpensive and easy to make for those with knowledge, it needs two people to pull it off (one near the vehicle, one near the owner, and you have to guess correctly). This means the average druggies won't do it- they are thinking "anten-WHAT?" They have neither the knowledge nor the capability. So this would be something that could be done by competent professionals, but why would they bother? It's a lot of effort to go to, and they'd be able to get in the vehicle and start it- ONCE. The moment they shut it off, they're done. We've established in other threads that there's no reason to steal one of these things for resale- they'd end up with a vehicle that cannot be titled, is difficult to start, and is worth a fraction of its value (which, although it isn't an economy vehicle, it is no six figure pasta rocket). So it's really only a concern for those interested in the parts. For the WK2, it hasn't been out long enough and sold enough for the parts to be that valuable, and they'd be better off pretending to be repo men and using a tow truck anyway.

It's a theoretical possibility under controlled conditions, but as a practical manner, I'd be extremely surprised if anybody ever actually lost a vehicle to this method of theft. If they want it that bad, they'll carjack you and then have the key. Less time, less trouble.

MSCA 01-19-2011 04:31 PM

Re: WK2 owners - be careful with your keys
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 337767)
Why should we worry about that? From just reading this forum we know that GC owners love to strap spare keys to the underneath of their cars. :poke:

That's funny. Imagine strapping a WK2 key under the vehicle?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community