Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Mineral Grey Sharkfin (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/mineral-grey-sharkfin-17751.html)

Mashie 01-21-2011 12:06 PM

Mineral Grey Sharkfin
 
Hey everyone,

I didn't want to hijack Moose's thread with his sharkfin install so I decided to post mine here. I am not going to post install pics, but I watned to post the final result. I got my MG (PDM) Sharkfin on Tues but was unable to install it until today due to a business trip. As you can see the PDM color on the sharkfin matches perfectly and I think it provides a very nice professional finish replacing the stock 6" long antena.

Cperez, I know you are going to ask, so I taped over the sharkfin with some black matte electrical tape to get an idea if the black or PDM would look best and I preferred the PDM. With the long black roof cross bars the PDM color just seemed to blend in better and made the antena not stand out.

This picture is showing the Sharkfin out of the box
http://www.jeepgarage.org/picture.ph...&pictureid=724


Showing the color match of the antena next to the WK2 PDM color
http://www.jeepgarage.org/picture.ph...&pictureid=725

Installed Sharkfin from the side.
http://www.jeepgarage.org/picture.ph...&pictureid=726

Chuck 01-21-2011 12:17 PM

Re: Mineral Grey Sharkfin
 
Wow very nice!

moosehead 01-21-2011 12:19 PM

Re: Mineral Grey Sharkfin
 
Nice Mashie. Love the MG color.

Cue the theme to Jaws.

TTUMBIO2010 01-21-2011 12:29 PM

Re: Mineral Grey Sharkfin
 
Looks awesome! Thanks for posting.

Only if that GB had taken off........prob ordering anyway.

jeffnin 01-21-2011 12:39 PM

Re: Mineral Grey Sharkfin
 
Another successful shark fin install! Looks great.

Cperez 01-21-2011 03:30 PM

Re: Mineral Grey Sharkfin
 
That's legit, Mash. The color match is perfect, as expected. Any early impressions re reception quality with terrestrial and sat radio?

I'm gonna place an order right now. I washed her today and as I was admiring my work I was also visualizing (no pun intended) the fin. Thanks for the shots, and the innovative method for testing the matte black color.

Mashie 01-21-2011 05:46 PM

Re: Mineral Grey Sharkfin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 339124)
That's legit, Mash. The color match is perfect, as expected. Any early impressions re reception quality with terrestrial and sat radio?

I'm gonna place an order right now. I washed her today and as I was admiring my work I was also visualizing (no pun intended) the fin. Thanks for the shots, and the innovative method for testing the matte black color.

Hey C,
I drive all around town today running some errands and had no ussues with Sat or nav reception at all. So far so good. One thing to note, There seems to be 2 antennas in the underside of the sharkfin. One is on the back wall (no picture) and the other is on the spine going just about the entire length of the sharkfin (picture)

http://jeepgarage.org/picture.php?al...&pictureid=730

-Mashie

pwguy 01-21-2011 06:25 PM

Re: Mineral Grey Sharkfin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie (Post 339227)
Hey C,
I drive all around town today running some errands and had no ussues with Sat or nav reception at all. So far so good. One thing to note, There seems to be 2 antennas in the underside of the sharkfin. One is on the back wall (no picture) and the other is on the spine going just about the entire length of the sharkfin (picture)

http://jeepgarage.org/picture.php?al...&pictureid=730

-Mashie

A couple of clarifying photos below. The two elements of the antenna are in series. The first part is the copper foil arranged in a zig zag.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_F...0/DSC07437.jpg

After the foil is the PCB which is just a trace with no active electronics. This would be the "fractal" portion of the antenna.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_F...0/DSC07438.jpg

After the PCB is the coiled wire that attaches to the antenna connection on the roof.

This type of AM/FM antenna cannot work as well as a whip antenna, and the maker does not claim it does, but in testing (I don't have my JGC yet) I was very surprised how well it compares to a whip. Also, the satellite antenna that this housing goes over cannot get as much signal because of the attenuation of the housing but again, in practice it seems to work well. I was able to get an uninterrupted signal inside my garage with the housing covering a satellite antenna.

I am very satisfied so far and look forward to actually installing it (my GC has been sitting in Santa Rosa, NM for 10 days now). I also think the standard price is a good value.

Mashie 01-21-2011 06:30 PM

Re: Mineral Grey Sharkfin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwguy (Post 339258)
A couple of clarifying photos below. The two elements of the antenna are in series. The first part is the copper foil arranged in a zig zag.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_F...0/DSC07437.jpg

After the foil is the PCB which is just a trace with no active electronics. This would be the "fractal" portion of the antenna.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_F...0/DSC07438.jpg

After the PCB is the coiled wire that attaches to the antenna connection on the roof.

This type of AM/FM antenna cannot work as well as a whip antenna, and the maker does not claim it does, but in testing (I don't have my JGC yet) I was very surprised how well it compares to a whip. Also, the satellite antenna that this housing goes over cannot get as much signal because of the attenuation of the housing but again, in practice it seems to work well. I was able to get an uninterrupted signal inside my garage with the housing covering a satellite antenna.

I am very satisfied so far and look forward to actually installing it.

Thanks for the pictures!! :thumbsup:

mjw930 01-21-2011 09:31 PM

Re: Mineral Grey Sharkfin
 
Looks great! What brand/model/year did you select to find PDM (Mineral Gray)? I found it under Dodge/Magnum/2008, is that the combination you used to get this result?

Mashie 01-21-2011 10:49 PM

Re: Mineral Grey Sharkfin
 
I will post the ordering instructions when I get home. It is not on their website so there are email ordering instructions.

Mashie 01-22-2011 12:29 PM

Re: Mineral Grey Sharkfin
 
Here is the ordering instructions for the Mark II Sharkfin. The Mark II is not currently on the website so you have to follow the email ordering instructions.

Thank you for your email.

Our pre-released Mark II VG shark fin antenna is compatible with your 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. For more information, pictures and how to order, please see the email below.

Regards,

Arthur

---------------------------------------


This new shark fin antenna was developed specifically for vehicles that have an AM/FM rear-roof whip antenna and a Sirius/XM/OnStar/GPS chip-set antenna integrated into the larger antenna base. Our Mark II antenna will allow you to replace the whip portion of your AM/FM antenna and cover the entire large antenna base on your roof to give it a clean look. Installing this antenna will not hinder the operation of your Sirius/XM/OnStar/GPS chip-set antennas that are integrated into your antenna base. Please click the following links for some sample pictures of our new shark fin antenna:

http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_VG_SFA_MKII.html

We are happy to announce that we can continue to offer our Mark II version at the same price as our Mark I version, currently priced at $69USD (including painting to your OEM color as usual), plus shipping/handling for $12USD to USA/Canada or $28USD to International locations (including tracking number & insurance). GST & HST applicable for Canadian orders.

To place an order, please send an email toprerelease@visualgarage.comand provide the information below, and a Paypal invoice for ordering will be sent to you shortly afterwards . You will be able to pay via Paypal account, eCheck and most major credit cards. To find your color code, please visit this page:http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_Paint_Code.html

----------
Subject: Order - VG Shark Fin Antenna Mark II

Qty x Year, Make, Model, Style - Color Code / Color Name
(example: Qty: 1 x 2009 Pontiac G8 4-Dr Sedan - WA690F / Phantom Metallic)

Mailing Address

Paypal email Address
----------


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community