Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Headers for my 5.7 Hemi (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/headers-for-my-5-7-hemi-18229.html)

jeepgcoman 01-31-2011 02:50 PM

Headers for my 5.7 Hemi

Dropped my Hemi 5.7 06 WK GCO off this morning at the local custom exhaust builder. He's going to try and make a jig so he can produce them as needed for those who might be interested. They'll be silver or black ceramic coated (mine will be black) stainless steel shorties that will bolt to the existing head pipes. I'll be popping in on him from time to time to check on the progress. If he can't easily do the boltup shorties he'll try to make them similar to the stock SRT exhaust headers. If he goes that way, head pipe mods. will be required.

jcostri09 01-31-2011 03:07 PM

Very interested. Keep us posted!!

Chaoul1 01-31-2011 03:12 PM

Re: Headers for my 5.7 Hemi

If this actually happens I'll be in.

jeepgcoman 02-09-2011 04:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well, the header guys have had my 5.7 WK for a week and a half now, and are a little more than 1/3 done. They have the easy (passenger) side pretty well set up, and tack welded, but still have to weld in the EGR tube and do a final check for fit. They had to extend the collector for needed clearance, so these will not be bolt on without headpipe mods. He said it's alot more work than he expected, and will probably not build anymore, as he has to piece everything together and then grind the welds before having them ceramic coated. If he had his own mandrel bender (~$500,000), he'd maybe do it, but would also need more help in the shop because of the time involved. Just at first glance I can sure tell that there will be a significant difference in exhaust effectiveness, just based on the side by side difference between the stock manifold and the header. The stock setup is obviously very restrictive, with each cylinder dumping into the path of the next until it exits to the headpipe. Check out the pix.

jcostri09 02-09-2011 11:17 PM

They look great, but thats a let down for sure. I was really hoping that this could be a decent sized production.

jeepgcoman 02-09-2011 11:37 PM

Well, all I can say is let's let him sit on it for awhile after he forgets about how hard it was the first time. I would be willing to bet that if there were enough interest, he could be motivated into building more. I am pretty sure he won't want to piece them together like he's having to do now though.

Robert Palmer 02-09-2011 11:42 PM

That dude is probably cursing you out to himself every day he's working on the car. LOL

jeepgcoman 02-16-2011 06:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got a call this morning saying that the headers were done and back from being ceramic coated. I helped them push the Jeep back into the shop so they could begin putting everything back together. They had to clean up a few of the port welds first, but said it should be ready tomorrow afternoon. Here's a few pix of the finished product. Can't wait to see how it performs. Got to be waaayyy better than the stock setup.

macmac 02-16-2011 07:18 PM

keep us posted...

nick.jeff 02-16-2011 09:38 PM

Yes, please do, this is very interesting. I know you mentioned the guy doing them would probably not be up for making other sets, but any chance you or he could spec them out with diagrams/dimensions for others to replicate? The guy that put my Gibson on is more or less notorious for custom exhaust work in my town and would probably be willing to try and make a set.

TVI01 02-17-2011 10:05 AM

Those are nice. Good looking collectors, too. Are you having them do a y-pipe for you also? Keep us posted, please. I'd be interested in a set if he decides to do them.

jcostri09 02-17-2011 12:51 PM

I agree. Some specs and dimensions would be great and save time for other custom fabricators and money for potential customers. I know and exhaust shop in little rock who would probably be willing to make some sets if he had basic specs to follow.