Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Overland Seats (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/overland-seats-18206.html)

mrpositraction 01-31-2011 09:45 AM

Overland Seats

I sat in a new Durango and a Limited WK2 this past week and was mad that my seats in my overland were not as comfortable. Why are the Overland seats harder? Shouldn't the top of line seat be more soft/comfortable? (rhetorical question)

Is it because of the cooled seating option?

Do they make the more comfortable lesser optioned seats available with the cooling vents?

jeep2011 01-31-2011 10:08 AM

Re: Overland Seats

I would say if they are firmer it is because of the ventilation. Having a squishy seat wouldn't allow the air to flow through. Plus I would bet the seat would crack horribly with all those holes.

Nickoland 01-31-2011 10:22 AM

Common misconception is that lazy boy ish seats are better, when in fact firmer are the euro like classy seats. The old chrysler new yorker had "comfy" seats, doesnt make it better.

moosehead 01-31-2011 10:37 AM

+1 to Nickoland's comments. Love the firmer Euro, Recaro, Sports feel of the WK2. Admittedly, I may have a fatter arse than many.

mrpositraction 01-31-2011 10:39 AM

I don't care if they are classierr, not my complaint, I want softer more lazy boy seats, even with my fat arse :)

WK2OverlandII 01-31-2011 11:08 AM

The most comfortable seats (IMO) that were ever in a Grand Cherokee were in the '99 Limited's (my wife would agree as she is very picky when it comes to seats). They were very plush yet had support where it was needed however, the seat backs were so thick that some of the leg room in the back seat was very limited due to their thickness....just my two cents.

Jpjr 01-31-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WK2OverlandII (Post 345042)
The most comfortable seats (IMO) that were ever in a Grand Cherokee were in the '99 Limited's (my wife would agree as she is very picky when it comes to seats). They were very plush yet had support where it was needed however, the seat backs were so thick that some of the leg room in the back seat was very limited due to their thickness....just my two cents.

I can say this is true. But they were comfortable in the "New Yorker" style.

Top line seats have definitely become firmer all around. The seats in my '09 Caddy are way firmer than the Overland even. I am sure it has something to do with posture, durability, and looks, and in some cases function (e.g. ventilation and weight).

Libre 01-31-2011 11:15 AM

Seats "firmness" is a matter of opinion. Not everyone will have the same.

I personally like the firmer style since it allows me to feel the car better, but then again that is my opinion only.

I do believe Jeep use these seats so they last longer also.

mrpositraction 01-31-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

My 1st GC experience was in this model year, and that is what I am thinking of when I talk seats in these.

My F150 Raptor Seats were AMAZING and still very supportive. The best seats I ever had were in my 2010 FX4 SCrew, those were out of this world comfortable. My pregnant wife even liked them over long trips.

pharmade 01-31-2011 12:32 PM

We had a Honda Pilot with the firmer seats. I loved it but my wife hated them and it was HER vehicle. We traded the Pilot for a Yukon and it does feel like your sitting in a Lazy Boy. Still very comfortable. That's actually what prompted me to look at the WK2's (Overland) and get rid of my Infiniti G37S. I am looking for COMFORT!

Dunecrawler 01-31-2011 09:18 PM

My old ZJ had very soft, but comfortable seats. 2006 WK Overland was hard and very uncomfortable.
The new WK2 Overland is still a bit on the hard side, but much better shaped and therefore more comfortable.
My only complaint is that the side bolsters are too far apart. I would prefer them about an inch tighter. I removed the back panel and had a look if I can adjust it, but I might have to take it into an upholsterer.

Lingohocken 02-01-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Maybe these were similar to the optional "luxury leather" seats we've got on our 94 Limited. Wife LOVES them, as does my backside which hasn't plumped out over the years as have some other areas. Yet, they have been hugely comfortable on long trips for both of us, even though I'm a foot taller than my better half.

(This written while I'm sitting with my evening cigar by a fireplace . . . in a Lazy Boy type leather armchair.)