Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   4WD System works again! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/4wd-system-works-again-17797.html)

Dunecrawler 01-22-2011 11:17 AM

4WD System works again!

10 Attachment(s)
We took a short trip to the desert today to test the 4WD system after the Dealer had a go at fixing it. It works!!! No problems, so I am happy again.
Had it in High range Sand mode most of the time, but I did try low range and I think Marlin is correct; it works well in the sand. As long as you go easy on the throttle.
We nearly got stuck a couple of times, but the Jeep made it out without me having to do any digging.
Tire pressure was 17psi and also seems about right. I forgot to remove the front air dam, but the Jeep got rid of it all by itself as I had to get a little aggressive getting out of a hole.
Here are some pics. Most are just of the Jeep, but there are a couple of the other guy’s toys also. The last one is the Dubai skyline on the return drive back to the city.

Nbtstatic 01-22-2011 11:22 AM

Re: 4WD System works again!

Man that is great news. Would you mind telling us what the fix was again in this thread?

The photos are amazing, I would love to spend a day out there with you.

NB

Dunecrawler 01-22-2011 11:28 AM

They say they did a software upgrade of the ABS systems that was released on 8th Jan 2011. I suspect it was the ESC sensitivity update that everyone knows about, but not sure.
Whatever they did, it seems to have worked. It did very well, but I would still prefer if I could completely disable the ESP/ESC. (Are you listening Jeep/Chrysler???). Maybe another software update in the future?

Nbtstatic 01-22-2011 11:34 AM

That's odd, the one from Jan 8 just says "Some customers may prefer more sensitivity during ESC events. Reprogramming the ESC module will provide more sensitivity".

It's hard to connect the dots on how that wouldve helped your situation. Maybe there were a couple of other ESC bug fixes in there that ended up correcting your problem. Say the ESC system fighting with the 4wd system in sand driving, for example.

Either way, I'm glad they got you rolling!

NB

Knightrider03m 01-22-2011 11:35 AM

I would love to tear up the desert in my KK. Seams like fun :D

MSCA 01-22-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunecrawler (Post 339559)
...I forgot to remove the front air dam, but the Jeep got rid of it all by itself as I had to get a little aggressive getting out of a hole...

Did it get destroyed, or can you put it back on? And if it did get destroyed, did you price a new one?

chibianh 01-22-2011 12:02 PM

glad to hear it's fixed! This picture is badass! Do you have a hi rez one I can have?

http://www.jeepgarage.org/attachment...6&d=1295713039

pattyboy 01-22-2011 12:11 PM

awesome...pix of the month next................got my vote...jotm feb.

Technosavant 01-22-2011 12:53 PM

Sweet. Nice pics, and I'm happy they came through for you. Have fun out in the sand.

2011Laredo 01-22-2011 01:15 PM

great pics!

GlowingGhoul 01-22-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunecrawler (Post 339567)
They say they did a software upgrade of the ABS systems that was released on 8th Jan 2011. I suspect it was the ESC sensitivity update that everyone knows about, but not sure.
Whatever they did, it seems to have worked. It did very well, but I would still prefer if I could completely disable the ESP/ESC. (Are you listening Jeep/Chrysler???). Maybe another software update in the future?

I have it on good authority that the WK2's electronic control system is about to be thoroughly hacked through an add on controller...

Dunecrawler 01-22-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 339576)
Did it get destroyed, or can you put it back on? And if it did get destroyed, did you price a new one?

Nope. It was fine. I just popped it back after the drive without any problems. Only one of the clips was lost. The air dam directly in front of the passenger side wheel ripped out. It was at 90 degrees to the rest of the air dam! (Sorry I did not get any photos). Like I said no damage whatsoever. It is very flexible and tough. I was surprised as I thought it would be a gonner for sure.