Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Oils change question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/oils-change-question-17716.html)

Breitling65 01-20-2011 08:30 AM

Oils change question

Hi,

Anyone using Castrol synthetic oil for oil canges? Which one would be best? Edge, GTX or Syntex? I tried their website and I am confused in difference.
Also would you suggest using synthetic oil right after first oil change or use regular until 10K miles (someone suggested).

Thanks!

dwaleke 01-20-2011 02:29 PM

Re: Oils change question

You'll get all kinds of responses to this. Every one of them being somewhat different. The best place to do this kind of research is bobistheoilguy.com and then decide for yourself what products you want to use.

mjw930 01-20-2011 08:40 PM

Yep, bobstheoilguy.com is about the best place to get this question asked and answered. Personally, I would use Edge, it's their only full synthetic. Just make sure you use the EXACT viscosity for you motor, the V8 REQUIRES 5W-20 to operate properly.

I use synthetic from the first change on everything I own. You won't do any harm with synthetic but you don't need synthetic at any point as long as you stick to good oils and change them as scheduled.

dwaleke 01-21-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 338665)
Just make sure you use the EXACT viscosity for you motor, the V8 REQUIRES 5W-20 to operate properly.

Actually just a 20 weight oil is all that is required. This is to ensure proper operation of the MDS system. The number before the W is not important. 0w-20 or 5w-20 will be just fine. Conventional or Synthetic.

Some will tell you to ensure the oil is API certified and meets or exceeds Chrysler's MS-6395 spec to ensure you are meeting the requirements of your warranty. That is up to you, but honestly almost everything out there will meet or exceed these requirements.

mjw930 01-21-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwaleke (Post 338915)
Actually just a 20 weight oil is all that is required. This is to ensure proper operation of the MDS system. The number before the W is not important. 0w-20 or 5w-20 will be just fine. Conventional or Synthetic.

Some will tell you to ensure the oil is API certified and meets or exceeds Chrysler's MS-6395 spec to ensure you are meeting the requirements of your warranty. That is up to you, but honestly almost everything out there will meet or exceed these requirements.

While your comments are most likely accurate it's still is beyond me why when the factory specifies a particular viscosity (not a range) and a specific specification why anyone would use anything different?????? You aren't going to get any better performance and you are setting yourself up for potential problems if you are one of the unlucky few to have a major engine problem. Regardless what you want to believe (or reality for that matter) if you use an oil that is outside the specs and Jeep can prove it then you lose, all because you felt you know better than the manufacturer.

It just seems foolish to me.

OH, and before you start quoting Magnusson-Moss (?sp) if you use something outside the stated specification they don't have to prove it was the actual cause of the failure. They state 5W-20, you used 0W-20, end of discussion........

Now, is using 0W-20 that isn't certified to the Chrysler standard going to cause a failure, NO but why tempt fate?

dwaleke 01-21-2011 11:31 AM

While I agree that there isn't much benefit to a 0w over a 5w unless you're in the arctic cold there are some reasons to run a 0w oil instead of a 5w.

Many american synthetics use lower cost Group III base stock in their "synthetic" formulations. You will find this in many 5w-20, 5w-30, etc products. Many 0w formulations use higher quality (and higher cost) base stocks in order to achieve the low viscosity pour points. Usually (meaning not always) better base stock = better protecting and performing oil (there is more to an oil than just it's base). This is just one example of why maybe you would want a 0w over a 5w (you did ask for a reason :) ).

I highly doubt Chrysler is going to run an oil analysis and determine that the 0w oil you put in your engine was the cause of a failure (if they suspected oil as the cause at all). I'd be surprised if they could conclude from an oil analysis that you started with a 0w instead of 5w.

At this point I will again suggest bobistheoilguy.com for research and discussion about oil. There you can find a specific oil that meets not only Chrysler's minimum requirements to make your engine last through their warranty period, but the requirements that you may have for your engine as well.

Not all oil is created equal although most oil will be good enough to protect your engine for a very long life.

mjw930 01-21-2011 01:31 PM

Point taken and I agree. I also agree that a more in depth discussion should probably happen on Bob's site since that's why it exists.

Nickoland 01-25-2011 10:48 AM

I'm at 800 miles and as soon as it gets a tad warmer I'm changing to Mobil 1 extended life. $8.50 a quart x 7 + the $12.99 mobil 1 filter is pricey, but I wont be changing again for 1 year.

dwaleke 01-25-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickoland (Post 341242)
I'm at 800 miles and as soon as it gets a tad warmer I'm changing to Mobil 1 extended life. $8.50 a quart x 7 + the $12.99 mobil 1 filter is pricey, but I wont be changing again for 1 year.

If you have a Pepboys near by you can save some money with this coupon. Good til 1/31/2011.

http://www.pepboys.com/sale_specials..._oil_change_cp

Nbtstatic 01-25-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwaleke (Post 341250)
If you have a Pepboys near by you can save some money with this coupon. Good til 1/31/2011.

http://www.pepboys.com/sale_specials..._oil_change_cp

Thanks, I may use that.

Dumb question, it says 5 quarts and a Mobil 1 filter. Does Mobil 1 really make a Wk2 Pentastar filter or will I need to go grab a Mopar one?

NB

dwaleke 01-25-2011 11:56 AM

According to Mobil's website they do not make a filter for the Pentastar just yet.

For anyone else the Hemi part number is M1-210.

I would just grab a filter for another car or a friends/family member's car. The price of the oil is still cheaper than regular price.

Nbtstatic 01-25-2011 11:57 AM

Got it, thanks. :thumbsup: