Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Took the front air dam off, and ACC sensor (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/took-the-front-air-dam-off-and-acc-sensor-18245.html)

rdalcanto 01-31-2011 08:55 PM

Took the front air dam off, and ACC sensor

I changed the oil today, and decided to see how hard it is to take the air dam off for when I take her down to Moab. There are seven fasteners you have to turn and remove. After that, I started pulling it forward starting from the wheel wells. It was surprisingly difficult. You really have to pull to snap the taps out. It is also heavier than you would think. I found the center most taps the hardest to get out, because the weight of the air dam start to rotate it, making it even harder to get the tabs out. I rotated it back like it was still on at the wheel wells, and that made it easier to fully remove. If you drove to a jeep trail, and then decided to take it off, I don't know where you would put it. Hide it in the bushes maybe?

With the air dam off, I took a good look at the ACC sensor. There is a plastic trim around it which easily snaps off. After that, you have a metal box, and the plastic/dome piece on the front. I didn't pop the dome off, but it looks like it is easy to remove and replace if it becomes damaged from road debris/rocks (anyone know the part number and price for the plastic dome?). For off roading, you take the entire bracket with sensor off the front with just two bolts after unplugging the wires/harness on the bottom. Shouldn't add more than one or two minutes to the process.

moosehead 01-31-2011 09:19 PM

Re: Took the front air dam off, and ACC sensor

+1 it would be a lot nicer if that damn came off easier for OR, or if it were a bit better of a design so it didn't look so crappy without it. If you're driving to Moab, feels like the best bet is to take it off and leave it in your garage before departing, no?

I too started thinking about summer though we're still in the middle of ski season.

Cperez 01-31-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 345464)
For off roading, you take the entire bracket with sensor off the front with just two bolts after unplugging the wires/harness on the bottom. Shouldn't add more than one or two minutes to the process.

Huh, remove the ACC sensor?? What if you want to tailgate someone at speed on the Moab Rim Trail?? :lol:

bpmcgee 01-31-2011 11:22 PM

CPerez, laugh it up if you want, but when you're cruising up that trail at 60 MPH and someone cuts you off, you're going to be laughing out the other side of your foot! <shakes his head sagely> Kids these days!

IndyBob 02-01-2011 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 345464)
I changed the oil today, and decided to see how hard it is to take the air dam off for when I take her down to Moab. There are seven fasteners you have to turn and remove. After that, I started pulling it forward starting from the wheel wells. It was surprisingly difficult. You really have to pull to snap the taps out. It is also heavier than you would think. I found the center most taps the hardest to get out, because the weight of the air dam start to rotate it, making it even harder to get the tabs out. I rotated it back like it was still on at the wheel wells, and that made it easier to fully remove. If you drove to a jeep trail, and then decided to take it off, I don't know where you would put it. Hide it in the bushes maybe?

With the air dam off, I took a good look at the ACC sensor. There is a plastic trim around it which easily snaps off. After that, you have a metal box, and the plastic/dome piece on the front. I didn't pop the dome off, but it looks like it is easy to remove and replace if it becomes damaged from road debris/rocks (anyone know the part number and price for the plastic dome?). For off roading, you take the entire bracket with sensor off the front with just two bolts after unplugging the wires/harness on the bottom. Shouldn't add more than one or two minutes to the process.

Thanks Rdalcanto for the info. I plan on going out to Moab in June. Since I will be coming from Indianapolis I will remove it once I get to our place we stay. I think I will take it off here so I can see how it is done.

Must be great to be 4 hours from Moab instead of 2 days like me. I have had my YJ out there many times and there's nothing like it.

Go-By-Air 02-23-2012 04:35 PM

This is an old post but I thought I'd add a tip. I removed my air dam to go off road and it was not the easiest thing getting the top unclipped from the bumper. Before I put the air dam back on, I put a LITTLE bit of petroleum gel (Vaseline will work too) on each of the 12 tabs on the top of the air dam and they popped back in without a problem ... should also help next time it has to be removed.

seanster 02-23-2012 05:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up. This is by far the most glaring design flaw of the JGC, I think. Then, what? Throw the dam in the back and haul it all over Moab or leave it on the side of the road?

This rig should be ready to go offroad right from the showroom floor.

It's almost, but not quite, as bad as some rigs that don't have full-size spares, a PIA.

Mongoose9400 02-23-2012 06:49 PM

I believe the owners guide shows how to remove the ACC IIRC, I'm sure I saw it in my SRT guide.

Sent from my iPad 3G

bbjrhome 02-24-2012 08:12 AM

Agree on the air dam being a PIA. Put the front tow hooks on last weekend. The most difficult part was the freaking front air dam. was afraid I was going to snap one of the tabs off even though I was using a panel separator. Putting it on wasn't a picnic either, seeing there isn't much support underneath the front license plate. It was a PIA getting the TAB to line up and go it.

JeepJunkie 02-24-2012 02:42 PM

Someone needs to design a "stubby" type replacement that covers the radiator but still gives you the clearance.