Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Wheel fit (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/wheel-fit-17908.html)

Technosavant 01-24-2011 11:56 PM

Wheel fit

I've been thinking about looking into a set of winter wheels/tires for my Overland. It looks like the 18" rims are a guaranteed fit, but what about the 17" size?

I know there's been some question about the brake clearance, but I couldn't tell if this has been cleared up. It would really open up some possibilities in tires if the 17" size would be a possibility. I'd love to get the black Jeep 18" rims, but the price may be a bit prohibitive on those.

Either way, it may be late fall before I actually start plunking down cash on anything.

the1jake 01-25-2011 08:19 AM

Re: Wheel fit

Just saw this thread yesterday. The guy has 17" Mickey Thompson wheels.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/.../#post10844590

bibowles 01-25-2011 10:16 AM

I tried a 17" Winter tire package from TireRack and the rims contacted the brake calipers before the rim was fully seated. So I had to swap for a 18" package.

I have the "5.7-Liter V8 Engine" and "Trailer Tow Group IV" so "Antilock 4-Wheel Disc Heavy Duty Brakes" are listed in the equipment, I assume this is what caused the 17" rims not to fit.

Technosavant 01-25-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibowles (Post 341213)
I tried a 17" Winter tire package from TireRack and the rims contacted the brake calipers before the rim was fully seated. So I had to swap for a 18" package.

I have the "5.7-Liter V8 Engine" and "Trailer Tow Group IV" so "Antilock 4-Wheel Disc Heavy Duty Brakes" are listed in the equipment, I assume this is what caused the 17" rims not to fit.

As near as I can tell (based on what research I've been able to do), the "heavy duty brakes" won't fit inside a 17" rim. Thing is, I'm not sure which vehicles got those brakes- it looks like the Hemi models with the towing package have them. I don't know if they went on any of the V-6 models (towing or no... I have a V-6 with the Trailer Tow Group III). My build sheet doesn't specifically state "heavy duty brakes," it only says "BRYS- Anti Lock 4 wheel disc brakes."

bibowles 01-25-2011 02:54 PM

I got my Winter tire package in November and TireRack was surprised to find there was a different sized brake, they had recommended the 17" size.

TireRack was quick and easy to deal with, once the problem was identified.

Guess stuff is just bound to happen with the introduction of a new model.

Technosavant 01-25-2011 03:13 PM

I figure it will be a few more months before the Tire Rack really gets caught up to the WK2. If you select the "Overland" trim level, it makes the assumption that the ONLY tires you can have are the 20" ones, and they report no fitting 18" wheels (despite the fact we all know that the 18" size should be good to go on a WK2).

JeepLee2011 02-07-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 341276)
As near as I can tell (based on what research I've been able to do), the "heavy duty brakes" won't fit inside a 17" rim. Thing is, I'm not sure which vehicles got those brakes- it looks like the Hemi models with the towing package have them. I don't know if they went on any of the V-6 models (towing or no... I have a V-6 with the Trailer Tow Group III). My build sheet doesn't specifically state "heavy duty brakes," it only says "BRYS- Anti Lock 4 wheel disc brakes."

Mine is a 5.7L LaredoX 4x4 with Trailer Two Group IV and Quadra-Trac II and it doesn't list heavy duty brakes. I've always loved the looks of Mickey Thompson Classic II. but they only go up to 17" so I would like to know if they'd fit.

Technosavant 02-07-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepLee2011 (Post 349896)
Mine is a 5.7L LaredoX 4x4 with Trailer Two Group IV and Quadra-Trac II and it doesn't list heavy duty brakes. I've always loved the looks of Mickey Thompson Classic II. but they only go up to 17" so I would like to know if they'd fit.

As near as I can tell, they won't. It looks like the HD brakes were part of the Hemi package, and according to a quick PM exchange with Milous, the build sheet code for the HD brakes is BR6 (may be BR6P if I understood him correctly).

I think 17" rims would have fit mine (since it's a V-6 model), but it would have cost $300 to be wrong about that ($150 shipping to me, same amount back to Tire Rack for an exchange) without saving even one red cent on the final bill even if they DID fit (the only thing I'd have gained is some other wheel choices and more tire selection). So I just ended up going with 18" rims and decided to be done with it.

bosca418 02-07-2011 11:51 AM

You guys think it would be possible to get a group buy going on the black jeep 18" rims? Cuz I'd be in!

Al

freewheel 09-24-2012 07:43 PM

Jeep sells 17" steel rims that will not rub the caliper of WK2 HD brakes. They are funny looking with flat face. You can't wear wheel covers with those tough.