Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Driver Side Mirror Reflection Seems Distorted (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/driver-side-mirror-reflection-seems-distorted-18050.html)

litespeedz 01-27-2011 10:14 PM

Driver Side Mirror Reflection Seems Distorted

I have been meaning to ask about this on the forum. The reflection in my driver side exterior mirror seems to be distorted. The best way to explain it is that it looks like a hologram effect. I see double of all the details. Double headlights, grills on the hoods of cars behind me, any object in the mirror. The passenger side mirror and rear view mirror are both crystal clear. This issue occurs both day or night. I have cleaned the mirrors, cleaned the side window, and looked at the side mirror with the window down.

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

I am just wondering if I should bring it back to the dealer to have it looked at?

computerwiz621 01-27-2011 10:18 PM

Re: Driver Side Mirror Reflection Seems Distorted

Wow, seems very strange to me. Maybe something is wrong with the auto dimming function in it. During the day or at night, everything looks normal for me. There is no hologram effect at all. So if a person was in view of that mirror, you would see them twice?

JoeSchmoe007 01-27-2011 10:21 PM

I think you need to have mirror glass replaced. Bring it back to the dealer.

Hogs 01-27-2011 10:24 PM

Mine is normal, though seeing the reflection of the brushed aluminum ac vent in it took some getting used to.

rybocf 01-27-2011 10:26 PM

Definitely not normal, my mirrors do not produce that effect.

Scottina06 01-27-2011 10:38 PM

def. not normal

litespeedz 01-27-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computerwiz621 (Post 343314)
Wow, seems very strange to me. Maybe something is wrong with the auto dimming function in it. During the day or at night, everything looks normal for me. There is no hologram effect at all. So if a person was in view of that mirror, you would see them twice?

It's hard for me to really articulate this and as I sit here and write it a little part of me says, "Wow! You sound like a crazy person." But if it's daytime or nighttime, and someone has their headlights on I see two sets of headlights, one set is just slightly below and to my left of the "actual" set. It makes it hard to tell what type of car is behind me (say if it were a cop). I don't know that I would see two people persay. I might see more than two eyes or other details of the person would be in two places. It seems to be a details thing. It is really weird. If I think of it, I'll try to snap a photo of it tomorrow. I don't think it is the reflection of the metal trim from inside. If you block the reflections with your hand I think it still looks weird. I'll double check this tomorrow. But when the window is down there is no reflection from the interior so I think I dismissed that. If both mirrors were like that I would have shrugged it off and been annoyed by a weird design. But the passenger side mirror is very sharp so I had to question this.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am thinking something is wrong with the mirror too. I guess I'll call the dealer. I really don't want to have to bring it back in though. Ugh... four times in two months. I'm starting to feel like Norm up there....

At least the car drives great! :D

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-28-2011 01:56 AM

sounds like you need new mirror glass

pbalias 02-02-2011 04:33 PM

The auto dimming (electrochromic) mirrors have a gel in them that darkens when electric current is applied to it. This gel is sandwiched between 2 layers of glass. If there's some sort of inconsistency of the gel, or a leak, or a problem with the alignment of the 2 layers, I'm sure you'll have some sort of distortion. That mirror needs to be replaced.

Pdiddle 05-14-2013 04:08 PM

Most of these posts are from a number of years ago. I just picked up my new 2014 GC Limited and immediately noticed the disturbing distortion in the outside mirrors. I would have hoped that Jeep had corrected this problem since the first 2010 post here, but, apparently not.

Did anyone who posted above ever get their mirrors repaired or replaced? How did they turn out? I'd like to know that before I let the dealer start taking things apart if an obvious and effective fix is not known to them. Thanks.