Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Power Lift Gate (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/power-lift-gate-18233.html)

dckcentuar 01-31-2011 04:27 PM

Power Lift Gate

I was wondering does anybody think it would be possible to add power lift gate to a 2011 limited jeep GC. I assume buying a motor and installing it and a new key fob . I assume the Wiring should be all ready to go what are your thoughts .

pbm317 01-31-2011 04:36 PM

Re: Power Lift Gate

I would assume it's pretty involved and not something that you can just add in after the fact

IndyBob 01-31-2011 06:15 PM

I doubt that it could be done without major work.

Given enough time and money most anything can be done.

JTS97Z28 01-31-2011 10:36 PM

What they said^^^ Also, never assume the wire harness for an option not on your Jeep will be there, because you will probably be very disappointed. Also, I dont know how that would work with all the programming since your keyless modules probably wouldnt be setup to operate a power lift gate. Stuff is more complicated in cars these days. Even if you buy everything you need such as the motor, new key fob etc etc. It still wont work because god only knows what computer systems and programming would be required for that to function. Keyless modules, body control modules, ECM...all that stuff needs to be programmed to control your options. Correct me if I am wrong guys.

James

PMD G8 01-31-2011 10:39 PM

The thing I hate about the power liftgate....is you can't deactivate it and open it manually. And the beeping alarm is too loud and annoying as crap.

TTUMBIO2010 01-31-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMD G8 (Post 345551)
The thing I hate about the power liftgate....is you can't deactivate it and open it manually.

Exactly!!! Seems pretty easy to allow both.

kmt16 01-31-2011 11:21 PM

I noticed how much larger the left support or arm that raises the trunk is than regular arms or even the right side. It's gotta be at least double the size of the right side.

JTS97Z28 01-31-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMD G8 (Post 345551)
The thing I hate about the power liftgate....is you can't deactivate it and open it manually. And the beeping alarm is too loud and annoying as crap.

My Overland has not been built yet and im still learning stuff about them. So you seriously cant just walk to the back of your Jeep and open the rear lift gate like a normal SUV? You literally have to use the power feature everytime? What if the Jeeps sitting in the garage and the liftgate would hit the garage door?? Do you just stop it by hand? now im all confused as im sure the engineers thought of that situation.

James

netcoolery 02-01-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 345588)
My Overland has not been built yet and im still learning stuff about them. So you seriously cant just walk to the back of your Jeep and open the rear lift gate like a normal SUV? You literally have to use the power feature everytime? What if the Jeeps sitting in the garage and the liftgate would hit the garage door?? Do you just stop it by hand? not im all confused as im sure the engineers thought of that situation.

James

James - Ditto that! My current 98 JGC's rear liftgate is manual of course, and I've grown tired of replacing the gas cylinders every 3-4 years. I was looking forward to the power feature because now it's not a "wear item" and it should stay under the Lifetime warranty I intend to get with my new Overland.

You ask some worrisome questions. Surely they must have some sort of manual override?

Frank TJ 02-01-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 345588)
My Overland has not been built yet and im still learning stuff about them. So you seriously cant just walk to the back of your Jeep and open the rear lift gate like a normal SUV? You literally have to use the power feature everytime? What if the Jeeps sitting in the garage and the liftgate would hit the garage door?? Do you just stop it by hand? now im all confused as im sure the engineers thought of that situation.

James

You don't have to use the power feature.

Jeeters 02-01-2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank TJ (Post 345612)
You don't have to use the power feature.

That's vague. Can you elaborate since the others say you do?

Greg7 02-01-2011 07:19 AM

I am happy my limited came without a power liftgate , I prefer to open the rear myself.