Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   EGR valve is gone me thinks (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/egr-valve-is-gone-me-thinks-17764.html)

Relwarc 01-21-2011 03:55 PM

EGR valve is gone me thinks

so my 2007 4.7 is stumbling at lights, lopey iddle, stumbles at idle... enough to make the lights dim in the cabin.

taking it into the dealership tomorow. I know im going to get hit with the $100 bullshit "diagnostic" charge... but i have the extended warranty and i called and they said they DO cover an EGR valve replacement.

school me, prep me, i know they are going to try to get $$ out of me, and i want to be sure im prepared for blind sides or questions.

the official complaint its going in for is "stumbles at idle and when comiing to a rolling stop" and "rough idle"

pointers? ideas?

(68,000 miles)

Scottina06 01-21-2011 04:07 PM

Re: EGR valve is gone me thinks

what kind of service history? plugs etc.

blackpepper 01-21-2011 04:12 PM

Do you have 'added care plus'? <<< That's what I have.

I've had these issues as well as an irregular idle surge during cold starts and if this is a covered warranty issue, I'll take it to the dealer instead. Plugs replaced at 63k I have 71k now.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-21-2011 04:48 PM

what about a failing alternator?

maxst2 01-21-2011 05:24 PM

Failing alt wouldn't cause that.

EGR, plugs, water in fuel would do it slightly.

lll2for3lll 01-21-2011 06:06 PM

Get your PCM updated. There have been several TSB software updates for rough idle with the 4.7

Don't make a big deal out of something small. Start cheap and simple first.

Relwarc 01-21-2011 06:08 PM

all good ideas, you think they will look into the plugs? or should i ask?

jeepgcoman 01-21-2011 08:00 PM

If you don't know the maintenance history, the plugs are probably due. Did you have the 60K service done? If so, they should have been changed. If not, ask about it. Better yet, if you have the time, talent and tools, do it yourself and save a bunch, unless your warranty covers scheduled maintenance.

Relwarc 01-22-2011 08:16 AM

Can do it myself, been waiting for warmer weather... i im going to read my warranty about the maintenance. Thanks guys. I will update tonight.

Asativa 01-22-2011 10:09 AM

Hey bro(sorry i cant remember ur name from the meet last year), you're more than welcome to bring the car into the shop for me to take a look at it. Jeep garage members get a discounted labor rate($75 per hour this year) and we would be more than happy to work with your 3rd party extended warranty. Also dont forget, what you call a "bullshit diagnostic charge" is a necessary charge since we all have to pay a technician to figure out ur problem in order to warranty the work that we do to correct it! You can always pull codes urself as a starting point and refer to this and other websites for an idea on what might be wrong, if you wanna tackle the repair urself, or have a shop do a repair based on your own "diagnostic". But ya, no need to pay a stealer and worry about their honesty with you, when im just a few miles south of you!

Best of luck and feel free to contact me with any questions you might have bro

andy

Relwarc 01-22-2011 10:13 AM

Hey Andy, I didnt mean to call it a bullshit charge in that way. I called bullshit on it because they tried to tack it on for reading my codes.... i fully understand needing to pay a technician to diagnose the problem.

I may def take you up on that if i need help doing my 60K mile service. Overall, it looks relatively easy tho.

Thanks man, i appreciate your generosity.

Asativa 01-22-2011 10:49 AM

No prob bro, but fyl getting charged for a code read!:eek: