Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Check your hood gasket (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/check-your-hood-gasket-17776.html)

Nbtstatic 01-21-2011 06:48 PM

Check your hood gasket

Just an FYI, you might want to walk out and make sure you have this gasket/rubber trim piece under your WK2 hood.

It would seem like a fairly important piece to me, but I'm certainly no expert. Either way, it's suppose to be there, make sure you have it. (At first I thought maybe it was something only on the off road package Jeeps, but when I checked at the dealer it was on several other Overlands with 20's)

It sits underneath your hood, at the leading edge, on the drivers side. It's purpose is obvious, redirect water away from the air intake during a deluge, or during fording. This has been brought up a couple of times, but buried in the back of a huge thread somewhere, and several others have reported not having it. I checked for mine back then, and sure enough it was missing. When I brought it to the dealer, I told them I had a missing piece there under the hood, but before I left I made sure to check a couple other Wk2's in the showroom, which both had it. I also noted their color and location. Why? Because I knew exactly what they'd say, and sure enough, my SA called and said "Mr. NB, that's just the way they're built, there isn't suppose to be anything there". My reply must be obvious by now, "please take a look at the Stone White Overland in your showroom...."

Anyway, they ordered it, it finally came in, they snapped it on. No biggie, just something small you can watch out for. If I had to guess, this is maybe more prevalent on early built Jeeps, mine was built August 12th. Or hell, maybe I'm the only one.:headbang:

http://www.ethanshilling.com/Everyth...g865S-X2-1.jpg

http://www.ethanshilling.com/Everyth...6_QjPpX-X2.jpg

Cheers,

NB

chibianh 01-21-2011 07:50 PM

Re: Check your hood gasket

thanks for the heads up! I'll check mine out

zer0kid 01-21-2011 08:27 PM

I have that piece on the drivers side but not on the passenger, are there supposed to be two?

KarlG 01-21-2011 08:53 PM

Wonder if this was related to the gent who had the hydrolock?
Thanks for the thumbs up...I'll be checking this.:thumbsup:

Nbtstatic 01-21-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zer0kid (Post 339323)
I have that piece on the drivers side but not on the passenger, are there supposed to be two?

I don't believe so, only one that falls right in front of the intake.

NB

chibianh 01-21-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chibianh (Post 339306)
thanks for the heads up! I'll check mine out

yep.. it's there.. driver side only

jeep2011 01-21-2011 10:44 PM

Oh lord here we go again, lol

moosehead 01-21-2011 10:56 PM

The gasket is supposed to only be on the driver's side in front of the intake. It does keep rain and debris from entering directly into the intake, therefore one is not needed on the passenger side.

Nbtstatic 01-21-2011 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 339394)
Oh lord here we go again, lol

I just thought I'd post a PSA, for anyone else like me, who may have had this part omitted during their build. You may run just fine without one for 20 years, but you might as well get what you paid for.

Did I miss where this has already been posted? :confused:

NB

Dan JGC 01-22-2011 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlG (Post 339336)
Wonder if this was related to the gent who had the hydrolock?
Thanks for the thumbs up...I'll be checking this.:thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly.....I hope he reads this......or if I (or someone else) can locate his user name and PM him I'm sure he'd appreciate it since it seems to fit exactly what caused his issue.

JUST DID THE SEARCH AND PM'D COST554....HOPE IT HELPS HIM!

moosehead 01-22-2011 02:20 AM

^NB, thanks for the heads up it's a good reminder for all to check given its importance. Some guys got thrown off that there wasn't a matching passenger side in the past, but this may be one of the first we've seen without the needed driver's side.

Nbtstatic 01-22-2011 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 339483)
^NB, thanks for the heads up it's a good reminder for all to check given its importance. Some guys got thrown off that there wasn't a matching passenger side in the past, but this may be one of the first we've seen without the needed driver's side.

Yea, understood, there wouldn't be much use for one on the other side. When I saw mine missing from directly in front of the intake I was definitely wanting to get it added though, especially with that hydrolock thread kicking around here forever.

So far I've had two Major issues with this Jeep, a missing piece of rubber and a passenger mat with no hole for the anchor point. Terrible right? :lol::p