Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Does using the "Tiptronic" like shifter save gas? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/does-using-the-tiptronic-like-shifter-save-gas-17810.html)

blackonblack 01-22-2011 03:09 PM

Does using the "Tiptronic" like shifter save gas?

IDK what it is called on the jeep's but i was driving my friend's 3.7L yesterday using this and i wanted to know if it saves gas? I was just doing it for the fun of it...

blackonblack 01-22-2011 03:10 PM

Re: Does using the "Tiptronic" like shifter save gas?

someone said "The models with a Mercedes transmission (3.7L, SRT8) have Tiptronic, the models with a Chrysler transmission (4.7L, 5.7L) have Electronic Range Select."
is that true

Archer9 01-22-2011 03:29 PM

No, it doesn't save gas.

blackonblack 01-22-2011 03:39 PM

would it in any way waste more gas? jw

wkthursty 01-22-2011 06:18 PM

"tiptronic"??? are you guys talking about the manumatic shifter?

Archer9 01-22-2011 06:21 PM

It's for better performance, mainly easier shifting to a lower gear when you need more torque from the engine. I use it rarely, mainly when looking for more acceleration, sometimes shifting directly from D to 3. Of course when used like that it will use more gas for sure.

Archer9 01-22-2011 09:24 PM

You're probably right Thursty. I haven't looked at the owner's manual in quite a while but I think I understood the OP's question. Anyway I hope we're all talking about the same thing

Drew 01-23-2011 11:10 AM

I doubt it saves any gas.
Personally, I do drop it down to 4 when cruising around town because it seems to want to do a LOT of up/down shifting at that 40-50mph range.

suzieque 01-23-2011 11:27 AM

saving gas? not in any info I've read. saving brake pads/rotors by downshifting yourself sooner when coming to a stop? probably.

2011Laredo 01-23-2011 11:32 AM

I used it once so far...not as fun as when I used it in my VW...put it in D and go!

wkthursty 01-23-2011 01:33 PM

yeah. my old man's 06-08 charger r/t's both have the manumatic shifters. i think they were the 06 r/t's were the first ones to introduce them. then they put them in most of the chrysler products. i personally use it more often than not bc i hate having a slow start off. but its a preference. i enjoy using it.

blackonblack 01-23-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkthursty (Post 340217)
yeah. my old man's 06-08 charger r/t's both have the manumatic shifters. i think they were the 06 r/t's were the first ones to introduce them. then they put them in most of the chrysler products. i personally use it more often than not bc i hate having a slow start off. but its a preference. i enjoy using it.

true, to me if im cruising around and wanna have fun i would do it. and other times it gets annoying and just slap it in drive.