Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Burning Electrical Smell (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/burning-electrical-smell-18208.html)

Bosibus 01-31-2011 09:54 AM

Burning Electrical Smell

Last weekend, I took my Jeep up to through the mountains where it just recently snowed and salt was new on the road. I drove about 300 miles to the destination and did not smell anything.

After coming back from the ski resort the first day, there was a strong, burning smell coming through the vents and very potent when I stepped out of the car and it was most strong from under my hood. My ride was mainly hills with fresh snow/salt on the roads so you could consider I was riding it pretty hard.

The next day, same thing and the next day once again.

Driving back home to the suburbs and no hills, I do not get the smell in the car but when I open up the hood I can smell it faintly, but I had to open up the hood and really smell so it could have been there before. This was after a 300 mile drive at 70mph and another 15 minute drive going to the store and back when I got home.

Anyone ever had this issue or have an idea what it could be?

Bosibus 01-31-2011 10:00 AM

Re: Burning Electrical Smell

I should note that around 6,000 miles ago I had all maintenance which the dealer had asked me to get done for the 60k service done except spark plugs.

Driveline Service
Tranmission Service
Fuel Injection Service
New Tires
*maybe some other things, I really dont remember

I had a bad Shift module and a bad TCM which were replaced as well at around 50,000 miles. I am 56,300 now.

I have had a lot of issues with this car which is why once again I am worried this will lead to bigger problems.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-31-2011 01:05 PM

brakes

Bosibus 01-31-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 345129)
brakes

Reading around it looks like it could be a couple things? What would be wrong with the brakes, I just need to replace the pads?

JDM12 01-31-2011 04:44 PM

I ran over a plastic bag once and it got stuck/melted to the exhaust and smelled like burning plastic for a few days.

vman_86 01-31-2011 05:05 PM

it never hurts to pop your front wheels off and clean your brake pads/rotors, etc with a wire brush and some other gear...

take a wiff near your brakes next time and be 100% sure it isn't coming from front brakes and rising up through engine bay : )

Bosibus 02-01-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vman_86 (Post 345306)
it never hurts to pop your front wheels off and clean your brake pads/rotors, etc with a wire brush and some other gear...

take a wiff near your brakes next time and be 100% sure it isn't coming from front brakes and rising up through engine bay : )

Will do, thanks for the heads up!

jwojcins 04-06-2011 02:59 PM

I had noticed a similar smell a few weeks ago. It was definitely coming from the engine compartment (def not a brake smell), so I opened the hood to check it out. I noticed that my windshield washer fluid cap had popped open. I assumed that some fluid had sloshed out, gotten onto some hot surfaces and started to boil away causing the smell. I closed the cap and over the next few days the smell got less potent. I havnt noticed the smell again in about a week, so I'm guessing that was the issue.