Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Thule Roof Cross Bars (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/thule-roof-cross-bars-17701.html)

jmellon 01-19-2011 09:09 PM

Thule Roof Cross Bars

When I purchased my WK2 in late December, the dealer agreed to include the roof cross bars as part of the deal. They finally arrived today.

I had expected the cross bars to be from Mopar. The ones that arrived today are from Thule. The package included the Thule Rapid Crossroad 450R foot pack, the Thule 53" Rapid Aero Load Bars RB53, and the hardware kit with the locks/keys.

I have two questions. For those of you that ordered the cross bars, are yours from Mopar, or does Thule provide them? If most people have the ones from Mopar, are the Thule ones an upgrade or downgrade in comparison?

I want to make sure I have cross bars that are the easiest to work with and look the cleanest on the vehicle.

Thanks.

Cperez 01-19-2011 10:20 PM

Re: Thule Roof Cross Bars

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmellon (Post 337995)
When I purchased my WK2 in late December, the dealer agreed to include the roof cross bars as part of the deal. They finally arrived today.

I had expected the cross bars to be from Mopar. The ones that arrived today are from Thule. The package included the Thule Rapid Crossroad 450R foot pack, the Thule 53" Rapid Aero Load Bars RB53, and the hardware kit with the locks/keys.

I have two questions. For those of you that ordered the cross bars, are yours from Mopar, or does Thule provide them? If most people have the ones from Mopar, are the Thule ones an upgrade or downgrade in comparison?

I want to make sure I have cross bars that are the easiest to work with and look the cleanest on the vehicle.

Thanks.

jmellon, I have the Mopar crossbars. I think I read somewhere that they are actually built by Thule but that could be absolutely wrong. I know that Thule makes the ski carrier that is sold by Mopar to fit the "Mopar" crossbars.

I took some photos of my install process and added them to another thread on this topic. Maybe you can look at some of those photos and see if you can tell if your kit is the same as the Mopar hardware. Here's the thread:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/roof-rack-cross-bar-mounting-process-16025-post330530.html

Personally, I really like the look of the Mopar crossbars. The knock on them is their lightweight security features. But they seem rocksolid and they add a lot to the overall look and feel of the WK2.

jmellon 01-20-2011 06:25 AM

The kit that I received came in two Thule boxes with the locks and keys in a separate plastic bag. These aren't Thule bars marked as Mopar, they only say Thule on them. I am thinking they are different than what you have Cperez.

Upon further investigation of the Thule web site, they don't show a compatible kit for the WK2 yet. I fear that what the dealer sent me won't even work for the WK2.

I'll need to find some time to try them in the next couple of days to see.

Jay

tkln 01-20-2011 09:40 AM

From what I remember reading the Mopar ones are in fact made by Thule...but hopefully you got the ones that will fit the GC!

moosehead 01-20-2011 10:05 AM

JM, suggest checking whether or not your Thule foot pack fits the WK2 tracks. If so, then I'd bet what you have is better than stock Mopar system. However, if your Thule foot pack is not specific to the WK2 tracks then you'll likely want to return it for Mopar system.

See below link and inserted links in this thread for some roof rack background info.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...ht=rack+attack

jmellon 01-21-2011 12:59 PM

Well, I confirmed that the cross bar kit they sent me is for the WK and not the WK2. Considering this is the dealership I bought the vehicle from and ordered it at the time I bought it, this is frustrating. You would think they would know that the rails have changed with the new model.

I have a message out to them to let them know. I'll see what they do about it.

Jay

jmellon 01-25-2011 08:18 AM

No word back from the dealer yet on what they are going to do with the incorrect cross bars they sent me.

But, I did get a response from Thule to my inquiry on when they would have a kit for the 2011 Grand Cherokee. Response below.
March 1st. we will have the following system available.

460 podium foot pack x1
Lb58 cross bars x1
fit kit 4019 x1
544 lock cylinder set x1
Now I just need to decide if I want to wait for this to become available or go for the Mopar rails.

Jay

tkln 01-25-2011 09:21 AM

Sucks about your bars and that you haven't heard anything back from your dealer yet, but good info from Thule, thanks for passing that along!

WK2 Rover 01-31-2011 12:59 PM

I purchased the Mopar recommended roof and ski racks. The roof rack appears to be made by Thule but it has Mopar logos. The ski rack is manufactured by Thule and sold by Mopar, and has Thule logos. The key style of the "Mopar" roof rack is identical to the keys that come with the recommended Thule ski rack sold through Mopar.