Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

4WD System works again!

7K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Coen 
#1 ·
We took a short trip to the desert today to test the 4WD system after the Dealer had a go at fixing it. It works!!! No problems, so I am happy again.
Had it in High range Sand mode most of the time, but I did try low range and I think Marlin is correct; it works well in the sand. As long as you go easy on the throttle.
We nearly got stuck a couple of times, but the Jeep made it out without me having to do any digging.
Tire pressure was 17psi and also seems about right. I forgot to remove the front air dam, but the Jeep got rid of it all by itself as I had to get a little aggressive getting out of a hole.
Here are some pics. Most are just of the Jeep, but there are a couple of the other guy’s toys also. The last one is the Dubai skyline on the return drive back to the city.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
They say they did a software upgrade of the ABS systems that was released on 8th Jan 2011. I suspect it was the ESC sensitivity update that everyone knows about, but not sure.
Whatever they did, it seems to have worked. It did very well, but I would still prefer if I could completely disable the ESP/ESC. (Are you listening Jeep/Chrysler???). Maybe another software update in the future?

#4 ·
That's odd, the one from Jan 8 just says "Some customers may prefer more sensitivity during ESC events. Reprogramming the ESC module will provide more sensitivity".

It's hard to connect the dots on how that wouldve helped your situation. Maybe there were a couple of other ESC bug fixes in there that ended up correcting your problem. Say the ESC system fighting with the 4wd system in sand driving, for example.

Either way, I'm glad they got you rolling!

NB

#12 ·
Nope. It was fine. I just popped it back after the drive without any problems. Only one of the clips was lost. The air dam directly in front of the passenger side wheel ripped out. It was at 90 degrees to the rest of the air dam! (Sorry I did not get any photos). Like I said no damage whatsoever. It is very flexible and tough. I was surprised as I thought it would be a gonner for sure.

#17 ·
Is there a price to pay with your car, in general, when driving in sand? Personally, I hate the beach, because the stupid sand somehow finds a way into every crack/hole in your body. Is there concern that driving in it will damage the wheel bearings, suspension parts, scratch brake rotors, etc.? :confused:

#18 ·
No not really. I think of all the off-roading, sand driving is the least damaging. Never had any problems, or heard of any either and the guys here live in the sand.
It does however get EVERYWHERE. PITA! :D

#19 · (Edited)
Great pics DuneCrawler! I'm envious of all those dunes you have to play with. Have to tread more lightly here, but it's still a lot of fun!

(yes, I take every shameless opportunity to post more pics of my vehicle)

#23 ·
Hi Dunecrawler,
I have read with interest you posts regarding this topic and happy to see a resolution in the end.

I have just experienced the exact same problem with my new 2012 GC. On the beach at Moreton Island off the coast of Brisbane, Australia. Heavy sand conditions and 'bing', the SERV 4WD light comes on and I lose the front 2 wheels. Bogged pretty quick.

After getting pulled out and towed for 20 mins, the warning lights all disappeared and 4WD was back in business. Unhooked from towing and ran 4WD for about 20 mins and then the ESC Malfuntion light came on, but stayed engaged in 4WD.

After a night of sitting, tried the beach again, but didn't make it more than a few hundred meters before the SERV 4WD came on again.

My GC is in with Jeep Service for a second time in a week after they said 'nothing wrong with it'. Keen to see if they have any progress or have read posts like this. Wonder why my GC (newer than yours) would not have had this ABS or ESC software updates??

Thanks again for the posts. It gives me hope that I might take my Luxury 4x4 of the year out onto the sand again...

#24 ·
To Surfer Peck.
Have an overland and Moreton bound late November. Concerned that mine will have similar issue. Build date 03/12 diesel.
What dealership is looking at your loss of 4 w/d. I am on the Southside and have done 6500 klm and very pleased with it except for potential loss of 4 w/d when we start using on beach.Interested in outcome
Regards
Strategy

#25 ·
Hi guys,

I was curious whether these issues reoccurred; my car is currently for service at al futtaim, but earlier today they called me because they couldn't track down what the issue was so they were going to bring it back to jeep. I'm more than interested in your opinions!
Any more GC here in Dubai? Perhaps there is an opportunity to go out to the desert sometime? Time is ticking though; it's heating up pretty quick!!!

Coen

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van JeepGarage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.