Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   First Oil Filter Change 5.7 Hemi (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/first-oil-filter-change-5-7-hemi-18273.html)

WK2OverlandII 02-01-2011 12:23 PM

First Oil Filter Change 5.7 Hemi

I have 2,000 miles on my JGC and wanted to change out the filter to get any metal shaving's that the filter catches and to get a new filter put on so it could do its job properly. Prior to changing my oil filter this morning, I always remember my Dad (the retired Mechanic for a Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealer) say when removing the original filter from a new vehicle that hasn't been changed before to make sure the old filter seal comes off with the filter. He would say the first time it usually sticks to the engine as you loosen the filter the side of the seal against the engine sticks and the seal separates from the filter.

When I took the filter off this morning I looked at the end where the seal should be and the seal was missing. I felt up where the filter screws fast to the engine and the seal was stuck there. I was able to peel the old seal off with my fingers off then wipe off the surface where it meets the engine. I wanted to pass this along to others doing the first Oil Filter change on the 5.7 Hemi with the external oil filter to see if any others had this problem? For those who haven’t to be aware of the issue. Don't get me wrong you always want to check to ensure the old filter seal comes off each time you change the filter but more so when it’s the first filter change as they always seem to stick. If the seal sticks fast and you screw the new filter on, it will more than likely leak because the new filter seal will not get a good seal against the old seal. I wanted to pass this along for those changing their own filters.

The oil looked very clean yet and smelled normal. It was very easy changing out the oil filter on the 5.7 Hemi and wasn’t as messy as I thought it would be. Where the filter screws fast there is a little “drip pan” or “spout” where the oil is funneled down which makes it nice as the oil stays in one area and is easier to catch and doesn’t make the mess as with some vehicles.:thumbsup:

Nickoland 02-01-2011 08:47 PM

Re: First Oil Filter Change 5.7 Hemi

Just did a full change myself. Seal came off with it, but it pretty tight quarters getting that filter off.

WK2OverlandII 02-01-2011 11:02 PM

I used an end cap filter wrench fit over the end of the filter. It connects to a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 3" extension it wasn't bad with that. I loosened it then turned it off by hand. The filter wrench would have been tight.

Nickoland 02-02-2011 11:49 AM

I never knew that existed, i will buying one of those.

WK2OverlandII 02-02-2011 12:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of it. I can't remember the name brand....for a couple bucks you should be able to get one a a local auto parts store just make sure you get the correct size to fit the Hemi filter its the same size as the filter that fit the 4.7L V8.

rdalcanto 02-02-2011 05:41 PM

My oil filter gasket did the same thing. I'm lucky I noticed that the filter I took off was missing the gasket, or I would have put the new filter on over it and had a leak for sure!

mjw930 02-03-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 346918)
My oil filter gasket did the same thing. I'm lucky I noticed that the filter I took off was missing the gasket, or I would have put the new filter on over it and had a leak for sure!

I wonder how many dealer mechanics fail to look and double stack the gasket?

Remember, the oil and lube job is one step above lot jockey in a dealership, you aren't getting the "best and brightest" in this position.

JTS97Z28 02-04-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 347366)
I wonder how many dealer mechanics fail to look and double stack the gasket?

Remember, the oil and lube job is one step above lot jockey in a dealership, you aren't getting the "best and brightest" in this position.

Exactly! I am SURE 90% of then dont or could careless. Just another reason I never take my vehicles anywhere else but my own garage for oil changes.

mjw930 02-05-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 348485)
Exactly! I am SURE 90% of then dont or could careless. Just another reason I never take my vehicles anywhere else but my own garage for oil changes.

I'm inconsistent on this. While I change the oil on most everything I own I do take advantage of dealership specials on oil changes, especially when they coincide with scheduled service visits. It's hard to beat a $19.95 deal on an oil change when you know it's also getting logged into the vehicles service record. That looks good on resale (I never trade, I always resell myself) and makes it easier if there is ever a warranty claim.

However, since it's been documented that the seal on the Hemi has a tendency to stay on the engine block I'll probably do the initial oil service myself well in advance of the 8000 mile recommended interval just so I know it's done right. I think it's more a result of the way the filter is installed from the factory and probably isn't an issue on subsequent changes, we'll see.

gostan4484 02-10-2011 12:09 PM

I had my dealer undertake the first oil change on my 11 JGCII Hemi yesterday.

This morning when I drove out of the garage, I noticed a 14 inch by 9 inch thin layer swatch of oil on the garge floor where the vehicle had been parked overnight.

Am I to assume that the grease jockey at my dealership did not remove the original oil filter seal and/or does not know how to conduct a simple oil change?

mjw930 02-10-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gostan4484 (Post 352465)
I had my dealer undertake the first oil change on my 11 JGCII Hemi yesterday.

This morning when I drove out of the garage, I noticed a 14 inch by 9 inch thin layer swatch of oil on the garge floor where the vehicle had been parked overnight.

Am I to assume that the grease jockey at my dealership did not remove the original oil filter seal and/or does not know how to conduct a simple oil change?

Based on the oil slick I would say your assumption is correct on both counts.

Cherodude 02-10-2011 03:31 PM

The other possibility is that when the grease jockey removed the filter he spilled oil onto the exterior engine block or other under-car components. In cold weather this oil might take a while to completely drain off, but in your warmer garage it could drip overnight.

Look under the engine. Is there a drip coming from around the oil filter -- that would indicate an improper seal there. And check that the oil level is not down. Or you might see if there are other oil drip sources,