Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   EGR Valve... where to purchase? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/egr-valve-where-to-purchase-18342.html)

Marlin 02-02-2011 10:32 PM

EGR Valve... where to purchase?

I've no fault codes, but I think my EGR valve is stuffed.

Symptoms are hunting idle and what feels like pretty slack performance.

Any suggestions where to purchase and have sent to australia? I just know the Ozzie dealers will want a testicle as trade.

blackpepper 02-02-2011 11:11 PM

Re: EGR Valve... where to purchase?

Maybe two.. :worried:

I'll be following this thread, as well. Do you have a part number yet?

Marlin 02-02-2011 11:14 PM

No I don't have a number yet :(

I thought it was a common issue and assumed J4J would have them listed, but no luck :(

Also, no matter how easy I drive the thing, it's using more fuel than usual. Even more. lol

blackpepper 02-02-2011 11:20 PM

Fatty :D

I'll call the dealer in the morning to get some information.

I also heard that this could be a warranty issue (if that helps) so I'll check into that as well.

Marlin 02-02-2011 11:34 PM

Tidy work my friend :)

I'll be here waitin!

jeepgcoman 02-03-2011 12:32 PM

Try Rockauto.com

lll2for3lll 02-03-2011 01:40 PM

Will replacing the EGR valve improve gas milage? I don't have the light neither but my gas milage has dropped.

lll2for3lll 02-03-2011 02:08 PM

Just called the dealer...they recommend that I replace the PCV valve. He said not recommended but it would help with fuel economy. He said to only replace the EGR valve if it throws the light.

PCV labor: $15
And the part is even cheaper I think. I have it done when I do the differential service.

jeepgcoman 02-03-2011 06:35 PM

lll2for3lll, it takes about one minute to change the PCV valve if you have a 5.7. Do it yourself. There are plenty of threads on the EGR. Some of us feel they go bad over time until they get so bad that they trip a DTC. Mine did trip a DTC at ~54K. I reset it and it came back a day or two later. Before I changed it though I set up a screen on my DashHawk and monitored the commanded EGR %age and the error %age. With the bad valve the commanded and error %ages are all over the place, rapidly fluctuating and even indicating unrealistic (>100%) numbers. My theory is that the PCM tries to keep up (by changing timing, fuel mixture, etc.), but is unable to do so. My symptoms were, fluctuating or hunting idle, low speed (~30-45 mph) surging, poor performance and reduced (more than normal, LOL) fuel economy. With the new valve installed the commanded %ages, when warm on the highway, run 50-65%, with error %ages plus or minus 0-5%. Also regarding the PCV valve, if you have the 5.7, take off the intake silencer, manually open the throttle body butterfly (with the key OFF) and look at the backside of it. Also, with the butterfly open, shine a light into the plenum behind the TB and check out the contamination, and see if there is puddling of oil. Once you do this you'll see why many of us are using a catch can to put a stop to it and prevent it from happening again.

lll2for3lll 02-03-2011 06:44 PM

^^^Thanks a lot. Since they are both cheap, I might just goahead and replace the PCV and EGR valve.

blackpepper 02-03-2011 07:11 PM

Marlin I called the dealer and when they call me back I'll get a part number for you.

I recently replaced the PCV valve when I had my plugs changed around 10k miles ago but I did nothing with the EGR nor have I ever seen a light relating to the EGR but I do feel the surging and I don't need a yellow light to tell me that something is fishy.

California might cover the repair if I am able to get the EGR fixed at the dealer. New car buyers are protected by a state with a 8yr/80k warranty.

lll2for3lll 02-03-2011 07:20 PM

Aw man....I didn't even think to get the part number for the guy. Sorry.