Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Bad steering wheel, good service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/bad-steering-wheel-good-service-17727.html)

parker 01-20-2011 03:12 PM

Bad steering wheel, good service

I've had my overland almost 3 months. I'm the only person who has driven it since taking delivery. I wear no rings or jewelry on my hands, only a wrist watch.

Today I noticed on the steering wheel that the top colored layer of leather was flaking and stitching seemed to be pulling out. There are two seams running around the diameter of the wheel on each side of the bottom center spoke. It is the seam on the left where this is occuring. It almost looks as if the leather at the seam has been abraded with something similar to sandpaper. The vehicle has just under 2500 miles.

Since this particular seam has appeared bulky compared with the one on the other side, and it looks like you can see the wires or something similar for the heating element right beside the left spoke underneath the leather, I decided that the sterring wheel was more or less defective in the leather wrapping.

Stopped at the Jeep dealer on the way to lunch. He glanced at it , said no problem. He then ordered a new wheel with no questions asked, and said they will call when it comes in and swap them out.
I couldn't ask to be treated any better or with more expedience.

UNCjeepWK2 01-20-2011 03:27 PM

Re: Bad steering wheel, good service

Just passed 8,500 miles... I wear only my wedding band and watch... no flaking or anything like you've mentioned. I'll definitely be on the look for it now, though...

Technosavant 01-20-2011 03:32 PM

Mine has been good, sounds like yours was just a bad one- glad to hear your dealer is on it.

GC2011 01-20-2011 03:50 PM

The overland wheels are hand crafted, so maybe that guy just got distracted while sowing that wheel, or was just lazy.

parker 01-20-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 338473)
Mine has been good, sounds like yours was just a bad one- glad to hear your dealer is on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GC2011 (Post 338492)
The overland wheels are hand crafted, so maybe that guy just got distracted while sowing that wheel, or was just lazy.

I think you are both correct. The wheel has looked a little funny in those two areas since I took delivery, but I didn't want to knit pick. No big deal, now that it has a true problem with the leather wrap Jeep is replacing it without argument.

I still love this car!!! I don't really consider this a problem, just a small annoyance.

Technosavant 01-20-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parker (Post 338498)

I still love this car!!! I don't really consider this a problem, just a small annoyance.

Good attitude. For me, I've had a few issues, but I consider them annoyances because they didn't impair my enjoyment the rest of the vehicle, and all are the sort of thing that should be easily fixed. If I'd been stranded by something, then it would become a problem.

Cperez 01-20-2011 04:39 PM

I need to be careful. I am an incurable steering wheel drummer and the wood wheels on the Jag and the WK2 make a perfect crisp tone when tapped with a wedding ring. I never had a problem with the Jag wheel but I should take it easy on the Jeep since this is a Year 1 model and may not have been tested extensively for drumming durability. :cool: