Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   VOTE For The Next Group Buy - WHATCHA WANT??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/vote-for-the-next-group-buy-whatcha-want-18355.html)

TTUMBIO2010 02-03-2011 10:50 AM

VOTE For The Next Group Buy - WHATCHA WANT???

Now that the first group buy has reached 50+ paid and we are just waiting to receive them, I figured we could start to get the ball rolling on the next group buy.

So.....what does everyone want next?

If you want something not in the poll originally, please share it below, and if it receives support it can become one of the placeholders.

Vote away.

moosehead 02-03-2011 11:03 AM

Re: VOTE For The Next Group Buy - WHATCHA WANT???

Mopar, AFE, Bwoody, Air Raid, or K&N CAI. Hellloooo?

We've been patient, there's 70k+ potential customers already, come on now.

mrpositraction 02-03-2011 11:16 AM

How about some nerf bars (chrome or black, maybe both), rock gaurds rails (or whatever you call them). I would also be down for a CAI if the price is right, but they typically come with a need for a tune, so that is something else.

Or lets get crazy and get a supercharger group buy so we can keep up with the SRT8 boys :)

Cperez 02-03-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 347369)
Mopar, AFE, Bwoody, Air Raid, or K&N CAI. Hellloooo?

We've been patient, there's 70k+ potential customers already, come on now.

I would appreciate a primer on CAI from a seasoned JG'er. I did a quick search on the fora but mostly see chatter among already educated CAI folks, or pleas for someone to develop one for our WK2s. I get the basic principle involved but would be interested in hearing pros/cons, expected performance gains, costs, warranty issues (doubtful since it looks like Mopar will be offering this at some point), etc. Even a few bullet points would be helpful and appreciated. Armed with a bit of knowledge I might just go for it.

TTUMBIO2010 02-03-2011 11:26 AM

Placeholder #1 = Cold Air Intake

mhassler 02-03-2011 11:35 AM

Curious, wouldn't potential "group buy" items need to from an outside source, e.g., not MOPAR?

I voted for the Tow Hooks (assumed OEM and I would love a discount on OEM rock rails) but do you think we have the ability to get a discount from MOPAR? Or is the plan to target a specific dealer, have them order a large volume and sell them to us at dealer price? Or are we talking no MOPAR parts all together?

Aside from the MOPAR parts that many people want we may be limited in our group buy options; at this point. The only current items that come quickly to mind from a 3rd party vendor (like the Shark Fin) would be for HiD Fogs & LED lights (interior & exterior). Other items, such as Weather-Tec or Husky slush mats or a K&N Drop-in Air Filter would have to come through a wholesaler.

Again, all assumptions and I hope I am wrong. I am not trying to be a naysayer I just want to put it out there as something to consider before 80+ people chime in on what they would like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTUMBIO2010 (Post 347399)
Placeholder #1 = Cold Air Intake

Regarding the CAI... I've been trying to get a hold of Michael at BWoody. If I get out of work at a decent hour tonight I will drop in. No weekend hours for them makes it very tough. Perhaps if I can tell him that I have -x- amount of people interested they'd be more receptive.

moosehead 02-03-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 347393)
I would appreciate a primer on CAI from a seasoned JG'er. I did a quick search on the fora but mostly see chatter among already educated CAI folks, or pleas for someone to develop one for our WK2s. I get the basic principle involved but would be interested in hearing pros/cons, expected performance gains, costs, warranty issues (doubtful since it looks like Mopar will be offering this at some point), etc. Even a few bullet points would be helpful and appreciated. Armed with a bit of knowledge I might just go for it.

CP, poor man's short story is the CAI is quasi-similar to those breathe right strips that open up an athlete's nostrils a bit to let in a more O2's.

Generally, CAI's provide a less restrictive, more direct, and perhaps a larger diameter air intake to the throttle body to get air into the engine more efficiently and theoretically gain a bit of HP and better MPG. As the name indicates, the CAI also tries to source colder air than that produced in the warmer engine bay. Check a search on Bwoody's elongated intake tubes, and see the other manufacturer's methods to separate the filter intake from the engine bay's hotter temps. Other's will also open up the throttle body diameter to allow more air flow into the engine.

Quasi-similar story for exhaust upgrades, they get spent air out more efficiently in a less muffled system and the engine can work better. Add a tuning chip and BAM, let the big dogs eat.

Instead of waxing philosophic, Wiki has a decent summary for the CAI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake

Bradmo8 02-03-2011 11:41 AM

Chrome Side Steps
Chrome Fog Light Bezel
Slush Mats

TTUMBIO2010 02-03-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhassler (Post 347407)
Curious, wouldn't potential "group buy" items need to from an outside source, e.g., not MOPAR?

I voted for the OEM Tow Hooks (and I would love a discount on OEM rock rails) but do you think we have the ability to get a discount from MOPAR? Or is the plan to target a specific dealer, have them order a large volume and sell them to us at dealer price?

Good question! I know there is a site vendor, JustForJeeps, who may be interested in handling a group buy for OEM parts. But I also thought about contacting dealerships, most likely the larger ones, or those who have their part departments on eBay. They will be familiar with online communication, PayPal, and already set up to take credit cards in house.

netcoolery 02-03-2011 11:47 AM

Wasn't there a thread showing off some fairly decent third party rock rails? The Mopar ones are a touch pricey. I'd vote for quality third party rock rails.

mrpositraction 02-03-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTUMBIO2010 (Post 347422)
Good question! I know there is a site vendor, JustForJeeps, who may be interested in handling a group buy for OEM parts. But I also thought about contacting dealerships, most likely the larger ones, or those who have their part departments on eBay. They will be familiar with online communication, PayPal, and already set up to take credit cards in house.

If we get something OEM and want to try a dealer I have a good friend that is a parts guy and I am sure will give us the best deal available.

Mashie 02-03-2011 12:24 PM

my vote is for the lighted door sills :)