Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Is this noise normal? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/is-this-noise-normal-17907.html)

rdalcanto 01-24-2011 11:09 PM

Is this noise normal?
 
My car seems perfect, but I'm curious what this one noise is. It sounds like a compressor type sound, but it is not the QL (when the car raises and lowers it is very quiet). It seems to be coming form the left front. It is not very often. It is a ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta type sound. If the radio is on normal volume, I basically can't hear it anymore. I wish I could pin down when it happens, but it is not very often. Something related to the ABS? Anyone else hear a similar periodic sound? I will try to pay more attention, to see if I can describe it any better for you guys if nobody else knows what I'm talking about....

Cperez 01-24-2011 11:41 PM

Re: Is this noise normal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 341023)
My car seems perfect, but I'm curious what this one noise is. It sounds like a compressor type sound, but it is not the QL (when the car raises and lowers it is very quiet). It seems to be coming form the left front. It is not very often. It is a ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta type sound. If the radio is on normal volume, I basically can't hear it anymore. I wish I could pin down when it happens, but it is not very often. Something related to the ABS? Anyone else hear a similar periodic sound? I will try to pay more attention, to see if I can describe it any better for you guys if nobody else knows what I'm talking about....

I hear something similar to that after the vehicle is shut down and at rest for a minute or two. I noticed it the other day while futzing around in the garage and mounting license plates. I've also heard what sounded like a little servo motor whirring for a few seconds when the vehicle is sitting there parked.

Sometimes when I'm backing out of my garage I'll hear this isolated and slightly muffled pinging sound like a small spring being tweaked. No, I'm not hitting anything on the way out; that's my wife's job in her garage bay and a topic for another thread...

Finally, when I start her up and get ready to go, I can swear I hear the sound that an iPhone makes when you plug it in to charge it, but it happens when I have not plugged it in via USB. At first I thought it was happening when the phone pairs via BT, but this sound should also trigger the phone's main screen to light up, but doesn't.

Hogs 01-25-2011 12:57 AM

Re: Is this noise normal?
 
I've also heard something similar while tinkering around in the garage shortly after shutting it down. I chalked it up to the load leveling system (not the QL as I don't have that) leveling out after the family disembarked from the vehicle.

moosehead 01-25-2011 03:15 AM

Re: Is this noise normal?
 
Mebbe a post coital sigh of pleasure from being driven hard and put up wet?

rdalcanto 01-25-2011 08:46 AM

Re: Is this noise normal?
 
Sorry if I'm not making much sense, but the sound is not after driving, it is while driving. I will take a video camera to work today, and see if I can capture it.

GC2011 01-25-2011 09:50 AM

Re: Is this noise normal?
 
It is more than likely the compressor compressing the air more so it is ready when you need it. The compressor is mount in the engine bay.

rdalcanto 01-25-2011 10:16 AM

Re: Is this noise normal?
 
I got it on video! On the first drive to the hospital (mainly highway) it didn't do it at all. On the second drive from the hospital to the office (mainly steady 35-40mph crusing, it did it twice. It seems to happen in sets of two. The first set is quieter, the second set is louder. There is a pause of a couple seconds between the two sets. The sound lasts about 4 seconds. It sounds like a tica-tica-tica-tica. After work this evenning I will upload it to youtube for you guys to hear.

Cperez 01-25-2011 10:43 AM

Re: Is this noise normal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 341214)
It sounds like a tica-tica-tica-tica. After work this evenning I will upload it to youtube for you guys to hear.

Is that a long "i" sound or a short "i"? Or is it like an "ee" sound?:D

j/k, looking fwd to the video/audio to determine if it's something I've heard, too. Thx for capturing it.

Vinnysrt8 01-25-2011 10:48 AM

Re: Is this noise normal?
 
it could be a valve tap on the motors the hemi r known for it.

rdalcanto 01-25-2011 12:28 PM

Re: Is this noise normal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GC2011 (Post 341196)
It is more than likely the compressor compressing the air more so it is ready when you need it. The compressor is mount in the engine bay.

Are you talking about the compressor for the QL? I thought the pump turned on to move nitrogen back and forth between the reserve tank and the shocks. Is that not how it works? Does it pressurize the tank, and then valves let it out from there to the shocks when needed? :confused:

Nbtstatic 01-25-2011 12:35 PM

Re: Is this noise normal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 341343)
Are you talking about the compressor for the QL? I thought the pump turned on to move nitrogen back and forth between the reserve tank and the shocks. Is that not how it works? Does it pressurize the tank, and then valves let it out from there to the shocks when needed? :confused:


Correct, closed system, nitrogen is only moving between the tank and the air shocks.

rdalcanto 01-25-2011 01:02 PM

Re: Is this noise normal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nbtstatic (Post 341351)
Correct, closed system, nitrogen is only moving between the tank and the air shocks.

Right, but is the compressor running when the shocks are changing height, or at other times to build pressure in the tank?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community