Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   oil change indicator (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/oil-change-indicator-18086.html)

Johnny Canuck 01-29-2011 07:35 AM

oil change indicator

I understand there is an oil change indicator light on the 2011 GC / 5.7l.
How does one reset it after the oil change - I have a push button start GC?

Thanks in advance.
Johnny Canuck

pwguy 01-29-2011 07:57 AM

Re: oil change indicator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck (Post 343920)
I understand there is an oil change indicator light on the 2011 GC / 5.7l.
How does one reset it after the oil change - I have a push button start GC?

Thanks in advance.
Johnny Canuck

Oil Change Indicator Message
• If an “oil change” message (shown as Oil Change Required) appears and a single chime sounds, it is time for your next required oil change.
Resetting The Light After Servicing
• Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position (do not start engine). • Fully depress the accelerator pedal three times within 10 seconds. • Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

From the manual

Johnny Canuck 01-29-2011 08:17 AM

Thanks, PWGUY.

Rosewood 01-30-2011 09:20 PM

what happens if you reset it without changing the oil. not that i would do that, but it would be nice to know it it is testing the oil or just working off of mileage

Technosavant 02-01-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosewood (Post 344792)
what happens if you reset it without changing the oil. not that i would do that, but it would be nice to know it it is testing the oil or just working off of mileage

It's working off of mileage and how the vehicle has been driven. It isn't a pure mileage counter; it notices how far you drive it each time and the manner of your driving, then selects a maintenance schedule to use, reminding you as you come up on the appropriate mileage.

If you reset it without doing an oil change, it will assume you have done so. There have been extremely few vehicles that use sensors to check the oil itself in order to trigger the reminder- it's a much more expensive way to do it and you aren't really talking a huge difference in the final result anyway.

Rosewood 02-02-2011 09:02 PM

thanks good info

lcellis1973 10-16-2013 02:28 PM

I have done the recommended procedure to clear the oil change indicator light, and it still will not clear. Please advise. I have turned the key to the "ON" position without turning on the engine, and have pressed the brake down 3 times, slowly, within 10 seconds. I then turn the key to off. I have done this process several times and the message will not clear. I have done this in the past for other oil changes with no problem, so I don't understand to why it is not working this time. Please advise. Thanks.

Northland 10-16-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcellis1973 (Post 911800)
I have turned the key to the "ON" position without turning on the engine, and have pressed the brake down 3 times, slowly, within 10 seconds. I then turn the key to off. I have done this process several times and the message will not clear. I have done this in the past for other oil changes with no problem, so I don't understand to why it is not working this time. Please advise. Thanks.

Press the accelerator pedal three times- not the brake.