Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   srt roof rails ?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/srt-roof-rails-1776.html)

spiker01 07-30-2009 12:02 AM

srt roof rails ??

this question is for the guys that installed srt roof rails. do they mount with the same hardware that the origional roof rack rails used? do i need to install a foam double sided tape also? how much of the rail gets double sided foam tape (if its needed). thanks for replys

Scottina06 07-30-2009 06:42 AM

Re: srt roof rails ??

they indeed use the same hardware and also 3m 2x tape

LO.7 07-30-2009 09:57 AM

The middle part of the rails in between where the screws go is where the 3m tape is located.

Mine took a while to settle in though.. My first time through a car wash about a week after the install the air blower lifted them a bit, but I was able to push them down and have had no more issues.

It was scary however, it sounded like my roof was being ripped apart when it happened.

psycojeep 07-30-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LO.7 (Post 40604)
The middle part of the rails in between where the screws go is where the 3m tape is located.

Mine took a while to settle in though.. My first time through a car wash about a week after the install the air blower lifted them a bit, but I was able to push them down and have had no more issues.

It was scary however, it sounded like my roof was being ripped apart when it happened.

Well this is why we dont go thru comercial car washes... LOL

Its either a hand wash at home or a hand wash & hand dry at the car wash place for my baby.

LO.7 07-30-2009 11:20 AM

I strictly hand wash too, but this was in the middle of the winter I believe. Too cold to even turn on the water.

spiker01 07-30-2009 12:02 PM

thanx guys. i purchaced a set of srt rails, should have them next week. im not worried about lift off, its 40 deg celcius here. they will probably melt to the roof

NHWK05 07-30-2009 12:36 PM

If you put them on on a nice Hot day, put some weight on them for a few hours to make sure they are flat and all the tape surface is stuck down then they will never come off. You can also go to the store and buy adhesion promoter pens or wipes, Usually sold near super glue and 3m tape. That really helps alot.

ryanwk 07-30-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiker01 (Post 40700)
thanx guys. i purchaced a set of srt rails, should have them next week. im not worried about lift off, its 40 deg celcius here. they will probably melt to the roof

what are you going to do with the old cross bars? if your not going to keep them want to sell them let me know!
thanks
ryan:)

spiker01 07-30-2009 05:26 PM

im probably going to keep them around. just in case i need a rack for something one day. if i do decide to sell, i will let ya know

blackpepper 07-30-2009 11:00 PM

I still have mine for the same reason.. I wonder what it'll be like when that day comes and I'm trying to get the 3M tape off the roof to put the old rack on :rolleyes:

05wkguy 07-30-2009 11:28 PM

On mine,it seems the rails will slide off cause the section that is 2-side-taped to the body allows you to slide the rails forward or back to come off. The remaining stuck on section will clear under the normal rack and cross rails.

Scottina06 07-31-2009 06:17 PM

pretty fart smeller.....oops...smart feller^^^^^^