Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Undercoating / Fluid Film, LPS-3 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/undercoating-fluid-film-lps-3-a-17991.html)

shawnrw 01-26-2011 05:22 PM

Undercoating / Fluid Film, LPS-3

I was wondering if anybody did any type of undercoating on their Jeep to prevent rust. My previous Tahoe was fine until moving in the rust belt (Kansas) and it became a problem, can't stand the sight of rust... I have not heard good things about the truck bed/rubber undercoating, but have heard great things about people using Fluid Film / LPS-3 to coat the under body of there truck and remaining rust free throughout ownership. Just want to stop rust before it ever thinks about becoming a problem.

Shawn

scittb 01-26-2011 05:26 PM

Re: Undercoating / Fluid Film, LPS-3

Shawn ask your crew chief about corrosion X, they have a thick formula now you can spray on. I use it on the Amphib Caravan I fly and its awesome!! They even specify that if you spray it on your boat trailers it will not come off over time! I did all my flight training back in the late 90's at Willie, small world!

http://www.corrosionx.com/

shawnrw 01-27-2011 06:39 AM

Will do. I have been doing some research on the stuff and corrosion x along with the other two keep popping up. Just seems like cheap insurance to stop a 40K vehicle from rusting out even if you have to apply it every winter. Where is Willie located?

Shawn

scittb 01-27-2011 12:39 PM

William gate way airport, KIWA. Your pic had said tempe. Its the airport where they complete the longbows. Outside of phoenix.

Bmwister 01-27-2011 07:27 PM

A friend did something odd (IMHO) by lightly spraying/rubbing the undercarriage of his VW CC with some Mobil-1 to protect it from the elements. After two hard winters in Minnesota it still looks factory-fresh shiny. My though is over time the oil would cause the undercarriage paint to delaminate, but paint is an area in which I have limited experience. Any thoughts on my friend's cheap rust-proofing solution?

Lingohocken 01-27-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnrw (Post 342418)
I was wondering if anybody did any type of undercoating on their Jeep to prevent rust. My previous Tahoe was fine until moving in the rust belt (Kansas) and it became a problem, can't stand the sight of rust... I have not heard good things about the truck bed/rubber undercoating, but have heard great things about people using Fluid Film / LPS-3 to coat the under body of there truck and remaining rust free throughout ownership. Just want to stop rust before it ever thinks about becoming a problem.

Shawn

Where are you in Kansas that's part of the rust belt? When I pee outdoors in Mitchell County, it's so dry that all that lands on the ground is yellow dust.

Well, almost, but you get the point...

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-28-2011 01:56 AM

heard good things about corrosion x, since when is kansas in the rust belt? lol

StoneCold 01-28-2011 04:32 AM

Over here I use Hammerite paint. Lots of people do, works like a charm:thumbsup:

shawnrw 01-28-2011 05:44 AM

Scittb, cool, I've never seen a Longbow new most of the ones in the inventory now have their fare share of hours, at least the ones I'm flying. You still flying now?

For Kansas being in the rust belt... I can't speak for this winter (currently on my last month of deployment in Iraq), but last winter around Manhattan, KS we got a lot of snow and noticed it took its toll on my Tahoe's frame. I may have been a little of base, but coming from living in Alabama 2 years prior Kansas sure felt pretty cold:)

Cperez 01-28-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scittb (Post 342423)
I did all my flight training back in the late 90's at Willie, small world!]

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnrw (Post 343417)
Scittb, cool, I've never seen a Longbow new most of the ones in the inventory now have their fare share of hours, at least the ones I'm flying. You still flying now?

Thank you both for your service. :thumbsup:

Lingohocken 01-28-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 343430)
Thank you both for your service. :thumbsup:

Ditto!

scittb 01-28-2011 05:05 PM

Chris no need to thank me, Im not in the military all the glory should go to Shawn. I just did my flight training civilian side at an old retired military base that went civilian. Back in 99 some vendors were still using that airport for completion centers for the Apaches so we used to see them from a distance as they were in a secure location at the airport.

Shawn I still fly, I live on Long Island and fly a family that lives in Manhattan. I fly a cessna caravan on floats and during the winter months and Gulfstreams II's and III's.