Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Does this strategy make sense? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/does-this-strategy-make-sense-17737.html)

Bobozapper 01-20-2011 10:57 PM

Does this strategy make sense?

Howdy there,
Long time lurker, first time poster. Close to pulling the trigger on a new Overland. The info offered here has been top notch, and from what I can see, spot on. Many, many thanks. I'll be joining the ranks as a "supporter" as soon as I can call myself an "owner".
My question stems from the posts I have been reading about the saddle interior and the 730n nav coming in and out of availability. I chatted with my local dealer today who, after doing some extensive research, was able to confirm what I already knew based on the info gathered here. He then offered an interesting solution: purchase a GC he has currently on order, @ status "d" with most of the options I am looking for (like the saddle and 730n) and he will make the other changes (like color) to make exactly what I'm looking for. Is it possible to change an existing order, while other folks are being shut out of these options only on "new" orders? Could those folks jump on an existing order to get what they want? He's telling me it will be shipped in less than 4 weeks, while other folks are making sacrifices in what they offer based on availability and waiting twice as long. Seems too good to be true.
He's pushing me to sign a P & S (which will CLEARLY indicate my option selection w/o exceptions and a firm timeline) "before its too late", which worries me a bit. I have a healthy skepticism of car dealers. He says he needs more than a simple deposit. Am I being taken for a ride?
The tread lightly discount was awesome:thumbsup:. Too awesome:eek:.
Thanks for any input!

JTS97Z28 01-21-2011 12:07 AM

Re: Does this strategy make sense?

First off I would like to say welcome to the forums. Your gonna love it here!

Here is what I think is going on here. I would be VERY careful with this dealership because it sounds like they want you to purchase a car they already have ordered that is not exactly what you want. They can change that order to a sold order with your name on it, however they can not change anything specifically with that order such as colors, options etc etc. They just want to make a sale then tell you they cant change the order. Ask anyone on here most orders cannot be changed literally just days after ordering. Once it goes to C status whats in there is in there. All im saying is be careful and you gotta remember a dealership will do almost anything to get a sale, in some cases even if it means lying.
So just to re-state, as far as I know that order thats in D status CAN NOT be modified. Do not buy it unless thats exactly the setup what you want.

As far as Saddle goes yes you are correct its not available currently on the standard Overland. It may come off restriction eventually but no one knows the date if and when that will happen. You will either have to wait for that interior to go off restriction or search most likely all over the country to find exactly what you want thats in dealer stock.

James

joebinotto 01-21-2011 12:14 AM

I agree with James, I don't know how they will be able to change the color in D status. Milous will know for sure but it sounds like they are trying to pressure you to sign. Be careful. btw, welcome!

jmpdev2020 01-21-2011 09:42 AM

$500 deposit is all that is required to get a "sold order" in the system. This is stated somewhere in the Chryco ordering system.

Mashie 01-21-2011 12:13 PM

just please be careful with this strategy. Here is my experiance. I ordered my WK2 from a dealer in mid-September. Instead of placing a new order, we changed an order that he had in the system since mid July. The order had not yet gone D and was still sitting in C status. At this point he was able to make any/all of the changes I requested. However, my order still did not get picked up to D status until almost a month later. I was told it has to do with the size of your dealership, allocation they get, part of the country you live it, ie they drive more 4x4 to parts of the country that need it more vs sending them to south florida etc.. Changing an existing order doesn't mean you will get it any faster as people that placed new orders for an almost identical configuration got theirs 2mo faster then my order that finally arrived this week to the dealer.

Just fyi..

barrette's jeep 01-21-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebinotto (Post 338770)
I agree with James, I don't know how they will be able to change the color in D status. Milous will know for sure but it sounds like they are trying to pressure you to sign. Be careful. btw, welcome!

I did change m'y color and Radio in the "d" status....

Bobozapper 01-21-2011 12:33 PM

Thanks for all the great responses. Continuing with caution...

The only changes I made were to add the ACC, and change the color. I also asked about the 730n, and was told it was already spec'd on that order as well as the saddle. That's what tipped me off that something might be wrong. From what I've heard here, those items are on hold.

I was told that at "d" status, the trim, engine and other more "major" items couldn't be changed, but minor things still could be.

barrette's jeep 01-21-2011 12:41 PM

Only at D1.... Nothing CAN be change..