Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Blower gone or loose wire?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/blower-gone-or-loose-wire-18277.html)

tkln 02-01-2011 02:00 PM

Blower gone or loose wire??

We're up in Vermont for a few days....had the remote start going for a few minutes, brought the dogs with us for a trip to a few stores...we start driving and I notice that the windows are fogging up...car is warmed up, no heat, nothing is coming out of the vents...drove to the local service shop, guy took a quick look and said it was probably the blower and suggested we call the dealer. Closest dealer to where we are is 45 minutes in good weather....currently snowing and blizzard coming late tonight...

Turned the car off and on a few times thinking it was an electrical problem or something, no luck....ran a few errands with the windows down and wiping the windshield as we were all freezing (10 degrees)...got back to our place (which is 7 miles from town) and put it in the carport, turned the heat on just in case it decided to work, and everything was working fine. :confused: We're going to try and head out again in a bit and see if it works then.

Anybody have a similar issue or any thoughts? Wondering if maybe there's a loose connection or something? I've never had any issues before but I'm worried about having a problem in the blizzard or on the ride home on Thursday...

mjw930 02-01-2011 02:14 PM

Re: Blower gone or loose wire??

Check all of your fuses in the IPM under the hood. Specifically J15 (Green Cartridge Fuse) and M11 (Mini fuse). There have been a couple posts about loose fuses, it's worth a try.

tkln 02-02-2011 07:08 PM

Sorry for the late reply but thanks for the suggestion...haven't had a chance to get under the hood due to the weather but I will once we get back home tomorrow night...so far, fingers crossed, everything has been okay!

claytonmagnet 02-03-2011 10:54 PM

I have had this happen a couple of times. It only seemed to be an issue when it was -25-30 Celcius. It seemed like the blower motor had very restricted or no flow even though it was on high. Each time it seemed to go away after the vehicle had been ran for a while and everything warmed up but it probably took 30min. I haven't had a chance to take it in to the dealer to check it out yet but it will be on my list once I get it booked in for it's first service.

tkln 02-04-2011 02:00 PM

It was about 10F when it happened but it did in fact come back on after about 30 minutes...it was colder the day before and it worked fine, which is why I didn't think it was cold related but we'll see what the dealer says!

billydog 02-10-2011 06:51 PM

tkln, claytonmagnet: have the dealers been any help? Mine is doing the same thing and has spent four days in the shop only to tell me that this is normal. My blower resumes proper operation when in park or neutral and almost cuts off the entire flow of air while in drive or reverse.

I called Chrysler customer service and they told me that this is part of the logic control module. Given the many posts on this forum and jeepforum .com about the same issue somebody must know what is going on. It seems that Chrysler thinks that we only need to be able to see out the windshield while we are sitting in the driveway.

pbalias 02-10-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billydog (Post 352795)
tkln, claytonmagnet: have the dealers been any help? Mine is doing the same thing and has spent four days in the shop only to tell me that this is normal. My blower resumes proper operation when in park or neutral and almost cuts off the entire flow of air while in drive or reverse.

I called Chrysler customer service and they told me that this is part of the logic control module. Given the many posts on this forum and jeepforum .com about the same issue somebody must know what is going on. It seems that Chrysler thinks that we only need to be able to see out the windshield while we are sitting in the driveway.

x2. I'm so pissed about this. I've posted on the other forum too. unfortunately this week I've ben traveling for work so I haven't had a chance to call ChryCo. I definitely will address this issue next week though.

It's GOT to be a problem. There's no way the system was designed to do this.

claytonmagnet 02-11-2011 12:23 AM

I haven't taken it into the dealer yet. It has been working fine for a couple of weeks now. When it wasn't working there was no difference in park or drive. I'm not sure how the system is set up but the one time it quit working for a long time it was started with the remote start twice and there was snow on the vehicle and it was very cold. I don't know where the cab air intake is or if it has some type of filter so I was wondering if it was possible to suck in snow or freeze up the filter and restrict airflow.

billydog 02-12-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonmagnet (Post 352992)
I haven't taken it into the dealer yet. It has been working fine for a couple of weeks now. When it wasn't working there was no difference in park or drive. I'm not sure how the system is set up but the one time it quit working for a long time it was started with the remote start twice and there was snow on the vehicle and it was very cold. I don't know where the cab air intake is or if it has some type of filter so I was wondering if it was possible to suck in snow or freeze up the filter and restrict airflow.

You may be onto something. I have noticed that if I don't clear the snow from hood tha the blower will work from rest until I accelerate enough to cause the snow to blow over the air intake at the base of the windshield then the air stops coming out.

I don't think though that it is getting clogged or frozen because when I stopped and put it in Neutral it again resumes normal operation.

pbalias 02-12-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billydog (Post 354218)
You may be onto something. I have noticed that if I don't clear the snow from hood tha the blower will work from rest until I accelerate enough to cause the snow to blow over the air intake at the base of the windshield then the air stops coming out.

I don't think though that it is getting clogged or frozen because when I stopped and put it in Neutral it again resumes normal operation.

I really don't think the snow has anything to do with it. My truck is garaged and still functions this way. I REALLY hope enough people complain to generate a TSB for this.