Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   500 mile plus trip - tire vibration (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/500-mile-plus-trip-tire-vibration-18266.html)

JeepLaw 02-01-2011 11:02 AM

500 mile plus trip - tire vibration

Just took the first long trip in the GC. Overall, great performance. the V6 was fine on the interstate, with plenty of pull, passing tractor trailers easily. The seats may be the best I have ever experienced for comfort and support. The vehicle tracks perfectly, and it is easy and fun to drive.
I did have a chance to take it on a steep snow covered, poorly paved road. Flawless going down, and flawless coming up, even with an inch or two of fresh snow on top of the packed snow. Didn't spin a wheel, and never moved the tran out of auto mode.
Two issues.
One involves the 430n. When my wifes phone is in the car, which is paired as no. 1 (mine is no. 2), I don't seem to be able to stream from my phone, as it gets the accelerated playback like others have had when the screen on the phone is lit (iPhone 3G). I don't have this problem if wife's phone is not in the car.
Second issue was a vibration that started at 77 mph and was present up to 83 mph (didn't go faster than that.) It felt like a tire issue to me, and was accentuated a little switching lanes. Up to 77, ride was smooth as glass. Not a huge vibration, did not feel like I was losing control, wasn't shaking or anything, just an annoying vibration.
Does this sound like a balance issue? Part of my concern stems from a previous experience with Continentals which were the subject of a class action and were OEM on some Chrysler 300s. They had a lining in the tire which was supposed to seal punctures, but it moved around and caused bad vibration.
BTW, I have the 20 inch goodyears forteras. I figure I will have to ask the dealer, but was looking for input here to see if anyone had any ideas.
Overall, loved the car for the long trip. I averaged 19.3, using 10% ethanol 87 octane. Only have about 1500 miles on it so far, and hope I can get a little better mileage with more break in and getting away from ethanol.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on the tires, or the 430n issue.

webspoke 02-01-2011 11:26 AM

Re: 500 mile plus trip - tire vibration

It sounds like a balance issue. I have over 5k on the current 20" goodyears and they have been very smooth.

moosehead 02-01-2011 11:31 AM

tire/wheel issue could be rubber or balance anomaly as you suggest, piece of ice or snow frozen to inside wheel, or maybe loose torque settings on lugnuts?

fwiw my 20" forteras and oem wheels, or 18" mopars with firestone dest at's run true at any and all speeds.

mrpositraction 02-01-2011 11:49 AM

Check your lug nuts :) Seriously!

mjw930 02-01-2011 12:09 PM

High speed vibration is probably not balance. Balance issues happen in and around 40MPH. High speed vibration is most likely a tire issue, most good tire stores should be able to sort it out. It's probably an out of round or radial runnout issue. Understand that tires are not warrantied by the dealer unless the dealer is also a tire reseller (some are).

JeepLaw 02-08-2011 04:24 PM

Took it to dealer, pulled both fronts and rebalanced them, - I took it out on the highway, ran it up to the speed where the vibration came on before (77 mph) and no vibration. Happy!

mrpositraction 02-09-2011 12:26 PM

Did they say they were out of balance? They could have been loose lug nuts and when they reinstalled the properly torqued them.

JeepLaw 02-09-2011 01:07 PM

MrP - They told me they were out of balance - doesn't mean the lugs could have been torqued wrong also, but apparently they pulled both wheels, and as soon as they put them on the machine they showed up as out of balance. I didn't have a chance to get it up over eighty, but it was smooth all the way up the dial, so I am figuring they identified the problem.
On a related note, I have the V6 and one thing I like about the engine is how it performs on the highway. It may not be quick off the line - cripes, it is big heavy beast anyway, that is one of it's appeals- but I feel like the engine pulls smooth and strong when I am doing 40 to 45 and I want to get up above 65 in a hurry. I know the V8 gives more oomph (I test drove the V8 a couple times) but I am very happy with V6. By comparison, one of the vehicles we looked at was the Cadillac SRX. It is a nice vehicle, good layout, lots of bells and whistles, but even besides the higher price tag, the thing I didn't like was the engine always felt like was working at its limits, with no reserve. With the Overland, I feel like I have more left in the gas pedal, whether it is passing , or climbing a hill, or even off the line. The Caddy had a little better gas mileage (it is lighter)(and don't get me wrong, I am not pretending to compare apples to apples here, the Jeep is in a different category) but even driving both Caddy engine offerings, the V6 and the turbo. the car seemed significantly underpowered. Don't feel that way with the Jeep at all.

Bmwister 02-09-2011 01:34 PM

The 20" are balanced with stick-on wheel weights that, in my experience with the type, have a greater tendency to come off over time depending on extreme road and weather conditions. Of course, an over-zealous detailer can wreak havoc on them as well. Regarding detailing...I can personally attest I am guilty of doing that very thing.
:detailer:

netcoolery 02-09-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwister (Post 351750)
The 20" are balanced with stick-on wheel weights that, in my experience with the type, have a greater tendency to come off over time depending on extreme road and weather conditions. Of course, an over-zealous detailer can wreak havoc on them as well. Regarding detailing...I can personally attest I am guilty of doing that very thing.

Which reminds me ... one of the things I do when I get a new vehicle (or new tires) is to write down the locations of the wheel weights. Should I ever experience vibrations, the first thing I do is go check and make sure I haven't "thrown a weight" (or lost it to a detailer - good point on that one.)