Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Blackout head/tail lights legal in MD? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/blackout-head-tail-lights-legal-in-md-18258.html)

Rhyme-Or-Reason 02-01-2011 07:35 AM

Blackout head/tail lights legal in MD?

Just curious..can we blackout the headlights in Maryland? Or should I expect a fix-it ticket in the mail?

mhassler 02-01-2011 09:13 AM

Re: Blackout head/tail lights legal in MD?

I believe they are illegal :(

I was doing research because I wanted to smoke my tailights and this is what I found, http://www.berwynheightspd.com/tinted%20windows.htm, if the link isn't there, PM me.

DAVY27 02-01-2011 09:27 AM

most likely not. i dont think cops will give you a hard time but unless its one of those days lol.

bumpin_jeep 02-01-2011 10:02 AM

I'm not sure about MD, but I did some research for IL last week and it said as long as you can see them light up from 500 ft away your A-okay.

Rhyme-Or-Reason 02-01-2011 02:15 PM

Thanks for all the info. I followed up on the link and it didn't say anything about smoking the headlights, which is what I really want to do. It did make a point of having different colored lights. Well, either way, it'll be $50 to find out, haha. Thanks again.

mhassler 02-01-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhyme-Or-Reason (Post 345985)
Thanks for all the info. I followed up on the link and it didn't say anything about smoking the headlights, which is what I really want to do. It did make a point of having different colored lights. Well, either way, it'll be $50 to find out, haha. Thanks again.

Thats what I got out of it. Like I mentioned, I was looking because I want to do my tailights; I found the tailight restrictions to be just as vague. Regardless, I believe its a secondary offense, meaning they can't pull you over just for the tint.

Are you going to have them smoked with film or paint? Where do you plan to get it done?

bumpin_jeep 02-01-2011 02:36 PM

Go through Daniel to get it done, heard that he does the best job around. I'm planning on getting mine done from him as soon as it gets a little warmer out, no need to be messing around with that in 20 below weather. Post picks though when you get it done!

Chaoul1 02-01-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhyme-Or-Reason (Post 345706)
Just curious..can we blackout the headlights in Maryland? Or should I expect a fix-it ticket in the mail?

IMO Only tint the Rear Tailights. Keep your headlights the way they are.

bumpin_jeep 02-01-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 346048)
IMO Only tint the Rear Tailights. Keep your headlights the way they are.

Yea, don't tint the headlights. IMO they don't look that good. Better off to open them up and paint the inside black.

jth_9 02-01-2011 04:06 PM

IMO I'd paint the headlight housing that way you dont have to tint them :D just my .02

DAVY27 02-01-2011 05:07 PM

or get the tinted covers

JTS97Z28 02-01-2011 05:34 PM

I agree tinted headlights look pretty gay. Sometimes a blacked out housing can look good if done right but other than that I would leave them alone. Plus, if you have a Limited or Overland you would be ruining the output of an amazing headlamp system, and with the Laredo making the already weak halogen headlights worse.
Tails do whatever you want to I just wouldnt go too dark then it starts to look ghetto. :-D

James