Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Overland with and w/o Offroad Adventure Package II (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/overland-with-and-w-o-offroad-adventure-package-ii-17999.html)

AndyM 01-26-2011 07:17 PM

Overland with and w/o Offroad Adventure Package II

Hello. New guy here. About to pull the trigger on an Overland, but it does not have the Offroad Adventure Package II, which I want. Since the Overland comes with everything already, what am I missing if I don't get the Offroad Adventure Package II. Anything other than skid plates and tow hooks (which I can add)? Thanks!

pattyboy 01-26-2011 07:20 PM

Re: Overland with and w/o Offroad Adventure Package II

20 rims and tires standard on overland ..... Off road std 18's....... WELCOME ABOARD

Marky 01-26-2011 07:42 PM

Don't forget the skid plates...I think those are not included in a standard overland.

NetJunkie 01-26-2011 07:47 PM

Tow hooks?

Technosavant 01-26-2011 08:17 PM

The ORAII package on an Overland means:
Front tow hooks
Skid plates
Downsized the 20" rims to 18" rims
Trail Rated badge

All of those things can be added later, but at a much higher price than the $250 charged for the option package.

AndyM 01-27-2011 01:58 AM

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input. I don't think I can pass on the Trail Rated badges. . . .

Seriously, though, it sounds like the rims are the biggest issue. Probably worth waiting to find one with the package.

dwaleke 01-27-2011 06:02 AM

It will be A LOT more expensive to add the 20" wheels later than to add skid plates and tow hooks. Get it without and add the cheap stuff.

Parts can be purchased for less than $600 shipped. Install would be extra.

Unless you do not want the 20" wheels. I believe someone said those go for $500 a rim to purchase (if you can even purchase them yet). And a lot of people want the 20" wheels so you can easily swap and get extra cash in the process.

AndyM 01-27-2011 12:27 PM

Good idea! What are the pros and cons of the 18" vs. 20" wheels? I suppose more sidewall is better for offroad and the lower profile tire is better on the road. Anything else?

Technosavant 01-27-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyM (Post 342873)
Good idea! What are the pros and cons of the 18" vs. 20" wheels? I suppose more sidewall is better for offroad and the lower profile tire is better on the road. Anything else?

Pretty much. I don't know if the lower profile sidewall matters in practice- the Grand Cherokee is a heavy vehicle with a high center of gravity, and you aren't going to notice the loss of the sharpness in a turn. The Goodyear Fortera HL that's on the 20" rims seems to be a better tire than the Michelin that gets shipped on the 18" rims, so that can potentially matter. But beyond the tire itself and the looks of the rim, I really don't expect any noticeable felt difference.

I added the tow hooks and skid plates later- the plates I had done at the dealer (charged me $200 labor), the hooks I did myself. While I prefer the looks of the 20" rims to the 18" rims in the ORAII package, if you're thinking you might want those goodies on your vehicle, I'd say just to get ORAII and be done with it.

Nbtstatic 01-27-2011 01:56 PM

Fyi - I ordered the hooks yesterday. They're right around $150 shipped, and don't look too hard to install yourself.

NB

Technosavant 01-27-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nbtstatic (Post 342955)
Fyi - I ordered the hooks yesterday. They're right around $150 shipped, and don't look too hard to install yourself.

NB

Nope, easy enough.

Jpjr 01-27-2011 05:36 PM

One other thing to consider - which was big for me - is that you can't get 20" polished rims on anything but the Summit. So I downgraded to the 18" wheels and picked up the trail rating. by the way the 18s were standard on overlands on the previous model and look great...