Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Shark Fin Antenna question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/shark-fin-antenna-question-18243.html)

Breitling65 01-31-2011 07:28 PM

Shark Fin Antenna question

Hi, I just paid for my antenna, great deal since saved some $. Could anyone please tell me how long it took for you to get it? Anyone from NJ/NY area already got it? Also I hope it would be no degradation in radio quality or maybe some improvement? :) I just went out for carwash and I could admit it is very annoying to detach stock antenna every time I wash my car.

Mashie 01-31-2011 07:47 PM

Re: Shark Fin Antenna question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breitling65 (Post 345419)
Hi, I just paid for my antenna, great deal since saved some $. Could anyone please tell me how long it took for you to get it? Anyone from NJ/NY area already got it? Also I hope it would be no degradation in radio quality or maybe some improvement? :) I just went out for carwash and I could admit it is very annoying to detach stock antenna every time I wash my car.

I am not in NY/NJ but in Colorado it took approximately 2 weeks from the day I ordered it to the day I received it. Maybe a few days short of 2 weeks.

So far for me I have experianced no degradation in sat, nav or radio quality.

pattyboy 01-31-2011 07:48 PM

Never had to remove , my stock one, just ordered from group buy..sorry to say been to the car wash a few times ,u know the winter we have been experiencing

Breitling65 01-31-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattyboy (Post 345434)
Never had to remove , my stock one, just ordered from group buy..sorry to say been to the car wash a few times ,u know the winter we have been experiencing

Car wash could brake it or not, I just don't like to put it in danger.

Stroked & Blown 02-01-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breitling65 (Post 345437)

Your paint is in more danger than your antenna in an automatic car wash.

mhassler 02-01-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breitling65 (Post 345437)

If you must go through a car wash (to get winter salt & sand off or whatever) I suggest using a touchless, laser system. Far less harmful to your paint and it shouldnt mess with your antenna. Aside form the curing process for new vehicle paint don't go through a full-contact car washes because no one knows what lurks in those soapy, foam strips. There could be rocks and twigs just waiting to scratch up your paint. At least the touchless is just hi-pressured water.

Breitling65 02-01-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhassler (Post 346193)
If you must go through a car wash (to get winter salt & sand off or whatever) I suggest using a touchless, laser system. Far less harmful to your paint and it shouldnt mess with your antenna. Aside form the curing process for new vehicle paint don't go through a full-contact car washes because no one knows what lurks in those soapy, foam strips. There could be rocks and twigs just waiting to scratch up your paint. At least the touchless is just hi-pressured water.

Sorry, but I have no problems with automatic car washers, I am using one I am trusted for years only. Besides I am leasing and that is reducing worry about long term paint conditions.

mhassler 02-01-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breitling65 (Post 346294)
Sorry, but I have no problems with automatic car washers, I am using one I am trusted for years only. Besides I am leasing and that is reducing worry about long term paint conditions.

Let meget this straight... you aren't worried about your paint but you are so concerned with the antenna that you remove it before a carwash? Well, whatever man.

To answer part of your original question, no one has posted anything about a reduction in qualty as a result of the Sharkfin. Just remember not to throw the OEM Antenna away if you are only leasing.

Breitling65 02-01-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhassler (Post 346307)
Let meget this straight... you aren't worried about your paint but you are so concerned with the antenna that you remove it before a carwash? Well, whatever man.

To answer part of your original question, no one has posted anything about a reduction in qualty as a result of the Sharkfin. Just remember not to throw the OEM Antenna away if you are only leasing.

Broken antenna could cost money to fix and no radio, extra microscopic scratches on paint doesn't make any difference on aerodynamics of this car :) I do wash my G37 myself and it is sleeping now in garage charged and covered.
Leasing only :) Unfortunately I don't like 36K/3 years warranty on this car to buy, can't compare to 60K/5 years on my Infiniti. Car is great, but you never know ....

mhassler 02-02-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breitling65 (Post 346407)
Broken antenna could cost money to fix and no radio, extra microscopic scratches on paint doesn't make any difference on aerodynamics of this car :) I do wash my G37 myself and it is sleeping now in garage charged and covered.
Leasing only :) Unfortunately I don't like 36K/3 years warranty on this car to buy, can't compare to 60K/5 years on my Infiniti. Car is great, but you never know ....

I have to agree that I am not a fan of the 36k/3yr warranty either. Well, at least you have a good reason to worry about the factory antenna over the paint.

I had a 2006 g35 coupe and it needed a new engine after 18,000-miles - oil problem. Had to fight tooth and nail to get Infiniti to pay for it. They did in the end. Then I sold it.

computerwiz621 02-02-2011 10:04 AM

Is it easy to install the shark fin? I might need to get one because the stock antenna cannot clear my garage.

mhassler 02-02-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computerwiz621 (Post 346578)
Is it easy to install the shark fin? I might need to get one because the stock antenna cannot clear my garage.

Another member posted a thread with pictures, http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...rk+fin+install.
Seems simple enough.