Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Possible to put Bi-Xenon in Laredo (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/possible-to-put-bi-xenon-in-laredo-17702.html)

prelude532 01-19-2011 10:07 PM

Possible to put Bi-Xenon in Laredo

Was wondering if anyone was aware of weather the Bi-xenon headlight complete housings are compatible with the harnesses from the stock laredo halogen housings.

I see they are about $482 per side so I'm curious.

SixZeroFour 01-19-2011 11:21 PM

Re: Possible to put Bi-Xenon in Laredo

You would also need the HID ballasts to get it all to function properly. The ballasts probably include the leads to the bulbs but I'm not 100% on that. The stock halogen harness will not plug into the new bulbs.

GR33N D3M0N 01-19-2011 11:31 PM

ballasts are usually built into the housing

Scottina06 01-19-2011 11:33 PM

if the lamps are like most HID lamps....the ballasts are on the lamps. If so...you could do something to similar to what I pioneered with the 08-10 HID lamps. Find the power and ground to the ballast and power it with a relay harness. Very easy

JTS97Z28 01-19-2011 11:45 PM

^^^ Scott and myself liked to do our own "custom" work back in the jeepsunlimited days and yes he is right the job would actually be relatively easy. Just obtain a complete left and right headlamp assembly with all bulbs and ballasts. Make a nice headlight harness and your done. Basically a 100% plug and play job. You wont get the autolevel feature, but thats probably not a big deal for most. Im not sure exactly how the bi-xenon would wire up you might have to wire in your own lead for high beams but no one will know until they see the harness coming from the headlamp itself. But absolutely its doable.

James

Scottina06 01-19-2011 11:51 PM

yep.....I could have it done in an hour

bpmcgee 01-20-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 338138)
^^^ Scott and myself liked to do our own "custom" work back in the jeepsunlimited days and yes he is right the job would actually be relatively easy. Just obtain a complete left and right headlamp assembly with all bulbs and ballasts. Make a nice headlight harness and your done. Basically a 100% plug and play job. You wont get the autolevel feature, but thats probably not a big deal for most. Im not sure exactly how the bi-xenon would wire up you might have to wire in your own lead for high beams but no one will know until they see the harness coming from the headlamp itself. But absolutely its doable.

James

Jts,

You bring up an interesting point. If the bulb holders are on gimbals so that they can be controlled by a motor, you'd have to rig something to fix them in place while allowing for adjustment.

Of course, at $482 each, I bet they come with the motor built in. Hell at that price they ought to come with free installation!

JTS97Z28 01-20-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpmcgee (Post 338226)
Jts,

You bring up an interesting point. If the bulb holders are on gimbals so that they can be controlled by a motor, you'd have to rig something to fix them in place while allowing for adjustment.

Of course, at $482 each, I bet they come with the motor built in. Hell at that price they ought to come with free installation!

Im not sure im following you. If your talking about how to be able to adjust the headlights that doesnt change even with a non-functioning auto level system. They are still fully adjustable like any other headlight. So as far as that goes its very simple.

bpmcgee 01-20-2011 11:52 AM

Yes, but with the self-levelling headlights, the beams can move -- which means something has to be on a gimbal -- presumably the bulb socket. What holds this gimbal in place if the full self-levelling headlight system isn't there?

GR33N D3M0N 01-20-2011 11:54 AM

the self leveling system is there, its just not getting any power, so it stays in the "neutral" position...i think haha

bpmcgee 01-20-2011 12:40 PM

Which was my question -- Is the self leveling system entirely contained in the headlight assembly, and will it remain fixed in a neutral position.

Scottina06 01-20-2011 12:40 PM

I highly doubt the self leveling is there on a non hid jeep. None of the 08 and up non hid'ed jeeps had the correct harness or leveling system. Jeep just doesn't do that......
As far as the self leveling...you don't need it anyway. You can still align the headlights properly. The motor will not activate wwithout the corect harness and the computer telling it to. I have 08-10 hid lamps on my jeep and. And the self leveling has never activated and the lamps align perfect.

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk