Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   TPS sensor and Cruise Control sensor (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/tps-sensor-and-cruise-control-sensor-17882.html)

dhryan44 01-24-2011 02:08 PM

TPS sensor and Cruise Control sensor

Hey every1..so every once in a while when im driving my 04 GC my check engine light comes on..so I went to Auto Zone to do the test thing..it said my throttle positioning sensor is having an error or is going out..how hard is it to replace and where can i get one for cheap?..Also when i drive my Cruise Control just turns off..so im thinking its my the CC sensor..any help on that?

TJXJWJ 01-24-2011 02:31 PM

Re: TPS sensor and Cruise Control sensor

Definitely start with the TPS. You can get one at the dealer and they aren't THAT expensive. I personally don't trust sensors from "the zone". It mounts to the throttle body with 2 or 3 torx screws. It's a very easy remove and replace type thing.

dhryan44 01-24-2011 07:09 PM

haha yeah zone kinda does suck lol..could u give me a general description of where the throttle body is..im 17 and im just starting into the automotive world

pattyboy 01-24-2011 07:26 PM

may be this pix will help u locate ithttp://info.rockauto.com/getimage/ge...30-0&width=450

TJXJWJ 01-24-2011 07:26 PM

No problem man...
Follow your air filter tube. Where it connects near the rear of the engine compartment will be your throttle body. It sits a little off to the right of the valve cover and has some plugs and wires coming out of it...and your throttle cable (the one that makes your truck rev when you pull on it)

Here you go...

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/eng...dy01/body2.jpg

Frango100 01-24-2011 07:43 PM

Regarding your cruise control, its using the same TPS sensor on the throttle body to give a throttle position input signal to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). So changing the TPS sensor can probably solve your Cruise control problem as well.
Your cruise control is an electronically controlled (by the PCM as well), vacuum operated actuator, which controls the second cable on the throttle lever (named as hand throttle in the picture)

dhryan44 01-24-2011 11:24 PM

holy crap guys thanks soo much this is going to help sooo much

violant00 01-25-2011 02:24 AM

I think yur right about ANY sensor from the zone.. im using a speed output sensor i had to replace and since its been cold its just not working correctly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 340744)
Definitely start with the TPS. You can get one at the dealer and they aren't THAT expensive. I personally don't trust sensors from "the zone". It mounts to the throttle body with 2 or 3 torx screws. It's a very easy remove and replace type thing.

TJXJWJ 01-25-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhryan44 (Post 341030)
holy crap guys thanks soo much this is going to help sooo much

No problem man...anything to keep a fellow jeeper in his own garage instead of paying someone else to do it...this thing is literally like 2 or 3 screws and 1 plug.

TJXJWJ 01-25-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violant00 (Post 341108)
I think yur right about ANY sensor from the zone.. im using a speed output sensor i had to replace and since its been cold its just not working correctly.

Exactly...I'm not sure why it's so hard to make decent sensors. So when it comes to that type of stuff, I'm off to the dealer unfortunately. It's worth the extra $10 or so to not have to do it again anytime soon. I've had SOME luck with O2 sensors from Napa/The Zone/Advance, but even with those I make sure I use lots of anti-seize in case I'm taking them back out in a few weeks.

violant00 01-25-2011 09:19 AM

I havent looked for my sensor but if i have to pay extra for it to work correctly then i dont see why not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 341157)
Exactly...I'm not sure why it's so hard to make decent sensors. So when it comes to that type of stuff, I'm off to the dealer unfortunately. It's worth the extra $10 or so to not have to do it again anytime soon. I've had SOME luck with O2 sensors from Napa/The Zone/Advance, but even with those I make sure I use lots of anti-seize in case I'm taking them back out in a few weeks.

violant00 01-25-2011 09:22 AM

Funny, as a child and teenager i ALWAYS loved the jeeps but never had one. Last year my wife runs into some money and forces me to buy this jeep. So the first thing i did was research EVERYTHING and you'd be surprised the stuff you can do just by yourself. I always triple check to see if i can do it myself before taking it to a mechanic. And hey its a lot less out of your pocket for mods :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 341156)
No problem man...anything to keep a fellow jeeper in his own garage instead of paying someone else to do it...this thing is literally like 2 or 3 screws and 1 plug.