Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   HELP No Crank No Start Just a Click (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/help-no-crank-no-start-just-a-click-18322.html)

fenner408 02-02-2011 03:56 PM

HELP No Crank No Start Just a Click

So tried to start the jeep (05 5.7 75k) this morning and one click every time. Battery is 3 months old but i put a jump pack on it any ways and still nothing. I then got under it and beat on the starter to no avail. I have a starter coming in at the parts shop but want to get your guys' opinions before rip it apart.

Scottina06 02-02-2011 03:58 PM

Re: HELP No Crank No Start Just a Click

hmmm...the wk batteries are notorious for just going bad...but if its only 3 months old???? Soundslike the starter....

GR33N D3M0N 02-02-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 346824)
hmmm...the wk batteries are notorious for just going bad...but if its only 3 months old???? Soundslike the starter....

x2 how many miles on the jeep?

Edit: apparently i cant read...usually the starters go out around 60k? i believe, so that makes even more sense

dcjeepgc 02-02-2011 04:16 PM

You might want to check the starter connections/terminals to see that the connections are tight....along with the battery but I assume you have already checked the battery. Wouldn't hurt and if this is the problem you will save the cost of replacing a starter that doesn't need replacing. Just ensure that you disconnect the negative batery terminal before you go putting a screw driver to the starter terminals.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-02-2011 04:39 PM

starter, mine went out the same way and around the same time.

Marlin 02-02-2011 05:28 PM

Yeah.... starter.

fenner408 02-02-2011 07:15 PM

Well guys I took the fenderwell out, so I could reach the wires. Wiggled em an she fired right off. So hopefully she stays fixed. Thanks for the input guys.
:thumbsup:

Marlin 02-02-2011 07:25 PM

Hopefully :)
But stay prepared ;)

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-02-2011 07:30 PM

i would replace it now if i were you so it doesnt die in some random place and you need an expensive tow

wkjeepgirl86 02-02-2011 08:09 PM

This seams to be a common problem with the wk but i was always told that if it clicks its the battery or corrosion on a connection on the battery from a loose wire or corrosion. When a starter goes bad the starter wont click at all it should be completely dead with no clicking. Now i wont let just anyone work on my cars and only trust one person because he is family otherwise i do all my own work and oly let him work on it when its a really big job and the lift comes in handy. So im not trying to say its not possible but can anyone confirm this with the wk or am i the only one that wont let anyone work on my cars cuz i know there all dirty and will lie to make a fast buck

kyle.jg 02-02-2011 08:43 PM

If it's the same thing that happened with my 06 the other week... Put it into neutral and move it a bit, then try and start.

My starter didn't like the position it was in on the fly wheeel, or it was somehow frozen. Moving it a bit, put it in a different place and it started right up.

Marlin 02-02-2011 08:49 PM

Ummmm, moving the vehicle in neutral will have no effect on the position of the engine flywheel..... I thinks you just got lucky :)