Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   OEM SRT8 vs. Reproduction (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/oem-srt8-vs-reproduction-18268.html)

ltdan 02-01-2011 11:18 AM

OEM SRT8 vs. Reproduction

Does anyone have any photos of an OEM SRT8 rim next to a reproduction?
How do they compare quality and finish wise?

robpp 02-01-2011 12:35 PM

Re: OEM SRT8 vs. Reproduction

one is cast and comes chromed or painted.

the other s forged and is only polished and cleared. and it has SRT machined into one spoke.

quality is night and day. forged vs cast.

iJeep 02-01-2011 12:41 PM

OEM vs aftermarket.. LOL. Are you for real? :eek: j/k

Scottina06 02-01-2011 12:51 PM

most forged high quality wheels are made from aerospace grade 6061-t6 aluminum billets that are extruded and then pressed with 50000 pounds presses and then heat treated. The forging process allows for the design of the wheel to follow the grain of the aluminum. But honestly...unless you are using the forged wheel in extreme conditions...road racing, drag strip, drifting etc. Its kind of overkill.
Cast wheels may use the same aluminum...but it has been melted and poured into forms...so it loses the grain that forged wheels have. Depending on the aluminum used and its alloy properties....it will be just a tad weaker than forged. They are perfect for street use because they are relatively cheap to replace.
I have a set of both the alcoa forged SRt wheels and the SRt replicas. Both are super high quality imo...with the alcoa forged wheels being just a tad better. The SRT replicas are only a couple pounds heavier than the oem SRT's. The replicas from what i have heard are also much easier to repair.

blackpepper 02-01-2011 12:58 PM

^^ +rep

Do you recall the actual weight difference?

Scottina06 02-01-2011 01:01 PM

its only like 2-4 pounds

ltdan 02-01-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iJeep (Post 345896)
OEM vs aftermarket.. LOL. Are you for real? :eek: j/k

Yep, just wanted to see what the difference was. I know the OEM Alcoa wheels are better quality, and have seen both separately, but have never seen the two side by side for a good comparison.
The downside of the OEMs are the price and that they only come in 20", and the downside of the aftermarket is that they are not as nice.

ltdan 02-01-2011 05:06 PM

Thanks for the great info Scottina06

Scottina06 02-01-2011 05:28 PM

I can confirm the replicas are just as nice and I guarantee that if set side by side with all marking removed...most people couldnt tell the difference

White Chocolate 02-01-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltdan (Post 346114)
Yep, just wanted to see what the difference was. I know the OEM Alcoa wheels are better quality, and have seen both separately, but have never seen the two side by side for a good comparison.
The downside of the OEMs are the price and that they only come in 20", and the downside of the aftermarket is that they are not as nice.

Explain how "they are not as nice"??

Because, I personally know of a few people who have sold their OEM rims, and bought factory reproductions.

tri0829 02-07-2011 10:14 PM

Where would do you buy the replicas are some worse than others? Is there anything to watch out for when your buying them?

Scottina06 02-07-2011 10:22 PM

ebay.com, factoryreproductions.com, oemwheelsllc.com and many others. they are ALL made by the same manufacturer in China. Factoryreproductions supposedly is the company to sponsor the manufacturing and the others jumped in on them later.