Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Lockpick, NAV-TV, questions between the two (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/lockpick-nav-tv-questions-between-the-two-18362.html)

automag928 02-03-2011 01:19 PM

Lockpick, NAV-TV, questions between the two

So I've been reading up on the capabilities of Lockpick and Nav-TV, and have a question. From what I have read Lockpick shows your speed as 0 on your nav after installing? Does NAV-TV do the same?

Basically what I am trying to do is get dvd's playing for kids in the back...and with the active headrests and the panaramic sunroof I'm trying to think outside the box - while not losing the function of either. Any suggestions are appreciated!

FrankNJ1 02-03-2011 01:58 PM

Re: Lockpick, NAV-TV, questions between the two

From prior experience with Nav-TV I would go with them. The owner and founder Moni is a genius with all make and models of vehicles. I have used their products extensively in BMW's, Mercedes, and Toyotas with zero issues.

HEMInator 02-03-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankNJ1 (Post 347521)
From prior experience with Nav-TV I would go with them. The owner and founder Moni is a genius with all make and models of vehicles. I have used their products extensively in BMW's, Mercedes, and Toyotas with zero issues.

+1 -- I have the NAV-TV's ALLGIG installed on my 2009 Ram Laramie and plan to install one in the JGC when I get it as well. Easy to install yourself, direct plug and play and works like a charm.

DieselvRR 02-04-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automag928 (Post 347499)
So I've been reading up on the capabilities of Lockpick and Nav-TV, and have a question. From what I have read Lockpick shows your speed as 0 on your nav after installing? Does NAV-TV do the same?

Basically what I am trying to do is get dvd's playing for kids in the back...and with the active headrests and the panaramic sunroof I'm trying to think outside the box - while not losing the function of either. Any suggestions are appreciated!

From speaking with the Nav-TV Rep, the NAV-TV All Gig shows "0" on the Nav only during video in motion. Which wouldnt matter if you have the video playing in place of the navi screen anyways. But if you were to switch to the NAV screen while the video is playing in motion, the MPH would show "0".

IndyBob 02-04-2011 08:43 AM

That's better than my LockPick. It shows zero in the NAV all the time.

My objective was to allow input of address into the NAV while moving. LockPick does that. Does the NAV-TV do that also?

mrpositraction 02-04-2011 09:23 AM

I have the NAV-TV for this 730N-RER and I like it now. I bought it Late December and the December software version had some hiccups in it. The January software has fixed everything and it works like a champ! Updating is easy as soon as you figure out what you need to do. The power needs to be off, problem is, as soon as you open a door the power comes on. I found it easiest to pull the radio fuse to do the updates and change the options you want to use.

I am very happy with the NAV-TV I have.

I have a question though, how do you guys see the speed on the Nav itself? I have never been able to see the mph calculated on the Nav!

DieselvRR 02-04-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyBob (Post 348101)
That's better than my LockPick. It shows zero in the NAV all the time.

My objective was to allow input of address into the NAV while moving. LockPick does that. Does the NAV-TV do that also?

NAV-TV does allow input for navigation while moving. Now that I think about it, I should have asked him to clarify the "0" MPH while NOT watching a movie in motion. He mentioned a toggle, but it was during the online chat and I dont remember

mjw930 02-04-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselvRR (Post 348133)
NAV-TV does allow input for navigation while moving. Now that I think about it, I should have asked him to clarify the "0" MPH while NOT watching a movie in motion. He mentioned a toggle, but it was during the online chat and I dont remember

I'm interested as well but I'm unwilling to lose the MPH indication on the NAV. With the Garmin you have a lot of features enabled by MPH such as speed vs. published speed limit and ETA to destination. The ETA is auto updated based on average speed, distance to destination and overage speed of the roads between your current position and your destination. Surprisingly it works very well. People love to rag on the Garmin but its user interface is the result of years of development and millions of real miles of real world use. I do not consider it a downgrade as the ONLY 2 features it lacks, IMHO are voice command and dead reckoning (which I never need).

kmt16 02-04-2011 01:52 PM

I have the Lockpick CHR550 for my 730 and I like it a lot. The IPOD interface on the screen is much better than the stock ipod interface. The resolution from the IPOD is mediocre at best on album cover but movies and tv shows look good. Also enjoy playing concert dvds while in motion. The actual Lockpick system allows you to plug into the headrest monitors if you get them and it is nice being able to input destination and other things while in motion.

Both systems sound pretty similar but i think the Nav-TV lacks an IPOD hookup? I haven't heard anything about the ipod use.

automag928 02-05-2011 09:09 AM

Interesting...Like mjw930, I really didnt want to lose the mph on the nav system. Last night we were out and about in the JGC, and my wife went to put an address in and I guess she didnt realize, no inputting while moving. First thing she said, "that lockpick thing you were talking about, you need to get it now..."

mjw930 02-05-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automag928 (Post 348677)
Interesting...Like mjw930, I really didnt want to lose the mph on the nav system. Last night we were out and about in the JGC, and my wife went to put an address in and I guess she didnt realize, no inputting while moving. First thing she said, "that lockpick thing you were talking about, you need to get it now..."

Sounds like you have approval to buy from the CFO, I wouldn't wait too long, she may rescind approval :cool:

Cperez 02-05-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automag928 (Post 348677)

Wow, talk about a free shot at the goal! Anytime the spousal unit pre-approves a mod, you gotta jump on it, I don't care what it is or if you even need it or not. :lol::lol: