Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Deposit paid to order (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/deposit-paid-to-order-17961.html)

rich mac 01-25-2011 09:58 PM

Deposit paid to order

What kind of deposit is usual when ordering Overland? What experiences have you had. One of the dealers I'm talking to wants a 10% deposit on an cash, no trade deal.

Technosavant 01-25-2011 10:01 PM

Re: Deposit paid to order

Last summer, most deposits seemed to be in the $100-250 range, usually refundable.

I'd call around and check with other dealers; 10% is way high.

WK2OverlandII 01-25-2011 10:02 PM

Mine was a $500 refundable personal check.

scittb 01-25-2011 10:10 PM

ordered the summit. 1000 bucks down.

JTS97Z28 01-25-2011 10:12 PM

Ordered my Overland and he was happy with $250 bucks and nothing else except my signature. We do everything else once it gets delivered to the dealership. Approximately $4,500 is waaayyyyyyyyy too much lol. Find another dealership!

James

mjw930 01-25-2011 10:20 PM

Ordered an Overland, $0 deposit. The GM said he would collect a deposit once the order was accepted and in C status but when it went to D status in 4 days I tried to write him a check but he said it wasn't necessary. Basically over the course of 2 or 3 conversations with him and the store owner he realized I wasn't going to back out so he didn't need a deposit to lock me in. It's great dealing with a small dealership!

One thing to remember, most dealers cannot get stock orders for the high end WK2's. 4X4 Overlands and Overland Summits are on allocation and only the huge dealers will get them for dealer stock before the summer. So, if you order one and back out most dealers will have no trouble reselling it in short order. If your dealer wants 10% I believe what they are telling you is, "we don't want to be bothered with a direct customer order". That is unless you want to order some oddball combination that they don't think they could sell quickly OR if you are in an area where a $45K - $50K Jeep is impossible to sell. As a weird twist on what your dealer is asking my dealer was telling me about a couple dealerships in the region who got seriously in trouble with Chrysler my "manufacturing" sold orders to get their stock orders higher in the queue. Because of that Chrysler is doing random verification of sold orders by contacting the customers and asking the dealers for copies of customer order paperwork. That's why it seems odd that a dealer would throw up a roadblock to a sold order when the worst thing that could happen would be they get another hot vehicle, something they could sell above most other vehicles in the lot weeks or months before one of their stock orders, if they can even get one of those as many dealers have exhausted their allotment and can only get additional WK2's if it's a sold order.

Anything over $500 is an insult, I would run, not walk away from them. It's an indication of how they do business and it's not the behavior I want in my dealership.

Knightrider03m 01-25-2011 10:52 PM

The norm is $500

joebinotto 01-25-2011 11:35 PM

Mine was $500 fully refundable.

scittb 01-25-2011 11:42 PM

The only reason I paid 1000 down at my dealership is they treat my aunt extremely well there over the years. She is the one who told me to go there. They always go above and beyond for her so I have no issue with 1000 down especially if its refundable.

zapp 01-26-2011 07:40 AM

$200, but I think he would have done it for nothing, I actually offered him a deposit

computerwiz621 01-26-2011 03:31 PM

Mine was $500, but fully refundable.

netcoolery 01-26-2011 03:41 PM

$1000 but I didn't mind because dealer was willing to take a credit card so I got frequent flyer miles of out of the deal. Considering that I can get about 1% interest if I'm lucky right now, I don't mind fronting the grand.