Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Oil change question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/oil-change-question-18064.html)

JeepCoop 01-28-2011 01:46 PM

Oil change question

Goin to make the switch to RP. How many quarts do i need to get? 10w-20 right?!

JeepCoop 01-28-2011 01:48 PM

Lol supposed to say 20W-50 also which k&n oil filter is it? Thx beeches

JeepCoop 01-28-2011 02:17 PM

Nm google had my answer. Happy Friday peeps

dmsfun 01-30-2011 10:02 PM

Re: Oil change question

You need 7 quarts of 5w20. I would recommend against RP for the 5.7 as I used it the last 2 oil changes, and just switched to Valvoline synth. The MDS doesnt work as smooth with RP verus Valvoline, as it seems RP is more viscous than they rating they claim, so you hear and feel it more every time it kicks on and off, while I barely notice it with Valvoline

JeepCoop 01-31-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 344836)
You need 7 quarts of 5w20. I would recommend against RP for the 5.7 as I used it the last 2 oil changes, and just switched to Valvoline synth. The MDS doesnt work as smooth with RP verus Valvoline, as it seems RP is more viscous than they rating they claim, so you hear and feel it more every time it kicks on and off, while I barely notice it with Valvoline

Hmmmm good to know. I guess I'll wait n see thx

JeepCoop 02-03-2011 04:22 PM

Not feelin the royal purple at all. My jeep doesn't like it. Hemi tick is more noticeable and now I can feel when the mds turns on and off. First thing tomorrow I'm changing back. Any suggestions on what I should use?

Crashtown 02-03-2011 06:06 PM

I do the Castrol Full Synthetic 5W-20. I've always run the Castrol Full Synthetic, even in my TJ. Plus, the 5 qt. jugs are on special at Wally World right now for $21! I always buy the 5 qt. quantities because the single qt. bottles are almost $6 each, and I just measure the other 2 qt's out.

jeepgcoman 02-03-2011 06:15 PM

My 06 5.7 takes exactly 7.5 qts. to refill w/Mobil 1 filter, and I am just trying Mobil 1 0-20 to see how it works. I normally run Mobil 1 5-20.

JeepCoop 02-03-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashtown (Post 347782)
I do the Castrol Full Synthetic 5W-20. I've always run the Castrol Full Synthetic, even in my TJ. Plus, the 5 qt. jugs are on special at Wally World right now for $21! I always buy the 5 qt. quantities because the single qt. bottles are almost $6 each, and I just measure the other 2 qt's out.

Yea the $8.99 RP price is out of control!! So the Castrol has been good to ya??
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 347790)
My 06 5.7 takes exactly 7.5 qts. to refill w/Mobil 1 filter, and I am just trying Mobil 1 0-20 to see how it works. I normally run Mobil 1 5-20.

Yea I like Mobile 1 normally too, prolly going back!!

Do you notice a diff in your tires having nitrogen in them? I was thinkin about doin it too...

Crashtown 02-03-2011 06:30 PM

One synthetic probably as good as the next. No problems to date. I'm just a sucker for Casrtol marketing I suppose. I'm thinking about running their ATF-4 for T-case & transmission when the time comes, if I do it myself.

JeepCoop 02-03-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashtown (Post 347804)
One synthetic probably as good as the next. No problems to date. I'm just a sucker for Casrtol marketing I suppose. I'm thinking about running their ATF-4 for T-case & transmission when the time comes, if I do it myself.

lol gotta love marketing! I think RP is for more high performance and higher running temp engines. That plus the $8.99 a quart is making me go back to Mobile 1 or maybe even Castrol

jeepgcoman 02-03-2011 06:53 PM

Greg, yes, but not as much as if it had 100% nitrogen in them. In the winter I am still getting a 4-6 lb. increase in pressure from cold tire to hot. If there was a way to evacuate all the "regular" air it would be slightly better. Only cost me $20 for lifetime refills, so I figured I'd give it a try. From, getnitrogen.org:
"
Nitrogen in tires is becoming a popular replacement for standard air. Nitrogen is all around us... the air we breathe is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and the rest is small amounts of other gasses. When it comes to tire inflation, nitrogen has many advantages over oxygen. With nitrogen tire inflation, improvements can be noted in a vehicle's handling, fuel efficiency and tire life through better tire pressure retention, improved fuel economy and cooler running tire temperatures. Here at the Get Nitrogen Institute our goal is to provide consumers, over-the-road truckers, fleet managers and others information about the benefits of using nitrogen in tires."

Bottom line is personal preference. Some call BS, others (like me) think it' OK, and others swear by it.