Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Defective Amplifier

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Biggie65792000 
#1 ·
I bought my 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland last weekend and while driving home I noticed that not all of the speakers were working. Only the front center and the two speakers in the very back worked, none of the door speakers did... I took it into the service department and they diagnosed it as the amplifier was defective and it would take 5 business days to get a new one. I am not happy that a 44k new car already has problems and has to be taken apart with only 700 miles on it... Has anyone else had this problem?

#2 ·
The positive about this is that it's an issue with your Alpine amp, not Jeep components. Yes, I know, it still sucks that you're out of a sound system for a week.

#3 ·
I had the same problem except mine created a sort of feedback through the speakers intermittently. It has been fine since they repaired it. No issues with them taking things apart and putting it back together. You'll love the sound system when it is fully functional.

#6 ·
I had a similar problem. The 6 door speakers weren't working (2 per front door + 1 per rear door). Only the front center, sub, and 2 rear column were working. I didn't notice at first because the center front speaker is nice and combined with the 2 rear column speakers, you do hear sound from both sides. I recommend playing with the fade and balance then getting out of the vehicle so you can get close to each speaker to verify sound. Through this great forum I found TSBs. I searched them and found 08-018-11a. I printed and brought to the dealer with me. Of course the day of my service appt, they all start working. (go figure)! I told the service manager about the tsb & he said it was unlikely. Then since the speakers were working at the moment they said they couldn't find anything but checked wiring etc. A week later...same as before, speakers not working again. I bring it back and bring up the tsb to another tech. They still said they didn't think that was it. Luckily speakers stayed not working for this appt. Day later, I get a call saying they had to order a new amp. Now I have to wait a week for shipping and spend another day at the dealership for install. Oh one other thing I noticed was an occasional popping noise from speakers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.