Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

New fiberglass SRT rear bumpers on ebay....hmmm

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Marlin 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Re: New fierglass SRT rear bumpers on ebay....hmmm

I would have went this way had it been available. It is definitely a less expensive way of getting the srt look.

#3 ·

yes....but who will be the guinea pig to see the quality, fitament etc.?

#6 ·

yes....but who will be the guinea pig to see the quality, fitament etc.?
Not me. Hopefully my next jeep will come with one installed from factory.:D

#7 ·

somebody buy it and sell me their (srt) oem one. i need a rear bumper. it is interresting but every fiberglass body kit i have seen has been cracked or paint chipping off of it
correct....you need a shop that has experience in prepping/painting fiberglass

#5 ·

maybe one of us new yorkers.....save some $$ on the shippin

#8 ·

yeah, there is usually ALWAYS fitment issues with fiberglass. The front lips I went through on my mazda were fiberglass and had to be shaved down in areas to make fitment flush on the front end. Also, I think on fiberglass you have to have some kinda flex additive in the paint? not sure on that one though..

#9 ·

any bumper/plastic/fiberglass part needs flex additive

#10 ·
The secret with fibreglass panels is they ABSOLUTELY must be trial fitted and any little modifications made prior to painting. You would also need to pre-drill the fitment holes and trial fit the fogs.
Do that, and if the quality of the mould is ok (relating to flat surface finish in particular), there will not be an issue.
It's worth noting that if you are REALLY fussy, considerable time will be needed to bring the smaller detail areas up to par of an original ABS bumper.
But, props to this company for spotting a niche in the market :)

#11 ·
^^

I agree. It's about time an aftermarket company made these bumpers.....

Now they just need to make front and sides and there will be a lot more clones cruisin' around!

#16 ·
Hence the need to trial fit.
This doesn't suit alot of guys who don't have the skills or contacts to get it done at a reasonable price.
Lots of guys want a pre-painted part that they can fit with basic hand tools.
This fibreglass replica doesn't suit those guys.

#18 ·
lol, mate, I'm not saying anything. :)
All I'm saying is, if someone wants a rear bumper with factory fit and colour match straight out of the box, then buy a genuine bumper.
If someone is prepared to save a bit by messing around with a replica 'glass one, and be prepared for it to slpit/crack if it ever gets touched, then roll with a replica :)

It just seems to me, in this day and age, most people want something to fit and match straight away. I personally am not one of those people. For instance, if I wanted the Mopar side skirts, I would order them unpainted so I could have them painted here to ensure an absolutely perfect colour match. But I wouldn't but a fibreglass rear SRT bumper, I'd have genuine if I wanted one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.