Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   New to the snow (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/new-to-the-snow-18025.html)

Garbism 01-27-2011 01:19 PM

New to the snow

1 Attachment(s)
I moved to the the East Coast, NYC/NJ area, a few months back from Northern Cal and have never seen so much snow in my life!

First thing i did was trade in my 09 Accord for a 2011 JGC Limited w/ 4x4 and HEMI! Love the ride and style of it and it has helped me get through some tough, snow filled streets already.

Last night I drove home from work in a crazy snow storm. I really had no business driving, nor did anyone else on the road, but I wanted to get home and hey...I HAVE A JEEP!

I was driving carefully but still making my way around the others on the highway. I was very happy with the performance BUT......and it is a big BUT, my front defroster was not working....basically stopped working about halfway home. WTF??? Between the dark, snow and max 10 feet visibility, not having a working defroster made for an interesting ride.

Has anyone else had an issue or can offer a suggestion?

Also curious on drive between Auto and Snow as i could not tell a real difference. During the drive my tire pressure monitor came on showing between 33 and 32 PSI for the tires...maybe due to the cold?

Any thoughts?

violant00 01-27-2011 01:25 PM

Re: New to the snow

Nice choice in a ride nyc is really getting hit with this snow :/

JoeSchmoe007 01-27-2011 01:25 PM

Can you elaborate how front defroster stopped working? The air stopped blowing from the vents under the windshield? Are you sure your defroster was on (it is not in "Auto" mode)

Garbism 01-27-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 342927)
Can you elaborate how front defroster stopped working? The air stopped blowing from the vents under the windshield? Are you sure your defroster was on (it is not in "Auto" mode)

Was blowing but not working. Was on for sure. Tried different temps and the a/c.
Went from great to only working on the passenger side to nothing!

Breitling65 01-27-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbism (Post 342921)
I moved to the the East Coast, NYC/NJ area, a few months back from Northern Cal and have never seen so much snow in my life!

First thing i did was trade in my 09 Accord for a 2011 JGC Limited w/ 4x4 and HEMI! Love the ride and style of it and it has helped me get through some tough, snow filled streets already.

Last night I drove home from work in a crazy snow storm. I really had no business driving, nor did anyone else on the road, but I wanted to get home and hey...I HAVE A JEEP!

I was driving carefully but still making my way around the others on the highway. I was very happy with the performance BUT......and it is a big BUT, my front defroster was not working....basically stopped working about halfway home. WTF??? Between the dark, snow and max 10 feet visibility, not having a working defroster made for an interesting ride.

Has anyone else had an issue or can offer a suggestion?

Also curious on drive between Auto and Snow as i could not tell a real difference. During the drive my tire pressure monitor came on showing between 33 and 32 PSI for the tires...maybe due to the cold?

Any thoughts?

Yes it was horrible yesterday :) considering resent blizzard and 3-4 light snowfalls after. I would suggest getting good winter tires, just JGC is not enough to deal with this weather.

xmonger 01-27-2011 01:55 PM

One possible cause is the air inlets were covered with snow/ice and not allowing fresh air to be drawn into the HVAC system.

Garbism 01-27-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmonger (Post 342952)
One possible cause is the air inlets were covered with snow/ice and not allowing fresh air to be drawn into the HVAC system.

Appreciate the reply as that sounds very valid. Any idea where those are so I can explore deeper?

Archer9 01-27-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmonger (Post 342952)

It would take quite a bit to block the inlets, but if they were blocked I wonder if switching it to recycle would help. Since it's now the day after I guess the question now is: Is it working ok today? If yes, then that would seem to confim xmonger's diagnosis. If it's still kaput I would get it checked out asap because the problem will be somewhere in the HVAC control system.

Btw...I would have to look, but I think one side of the inlet should be shielded by the hood and not be too susceptible to getting restricted.

Technosavant 01-27-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbism (Post 342960)
Appreciate the reply as that sounds very valid. Any idea where those are so I can explore deeper?

Usually those are on the cowling between the base of the windshield and the hood. May even be under the base of the hood.

WK2OverlandII 02-02-2011 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=Archer9;342969]It would take quite a bit to block the inlets, but if they were blocked I wonder if switching it to recycle would help. Since it's now the day after I guess the question now is: Is it working ok today? If yes, then that would seem to confim xmonger's diagnosis. If it's still kaput I would get it checked out asap because the problem will be somewhere in the HVAC control system.

The front defroster will not work on the recirculation mode…..the light will flash on the recirculation button and then go back to fresh air only…..I wish it would as it seems to push more air in this mode. I would say more than likely the inlets were blocked…IMHO.

pbalias 02-02-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbism (Post 342921)
...my front defroster was not working....basically stopped working about halfway home. WTF??? Between the dark, snow and max 10 feet visibility, not having a working defroster made for an interesting ride...

Hey man...welcome to the boards. I'm with you, moved up here from SE Texas. Never seen snow in my life, not to mention this much of it. I traded my 2WD Trailblazer for the '11 JGC Limited and love it.

HOWEVER...I have the same issue as you. In fact, my defrost works fine until I put the truck in gear and start driving. Then, the defrost vents dont blow as hard and the blower speed is all kinds of crazy, fluctuating at its own desire. When it does this, the defrost goes to shit. :mad: Some people are complaining blower speed is directly related to engine speed too.

There's been quite some discussion about this phenomenon both here: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/blower-fan-intermittent-speeds-17879.html and on jeepforum . com, WK2 sub forum.

Last weekend I took the truck to the dealer and they confirmed what I thought, they have no fix for it.

I'm not really sure WHAT's going on but it seems A LOT of people are having the issue.

One thing that did help me though, when the defrost is on, make sure the A/C button is on. The A/C compressor dries the air, and it's DRY air not necessarily WARM air that defrosts windows.

This issue HAS to get addressed. It doesn't make logical sense for the HVAC system to intentionally work this way. I don't think the problem is a hard part failure...I have a feeling it's software based. I think tomorrow I'm going to attempt to get the attention of someone at Chrysler corporate.

Garbism 02-05-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbalias (Post 347166)
Hey man...welcome to the boards. I'm with you, moved up here from SE Texas. Never seen snow in my life, not to mention this much of it. I traded my 2WD Trailblazer for the '11 JGC Limited and love it.

HOWEVER...I have the same issue as you. In fact, my defrost works fine until I put the truck in gear and start driving. Then, the defrost vents dont blow as hard and the blower speed is all kinds of crazy, fluctuating at its own desire. When it does this, the defrost goes to shit. :mad: Some people are complaining blower speed is directly related to engine speed too.

There's been quite some discussion about this phenomenon both here: http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=17879 and on jeepforum . com, WK2 sub forum.

Last weekend I took the truck to the dealer and they confirmed what I thought, they have no fix for it.

I'm not really sure WHAT's going on but it seems A LOT of people are having the issue.

One thing that did help me though, when the defrost is on, make sure the A/C button is on. The A/C compressor dries the air, and it's DRY air not necessarily WARM air that defrosts windows.

This issue HAS to get addressed. It doesn't make logical sense for the HVAC system to intentionally work this way. I don't think the problem is a hard part failure...I have a feeling it's software based. I think tomorrow I'm going to attempt to get the attention of someone at Chrysler corporate.

Any luck?