Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT8 - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f25/)
-   -   Whats too cold for the SRT8 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f25/whats-too-cold-for-the-srt8-17872.html)

SRTILL8 01-24-2011 11:16 AM

Whats too cold for the SRT8

so this past weekend i spent my time in the freezing upstate temps. saturday night it got down to -11* up there.:eek::eek: it was cold.

i started thinking of how this cant be any good for the beast, thinking cold starts and what nots type of deal. i kept thinking daym its phucking cold for her out there.

im just thinking the oil prolly soo thick and etc. cant be that good..

the next morning i started her up when it said -3 degrees. it started right up but i let it sit for soo long before i decided to roll out to get breakfast.

:sleepy:

jth_9 01-24-2011 11:27 AM

Re: Whats too cold for the SRT8

Yeah man... I know what your thinking because here in Missouri we had a really bad cold front come through and we had the temps drop to -20 here and I still was worried about starting my jeep but she did without hesitation and I let her warm up pretty good before I got in and started driving...

jth_9 01-24-2011 11:29 AM

Im sure the Canadian boys will chime in as Im sure they get some ridiculous temps where they are at... not sure if they are affected by it or not... would like to see what they have to say...

StoneCold 01-24-2011 11:29 AM

Lowest we had here was -17C. My WJ had no probs.

jth_9 01-24-2011 11:32 AM

^^ yeah, where Im at the winter temps stay pretty consistent at or around the mid teens... nothing in the negatives... I would imagine temps that stayed in the negatives all the time might affect it more... but who knows

SRTILL8 01-24-2011 11:32 AM

yup, i started to think of things i could do to keep her a bit warner while i sat by the fireplace- haha

i even went as far as thinking i have a 8-10 foot electric blanket heater in the garage, maybe i should throw that on the front of the car- lol- almost went and looked for it- haha

honestly i dont like it that cold. for me im fine, i can deal with it. its just shes my baby, id hate to damage her in anyway. even the slightest bit would have me in tears.

jth_9 01-24-2011 11:38 AM

I know exactly what you mean man haha..... she's my baby too and I take care of her better than myself :D... does yours not have a engine block heater? would you consider adding one just in case or for peace of mind?

SRTILL8 01-24-2011 11:39 AM

i read that its not ideal for the 6.1 motor...but i wouldnt indulge in one really to be honest, heard too many bad to combat the good.

jth_9 01-24-2011 11:41 AM

yeah... thats what I thought.. hell to be honest I never really even checked if mine has one.. My jeep came from MI so it might be equipped w/ one because its fully loaded..

YYCSRT8 01-24-2011 11:46 AM

Had to drive someone to the airport last year when it was -39* outside. She never skipped a beat.

jth_9 01-24-2011 11:50 AM

damn thats cold! :eek: nice ride man...

YYCSRT8 01-24-2011 11:54 AM

YKPizzaGuy lives about as North as you can get and I don't think he's had any issues either. Just let her warm up and you should be good to go.