Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Light upgrade WK2...HELP overwhelmed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/light-upgrade-wk2-help-overwhelmed-17996.html)

flyin_dutchman 01-26-2011 06:39 PM

Light upgrade WK2...HELP overwhelmed

I'll apologize first off (new here), as I am sure there are quite a few threads about this subject, but after looking around, frankly I am just getting a headache and more and more confused! :eek:
I am looking for the easiest, cheapest way to get better brighter vision from highs/lows and fogs. I have seen pics of all the blues and yellows and stuff, but I am a plain jane white lite kinda guy. I also don't want some 100K housing melting power that will blind oncoming traffic, but rather a nice noticable light upgrade! I would like to brighten up license plate too.
Without too much slamming me :giveup:, can anyone point me in the right direction? Links to purchase items are welcome:thumbsup:
Thanks for your time
Dave

pattyboy 01-26-2011 06:43 PM

Re: Light upgrade WK2...HELP overwhelmed

I've installed 6000k in headlights and 6000k in fogs look great no complaints from oncoming vehicles...it comes with 4300k head lights

Scottina06 01-26-2011 06:56 PM

4300K and 5000K will give you the whitest light. The kits are really easy to install and we have two vendors here that will supply you the kit.

DAVY27 01-26-2011 06:57 PM

get a HID kit for the lows and fogs. you can contact xenondepot (one of the vendors) for the license plates, you can upgrade to led. idk what bulbs the WK2 uses for the license plates but once you do you can check here vleds.com. i think xenondepot also carries led bulbs

flyin_dutchman 01-26-2011 07:00 PM

Crap! I am too new and can't PM anyone yet.....but please give details where applicable.
@Patty - are they blueish?
@Scott- who are the vendors? How do I contact (P.S. - I really dig Jp!) (envy)

pattyboy 01-26-2011 07:09 PM

had originally installed 8000k and they were bluish so i settled on the 6000k,, be sure to install relay on fog hid...the headlights should just be a bulb change which i discuss earlier on another thread..if u have hids already!

Scottina06 01-26-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyin_dutchman (Post 342468)
Crap! I am too new and can't PM anyone yet.....but please give details where applicable.
@Patty - are they blueish?
@Scott- who are the vendors? How do I contact (P.S. - I really dig Jp!) (envy)

They are in the vendors forums just below the fs forum. The vendoprs are tcm glx and xenondepot

05wkguy 01-26-2011 08:40 PM

HID's are a geat upgrade but not if you are looking for EASY and non-blinding to other drivers. A simple bulb upgrade (Sylvania Silverstars come to mind but there are many others) will get you more light, pure in color and very easy to do.

TJXJWJ 01-27-2011 01:25 PM

Do they even make projectors for the WK2 yet?

I've got 5000k in projectors in my WJ...huge upgrade over Silverstar ultras. I would wait until projectors are available, then upgrade to HID, 4300 or 5000k. In the meantime, replace your exterior bulbs (license plate, reverse, etc) with LED bulbs for a nice, crisp, clean light.

flyin_dutchman 01-27-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 342928)
Do they even make projectors for the WK2 yet?

I've got 5000k in projectors in my WJ...huge upgrade over Silverstar ultras. I would wait until projectors are available, then upgrade to HID, 4300 or 5000k. In the meantime, replace your exterior bulbs (license plate, reverse, etc) with LED bulbs for a nice, crisp, clean light.

I am not looking for much more than a headlight/fog bulb changeout for now, until I can get a better handle on what I am doing? Are the SilverStar Ultra's not good?
Can anyone give a link to get the correct license plate bulb replacement? Is it the 194, and if so, which one!?? :eek: I asked HighPerformanceBulbs for their recommendation, but they said "they do not have a database listing for 2011 models yet"? I'm sure somebody has put them on by now? Thanks

DAVY27 01-27-2011 09:17 PM

if its the 194, what do you think about this?

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...68086-1-2.html

TJXJWJ 01-27-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyin_dutchman (Post 343237)
I am not looking for much more than a headlight/fog bulb changeout for now, until I can get a better handle on what I am doing? Are the SilverStar Ultra's not good?
Can anyone give a link to get the correct license plate bulb replacement? Is it the 194, and if so, which one!?? :eek: I asked HighPerformanceBulbs for their recommendation, but they said "they do not have a database listing for 2011 models yet"? I'm sure somebody has put them on by now? Thanks

Don't get me wrong...the Silverstar Ultras are an awesome bulb. Put it this way...your OE bulbs are Yugos. The Silverstar Ultras are Cadillacs...an HID upgrade to 4300 or 5000k are the BMW's. If you're looking for an improvement, you'll be happy with Silverstars. If you're looking for a huge upgrade, then it's HID all the way.