Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Heated Seats Shut Off After 15 Minutes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/heated-seats-shut-off-after-15-minutes-18072.html)

pdo1969 01-28-2011 09:19 PM

Heated Seats Shut Off After 15 Minutes

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I have had the vehicle for six weeks and started having a problem with the heated seats two days ago. I turned on the driver side heated seat. The heat stays on for about 15 minutes, then shuts off. If I try to turn it on again, the heated seat light stays on for about 1 second, then turns off. If I turn the engine off, then start it up again, the heated seats work again (for 15 minutes). What could be causing this problem?

rdalcanto 01-28-2011 09:59 PM

Re: Heated Seats Shut Off After 15 Minutes

My ass is on fire after two minutes and I have to turn them off. They are probably designed to turn off after 15 minutes. Are you still cold after that long?

pdo1969 01-28-2011 10:11 PM

According to the manual, the first four minutes provide a boosted heat output. They are designed to stay on high for 45 minutes, then switch to the low setting for 55 minutes before shutting off. That is how they were working until recently.

Technosavant 01-29-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 343806)
My ass is on fire after two minutes

http://hemorrhoidcares.com/wp-conten...positories.jpg

Seriously, though, mine seem to follow the "high for 45, low for 55, then off" series. They also don't get quite THAT hot- I don't know if it's a side effect of also being ventilated or what, but they just don't seem to be as powerful as the ones that were in my Patriot or are in my wife's Acura. Better than a cold seat, but sometimes it's hard to tell if they're on.

CaptPat 01-30-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 344276)
http://hemorrhoidcares.com/wp-conten...positories.jpg

Seriously, though, mine seem to follow the "high for 45, low for 55, then off" series. They also don't get quite THAT hot- I don't know if it's a side effect of also being ventilated or what, but they just don't seem to be as powerful as the ones that were in my Patriot or are in my wife's Acura. Better than a cold seat, but sometimes it's hard to tell if they're on.

Exactly--I often can't tell if they are heating or not, though the light stay on and fuses are good. :confused:

pdo1969 01-30-2011 11:27 AM

I agree, they do not get that hot compared to other vehicles I have been in with heated seats and it is sometimes hard to tell if they are even on. It is probably just a faulty sensor rather than a fuse since shutting off the vehicle and turning it back on allows the seats to stay on for another 15 minutes. I'll take it to the dealer and have their service people fix it. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had this problem. Other than the seats, I haven't had any problems with the vehicle.

NetJunkie 01-30-2011 01:17 PM

Yeah, I'd have yours checked. The heated seats in my GC are hotter than those in our Commander or the Lexus IS350 I traded in on the GC. They work VERY well and get hot faster than any other I've used.

jmellon 01-30-2011 02:25 PM

Yeah, I've noticed that the seats in my WK2 don't seem to get as hot as the ones in my 06 WK did.

Jmad76 03-02-2011 01:26 AM

I am having the same issue with my driver seat. I get about 10 minutes and then it shuts off.

pdo1969 10-16-2011 12:10 PM

I have not gotten it fixed yet. I have not really needed heat during the summer. When I took it in initially, they could not replicate the problem. I'm not sure how they could not see the problem since it happens consistently. They tried doing a software update, but that did nothing. I took it back the next day when it happened to show them, so they now know the problem is real. The want me to leave it in the shop for a couple of days so they can try and figure it out.

My thoughts are it is a sensor or sensors in the driver's seat. The passenger seat and rear seats work fine. Turning the vehicle off then on again resets something so it works for another 10 minutes.

The next time I bring it in for service, I am going to ask them to replace the sensor. How many sensors are there related to the heated seat only on the front driver's side seat? Instead of wasting time and effort, just replace it. If it doesn't work, it eliminates one possibility. If it works, then everyone is happy.

If I hear anything on how this can be fixed, I'll let you know. If you hear anything, I would appreciate it if you could let me know if you get the chance.

Ratchet 10-17-2011 07:37 AM

Mine get "warm" within the specified 4-5 min time, but after that, the heat is almost non existent. I can confirm that mine stay on high for appx 45 min and then will automatically switch to low. If I cycle the switch and return them to high, they go through the warm up cycle once again but the heat dicipates quickly.

If they are actually reaching the specified temperature, it honestly it a poor excuse for a heated seat. My previous 04 WJ would give you an instant assfire to the point it would iron your clothes.

Deserthucker 10-17-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratchet (Post 499813)
My previous 04 WJ would give you an instant assfire to the point it would iron your clothes.

And set fire to your jeep:(

Remember all the seat heater recalls!

Maybe they are being more conservative.