Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Can you powder coat a painted wheel? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/can-you-powder-coat-a-painted-wheel-17968.html)

TTUMBIO2010 01-26-2011 01:36 AM

Can you powder coat a painted wheel?

Just curious if you can powder coat over a painted wheel? Or would it just be easier/better to paint over the existing paint?

Thanks!

White Chocolate 01-26-2011 01:42 AM

Re: Can you powder coat a painted wheel?

Yes you can. Proper prep needs to be done.

TTUMBIO2010 01-26-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Chocolate (Post 342005)
Yes you can. Proper prep needs to be done.

Thanks for the info!

Scottina06 01-26-2011 02:46 PM

any good, reputable shop will strip the paint and then powder. Powder actually bonds on a molecular side with the aluminum in the wheel....

TTUMBIO2010 01-26-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 342323)
any good, reputable shop will strip the paint and then powder. Powder actually bonds on a molecular side with the aluminum in the wheel....

Powder better than paint? Thinking about going black.

Repo503 01-26-2011 03:00 PM

Powder is better than paint, much more durable finish, better resistence to scuffs, scratches and heat. Also easier to keep clean do to less embedded contaminents.

If you take them to a good shop they will media blast and acid dip your wheels before PCing them.

Scottina06 01-26-2011 03:02 PM

its subjective......tons more options with paint and it will be smoother, glossier. Some say powdercoat is tougher...but Ive yet to have that proven to me. A good painted wheel is pretty tough. My wheels are painted and they are tough...plus they will be easier to fix....LOL

Repo503 01-26-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 342337)
its subjective......tons more options with paint and it will be smoother, glossier. Some say powdercoat is tougher...but Ive yet to have that proven to me. A good painted wheel is pretty tough. My wheels are painted and they are tough...plus they will be easier to fix....LOL

That is a good point, much easier to touch up some paint than to try to match PC or have it recoated.

Paint finishes have come a long way and there are options that make it much more durable then in the past.

There are also a lot more color options for powdercoating available now as well as well as very glossy and matte finishes.

If I were trying to color match something I would go with paint, if I was going for a complimentary color look I would powdercoat.

Scottina06 01-26-2011 07:16 PM

I had my wheels Cerami-cleared. Its a clearcoat made by PPG that is so hard and flexible...that its difficult to sand. I also had my bumpers, side mirrors, hood and interior parts cerami-cleared.