Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   4WD LOW and HDC (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/4wd-low-and-hdc-17889.html)

brit 01-24-2011 04:52 PM

4WD LOW and HDC

only a week into the new Overland offroad pack, 3.6. Very noce but puzzled by the transmission options.

This is a jeeopand you have to use a pen or oither sharp pointed object to engage 4WD low!!!
It makethe processawkward.The HDC seemsto demand you already by tipped into the slope and then only at fairly extreme slope angles.Why the nannying?

Being able to use 4WD low and HDC was integral to buying this because of
the steep,icy , driveway we have, and the steep road below that and it seems
oddthat it is limited to the rock crawl programme for activation.

Hopefully I have missedmy way in reading the (inconsistent) instructions in the DVD andownermanual.

Any advise welcome.

Brit

DieselvRR 01-24-2011 04:56 PM

Re: 4WD LOW and HDC

Quote:

Originally Posted by brit (Post 340794)
only a week into the new Overland offroad pack, 3.6. Very noce but puzzled by the transmission options.

This is a jeeopand you have to use a pen or oither sharp pointed object to engage 4WD low!!!
It makethe processawkward.The HDC seemsto demand you already by tipped into the slope and then only at fairly extreme slope angles.Why the nannying?

Being able to use 4WD low and HDC was integral to buying this because of
the steep,icy , driveway we have, and the steep road below that and it seems
oddthat it is limited to the rock crawl programme for activation.

Hopefully I have missedmy way in reading the (inconsistent) instructions in the DVD andownermanual.

Any advise welcome.

Brit

HUH? You have to put the transmission into Neutral by using the shifter before you go into 4Low. The neutral button is for the transfer case, use this for getting towed.

LJS8510 01-24-2011 06:06 PM

"This is a jeeopand you have to use a pen or oither sharp pointed object to engage 4WD low!!!"

This is only for emergency!

Just do what Diesel said

Repo503 01-24-2011 06:13 PM

Any advise welcome.

Brit

Try the spacebar.

mjw930 01-24-2011 08:04 PM

HDC isn't designed for ice and snow, they require enough traction to keep the vehicle's down hill motion in check. All the low speed transfer cases and selective braking in the world will have no effect if the wheels can't get traction. Regardless what the advertisements want you to think, Jeeps can't defy physics.

Good luck with that driveway, perhaps you need to invest in chains or a good snow blower......

Repo503 01-24-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 340920)
HDC isn't designed for ice and snow, they require enough traction to keep the vehicle's down hill motion in check. All the low speed transfer cases and selective braking in the world will have no effect if the wheels can't get traction. Regardless what the advertisements want you to think, Jeeps can't defy physics.

Good luck with that driveway, perhaps you need to invest in chains or a good snow blower......

My neighbors driveway has heating elements underneath it...so its always clear of snow and ice...pretty cool I think.

NetJunkie 01-24-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 340920)

Yes. HDC is meant for REALLY steep hills..the kind you can barely walk up in dry weather. It's meant to keep you from losing control of the Jeep due to the steep angle. That's why I don't see it as a problem that you need to be in 4LO. In those situations you SHOULD be in 4LO.

Nbtstatic 01-24-2011 11:53 PM

Did you get this figured out Brit?

You definitely don't need to be poking at the full neutral button to get into 4-Low, just pop the gear shifter into N.

NB

LJS8510 01-25-2011 07:54 AM

I could see where there may be confusion the wk2 web site says this

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tcases.htm

"Electric shifting between 4WD AUTO and 4WD Low is effected with a console-mounted switch. A pushpin button is used to shift to Neutral mode."

r0tor 01-25-2011 08:37 AM

I used hdc this weekend going down a steep ass snow/ice covered mountain road with no huardrails and a cliff on one side... worked very well, although I still wish it worked in high range

brit 02-02-2011 04:33 PM

Delayed by plowing chores , many thanks for the advice, :)

the issue was you must disengage traction control for it to activate 4wd low,the handbooks are inconsisitent on method but this works fine with 4wd and neutral selected although it is somewhat reluctant to come out of low even on level ground in neutral. Madison Jeep (CT), my dealer were on the ball when I called them on this issue.:thumbsup:

NetJunkie 02-02-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brit (Post 346865)
Delayed by plowing chores , many thanks for the advice, :)

the issue was you must disengage traction control for it to activate 4wd low,the handbooks are inconsisitent on method but this works fine with 4wd and neutral selected although it is somewhat reluctant to come out of low even on level ground in neutral. Madison Jeep (CT), my dealer were on the ball when I called them on this issue.:thumbsup:

Uh..no. You don't need to disengage traction control to go to 4Low. Just go slow (like 2mph) and hit the 4Lo button. The movement helps the gears mesh as there are no synchros for that. So if you sit still and the teeth can't mesh it won't go.