Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   lifetime extended warranty as second owner? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/lifetime-extended-warranty-as-second-owner-17834.html)

Keirik 01-22-2011 11:29 PM

lifetime extended warranty as second owner?
 
1. i just bought an 09 Overland with 13k miles on it. It's certified so it comes with the 3/36k B2B already. Am i better off getting this warranty now from the website or waiting until it becomes closer to the time the current B2B wears out?
2. The price goes up with more miles on the car or is it just once the vehicle is older than 12 months?
3. Is there some sort of time limit on when you can purchase this? Like I have to purchase it within x amount of days of purchasing the vehicle?
4. When i order it through the website, they mail me copies of everything and I just keep it in the car with me? I'm wondering how this works in terms of getting the dealership of my choice to honor the warranty.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-22-2011 11:55 PM

Re: lifetime extended warranty as second owner?
 
what website are you talking about? the chrysler lifetime warranty is non-transferable

Knightrider03m 01-23-2011 01:10 AM

Re: lifetime extended warranty as second owner?
 
Certified used cars also get the luxury of having the life time deal.

Keirik 01-23-2011 01:31 AM

Re: lifetime extended warranty as second owner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 339949)
what website are you talking about? the chrysler lifetime warranty is non-transferable

who said anything about transferring it? You can purchase one you know, or am i wrong in that? lol.

Drew 01-23-2011 11:06 AM

Re: lifetime extended warranty as second owner?
 
I got the "lifetime powertrain" on my 07'. I bought it used/certified from a local dealer.
It seemed like everything I read on the net said you have to be the original owner but from what I was told on the phone and later followed up with directly from Jeep is that a Jeep dealer can sell it on pre-owned as long as they are certified and under 36k/4 years from in service date.
I later followed up with Jeep on the web and logging into my warranty contract is says something like expiration date of 2099 and 999,999 miles which must be the max settings when put into the system.
IIRC the "lifetime powertrain" retails for $1,500 and sells for right around $1,200 give or take. The dealer and I were at about $1,000 impass while negotiating price.....so I threw the warranty at them and it was a done deal.:cool:

Keirik 01-23-2011 01:05 PM

Re: lifetime extended warranty as second owner?
 
so the million dollar question is, can i drive it off the lot with the 13k it has and call up the number on the website and get the warranty added at a later date.

mjl2610 01-23-2011 01:19 PM

Re: lifetime extended warranty as second owner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keirik (Post 339940)
1. i just bought an 09 Overland with 13k miles on it. It's certified so it comes with the 3/36k B2B already. Am i better off getting this warranty now from the website or waiting until it becomes closer to the time the current B2B wears out?
2. The price goes up with more miles on the car or is it just once the vehicle is older than 12 months?
3. Is there some sort of time limit on when you can purchase this? Like I have to purchase it within x amount of days of purchasing the vehicle?
4. When i order it through the website, they mail me copies of everything and I just keep it in the car with me? I'm wondering how this works in terms of getting the dealership of my choice to honor the warranty.

I got an 06 with 23k miles two years ago. I waited til i got closer when my 3/36k B2B ran out before I bought a 6y70k 0 deductible max care warranty. I ended up paying $1525 direct from Chrysler over the phone. The warranty prices do go up the more miles you have on it.

If you want an extended warranty from Chrysler I was told you should purchase one before your 3/36 runs out whether that is 100% true or not. I was getting one anyhow so they didn't need to sell me on a time limit. Just be safe and get it before your 3/36 runs out if you are going to get one. You will be fine. I dont know for sure if you can get a LIFETIME warranty as a second owner. Best to call up a place like chryslerwarrantys and ask questions about it. I am sure they will have the info you are looking for on that.

If you are going to order or get a warranty from online like chryslerwarrantys.com or something they are a legitimate chrysler dealer. You will get all your information mailed to you once you purchase the contract from chrysler. If you dont get it or need a replacement just call and they will mail it to you.

As far as taking advantage of a warranty if need be just take it into any chrysler jeep or dodge dealer for service. They will have all your warranty information and what is covered by your contract in their computer system based off of VIN. You dont need any paperwork.

Keirik 01-23-2011 01:52 PM

Re: lifetime extended warranty as second owner?
 
thank you bro, that helps out a lot. This is great news as yeah, i still have the bumper to bumper certified for another 20k miles and i'll probably just wait until i get my tax returns, or when i sell one of my other cars since i dont need 3 cars for me and fitting them in my house is a hassle, lol.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-23-2011 02:33 PM

Re: lifetime extended warranty as second owner?
 
i know some of you are sayin g it is transferable, but right on chryslers site it says it is not......

<LI class=ques>Q8: What about second owners of the vehicle?A8: Subsequent owners or lessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not covered. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle is transferred by operation of law are also not covered. Chrysler offers extended service contracts for purchase for second owners of Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge vehicles.
<LI class=ques>Q9: Why did you choose to make this program non-transferable?A9: Our internal research data confirmed that the transferability take rate (available on the 7-year/70,000-mile warranty program) was low. We are providing peace-of-mind to the original owner who made the investment in our Chrysler product. Our competitors, Hyundai/KIA/Mitsubishi that offer what was considered the benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty (10 years/100,000 miles), only extend it to the original owner. With the announcement of the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, Chrysler will be the new benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty.


so i guess if it offered to you i would go for it?

Keirik 01-23-2011 02:45 PM

Re: lifetime extended warranty as second owner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 340261)
i know some of you are sayin g it is transferable, but right on chryslers site it says it is not......

<LI class=ques>Q8: What about second owners of the vehicle?A8: Subsequent owners or lessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not covered. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle is transferred by operation of law are also not covered. Chrysler offers extended service contracts for purchase for second owners of Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge vehicles.
<LI class=ques>Q9: Why did you choose to make this program non-transferable?A9: Our internal research data confirmed that the transferability take rate (available on the 7-year/70,000-mile warranty program) was low. We are providing peace-of-mind to the original owner who made the investment in our Chrysler product. Our competitors, Hyundai/KIA/Mitsubishi that offer what was considered the benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty (10 years/100,000 miles), only extend it to the original owner. With the announcement of the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, Chrysler will be the new benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty.


so i guess if it offered to you i would go for it?

i think you are misunderrstanding. No one is saying it is transferrable. We are talking about purchasing a new one as a second owner, which is possible.
Quote:

Chrysler offers extended service contracts for purchase for second owners of Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge vehicles.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-23-2011 03:15 PM

Re: lifetime extended warranty as second owner?
 
i guess i would purchase it only if i planned on keeping the vehicle longer than 7-8 years. i passed on the warranty on my jeep because i only planned on keeping it for 5 years.

Keirik 01-23-2011 03:31 PM

Re: lifetime extended warranty as second owner?
 
well, i'll easily go up to and more than 100k miles well before 7-8 years so for me, it's important hence why im here asking the question.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community