Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Yakima FatCat 6 ski/board carrier (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/yakima-fatcat-6-ski-board-carrier-18169.html)

Cperez 01-30-2011 05:00 PM

Yakima FatCat 6 ski/board carrier

5 Attachment(s)
I installed the Yakima FatCat 6 ski carrier this afternoon and the end product is very nice. Thanks to chibianh for his recommendation of the FatCat and for answering a few questions for me prior to/during the install.

The unit was purchased at a local REI store for MSRP of $209. I have seen them online for about $188 but this was a bird-in-the-hand buying decision.

The system is a bit of an upgrade over the 4-pair units from Thule and Yakima. It's got a satisfyingly beefy feel and a solid biting sound when the latch chomps down on your gear in its rubbery embrace. The FatCat 6 has a nice expanding hinge feature that allows you to double up boards. It's also got a "SkiLift" feature that lifts the hinged end a few inches to provide extra clearance for larger bindings. I was fortunate to not need this for our gear. While it is a practical solution, I didn't like the thought of a cockeyed carrier system on my roof.

I have the Mopar towers and crossbars, and the FC6's mounting brackets work well on oval, round, or square bars. They also offer a good deal of security. Once installed and locked, access to the screw heads on the universal mounts is blocked. They also provide decent blockage or at least prevent easy access to the screws that mount the Mopar crossbars (even if a thief cuts away the rubber stripping). This blockage is enhanced if you mount them close to one of the Mopar towers, of course.

I did a quick road test after installation, and wind noise was unremarkable. Not enough even to require a fairing IMO (I am not concerned with any negligible effect on fuel economy. The FC6 has an aero-shape and that's good enough for me. Hopefully none of my neighbors in crunchy Bethesda, MD, will expect me to buy carbon credits).

Need to get used to dropping into Park ride height when I've got a snowboard loaded on the FC6. As you can see from the photos, without any gear the system is a bit lower than the shortie antenna. The bindings on my son's board exceed the antenna height by a bit so getting in and out of the garage will be tight but doable.

FYI I briefly considered a hitch mount solution but didn't want the hassle of liftgate blockage. Also wasn't crazy about road slop all over the gear (still a concern with rooftop transport but less so). Looking forward to putting the system to work soon.

DGoral31 01-30-2011 05:08 PM

Re: Yakima FatCat 6 ski/board carrier

i've had that same exact set up on my Jeep for almost a year now... love them!

chibianh 01-30-2011 07:06 PM

love my fatcats! hopefully, you will like yours. :)

moosehead 01-30-2011 11:17 PM

Looks solid CP. Hope you keep getting the white stuff.

I've got similar Yak ski version and am considering going back to the older C-clips to get the racks a bit lower and tighter to the cross bars.

scittb 01-30-2011 11:54 PM

I know this may sound stupid and i'm sure you tried already but you never know.... Have you tried mounting the boards binding side down? From the pics it looks to be enough room with the bindings collapsed.

DGoral31 01-31-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scittb (Post 344895)
I know this may sound stupid and i'm sure you tried already but you never know.... Have you tried mounting the boards binding side down? From the pics it looks to be enough room with the bindings collapsed.

lol horrible idea... when you fit 4 boards on there, two go bindings down and two go bindings up. I HATE putting bindings down because the bindings rub against the roof... they fit, but def not worth scratching your beautiful Jeep :thumbsup:

Oh and CP - fyi, i keep mine on year round, they are a bitch to put on and off... they arrow dynamics of these things are great so i just leave them on through the summer months

Cperez 01-31-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 344880)
I've got similar Yak ski version and am considering going back to the older C-clips to get the racks a bit lower and tighter to the cross bars.

Yeah, I admired your RA setup, too, Moose. I'm hoping to get at least a handful of uses out of this gear before the spring; kinda late to the game.

A bunch of hot 8th grade moms from my son's class are chaperoning a class overnight ski trip to Blue Knob in PA. I may tag along just to represent the dads. :lol:

Cperez 01-31-2011 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by scittb (Post 344895)

scittb, I did try that as my initial play because I also wanted optimal aero performance (tips down in front). My problem was that even when fully collapsed, one small point of the plastic binding was pressing against the pano glass. It would probably never cause a problem, but I had a vision of an etched or scratched spot there and didn't want to risk it. I also thought of bungee-ing the collapsed binding to compress it even further. That's a possibility, albeit a quasi-ghetto approach.

As an aside, the snowboard was a gift from my brother (the MillerCoors guy). As we were in his garage loading up the WK2 with beer during our last visit, my son spotted this custom board which my brother had ordered from Burton as a giveaway. "Here, it's yours." Pretty tasty.

tkln 01-31-2011 09:26 AM

Looks great...thanks for sharing the pics....I think I'm going to wait til the end of season sales kick in to get mine but I'm liking the fatcat!

moosehead 01-31-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 344948)
A bunch of hot 8th grade moms from my son's class are chaperoning a class overnight ski trip to Blue Knob in PA. I may tag along just to represent the dads. :lol:

^There's all sorts of good material in here, but I ain't touchin' it.

You're a good man, takin' one for the team and all.

Here's hoping you get some fresh at Blue Knob.

Cperez 01-31-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 345014)
^There's all sorts of good material in here, but I ain't touchin' it.

You're a good man, takin' one for the team and all.

Here's hoping you get some fresh at Blue Knob.

I knew that was a big fat slow pitch when I posted it. I admire the restraint.

Reminds me of a lyric I just heard: "There's only one carrot and they all gotta share it" :D:slapfight:

Cobeez 09-16-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 344618)
I installed the Yakima FatCat 6 ski carrier this afternoon and the end product is very nice. Thanks to chibianh for his recommendation of the FatCat and for answering a few questions for me prior to/during the install.

The unit was purchased at a local REI store for MSRP of $209. I have seen them online for about $188 but this was a bird-in-the-hand buying decision.

The system is a bit of an upgrade over the 4-pair units from Thule and Yakima. It's got a satisfyingly beefy feel and a solid biting sound when the latch chomps down on your gear in its rubbery embrace. The FatCat 6 has a nice expanding hinge feature that allows you to double up boards. It's also got a "SkiLift" feature that lifts the hinged end a few inches to provide extra clearance for larger bindings. I was fortunate to not need this for our gear. While it is a practical solution, I didn't like the thought of a cockeyed carrier system on my roof.

I have the Mopar towers and crossbars, and the FC6's mounting brackets work well on oval, round, or square bars. They also offer a good deal of security. Once installed and locked, access to the screw heads on the universal mounts is blocked. They also provide decent blockage or at least prevent easy access to the screws that mount the Mopar crossbars (even if a thief cuts away the rubber stripping). This blockage is enhanced if you mount them close to one of the Mopar towers, of course.

I did a quick road test after installation, and wind noise was unremarkable. Not enough even to require a fairing IMO (I am not concerned with any negligible effect on fuel economy. The FC6 has an aero-shape and that's good enough for me. Hopefully none of my neighbors in crunchy Bethesda, MD, will expect me to buy carbon credits).

Need to get used to dropping into Park ride height when I've got a snowboard loaded on the FC6. As you can see from the photos, without any gear the system is a bit lower than the shortie antenna. The bindings on my son's board exceed the antenna height by a bit so getting in and out of the garage will be tight but doable.

FYI I briefly considered a hitch mount solution but didn't want the hassle of liftgate blockage. Also wasn't crazy about road slop all over the gear (still a concern with rooftop transport but less so). Looking forward to putting the system to work soon.

I like the fatcat 6 setup you have. Is there anyway that you can post a picture from straight on in front of the Jeep so I can see how wide the fatcat really is? I'm thinking about going with the same rack but I'm it looks so huge in the box. Thanks.